PDA

View Full Version : SOMEONE JUST PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY NOW

Pike
08-29-2012, 11:53 PM
I just finished a sixteen hour work shift.

Sixteen. Hours. At. Work.

It came hot on the heels of an eleven hour work shift with just seven hours inbetween.

Talk about times you have had to do the WORST THING EVER for an excruciating amount of time.

Hollycat
08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I got nothing.

What work do you do again?

Shorty
08-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Working seven days a week for three weeks in a row not and not getting paid overtime because your boss scandalously dispersed your forty hours throughout those the seven days of the week is the worst thing ever. I also used to work two jobs that totaled a minimum of 14.5 hours a day and got one day off a week, so that was pretty terrible, too.

Sixteen hours sucks, though, man :(

Pike
08-29-2012, 11:58 PM
What work do you do again?

I take things out of boxes and put them on shelves. I also walk around a lot. My feet are about to fall off.

Hollycat
08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
I take things out of boxes and put them on shelves. I also walk around a lot. My feet are about to fall off.
You and I have the opposite jobs. I take things off shelves and put them in boxes. Also I'm in charge of the Plemons. Yeah, standing up and walking around for a long time does that. I suppose you are on concrete as well?

Sephex
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM
I once worked a 12 hour shift in a pro shop at a ice arena many years ago. There was no real work in terms of a physical sense, but it was mind numbingly boring because it was a very slow day.

I ended up being so slackeriffic at that job that I brought in a PlayStation with a screen attached to it. I beat most of a playthrough of FFIX while working. No one ever found out.

Freya
08-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I had to bu new comfier shoes today cause my feet are sore form all the works.

Quindiana Jones
08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm about to be doing 10 - 14 hours a day, but it'll be something engaging and challenging. Plus, I'll enjoy it. So whilst I can sympathise, I cannot imagine how shitty it must be to work a job like that for that long. xD

Poor Pike.

Slothy
08-30-2012, 01:31 AM
I used to pull 11 hour evening shifts (more like afternoon until 1am) on a regular basis when I was working at a call center. Now I won't try to belittle how rough working 11 hours one day then 16 hours only 7 hours later is, but if someone came to me now and made me choose between the two, I'd probably take your job Pike.

Who needs feet? I just never want to have to deal with people who hate my guts over the phone again. I've actually had something of a phobia about phones ever since. I absolutely hate calling people I don't know for work because I'm literally afraid they'll be half as bad as the people I used to deal with.

fire_of_avalon
08-30-2012, 02:45 AM
For five months I worked 10 hour days without a day off between two jobs.

Faris
08-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Pike, I thought you had another moth attack.

The worst thing I had to do for awful amount of time has probably been suppressed. Eventually I will explode with all the suppressing I do :greenie:

Jowy
08-30-2012, 02:54 AM
I used to work two hours overtime a day at my current job and then work Saturday.

Then I stopped giving a shit. Like the work I do? Pay me more.

Raistlin
08-30-2012, 03:15 AM
There was a couple week period at an old job where I worked ~10 hour days. It wasn't too bad, though, because I got lots of overtime.

The worst was probably not work related, during my second year of law school. There was one week where I only got about 3-4 hours of sleep for several days in a row while working on several different big things (on top of classes). That was truly the week from hell.

G13
08-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Last week I worked a thirteen followed by a twelve with four hours of sleep in between. I worked six hours the day after that with another four hours of sleep, but by then my body was too numb to notice the waves of fatigue washing over it.

Rantz
08-30-2012, 07:30 AM
You and I have the opposite jobs. I take things off shelves and put them in boxes.

Drama bomb!!

Jiro
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Nah I did like a 14 hour shift once which was horrible but my job is a tad less physically taxing than yours. I've had long days where I've then gone to training though and that shit is horrible

Shlup
08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
The longest I've worked was a few twelve hour shifts when I worked at a daycare, and they only gave me one break.

That boss got fired soon after, thankfully. And I didn't dislike the work, it was just exhausting.

Yesterday I worked in a shop without any air conditioning. It was over 90F outside and those culottes don't breathe!

Pike
08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I used to pull 11 hour evening shifts (more like afternoon until 1am) on a regular basis when I was working at a call center. Now I won't try to belittle how rough working 11 hours one day then 16 hours only 7 hours later is, but if someone came to me now and made me choose between the two, I'd probably take your job Pike.

Don't worry, I would too.

Pike, I thought you had another moth attack.

I actually did a couple of days ago. It was in the shower. :(

Miriel
08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
I had to get a bite wound flushed. When the doctor told me, I was like "oh ok, sure" because it sounded fairly innocuous. But no, it was excruciating. Worse than the bite itself.

They take a huge pitcher of saline solution and then pump it through one of the holes of the wound and push the water through so that it comes out the other hole. And I mean, it shoots out of there with incredible pressure. I had water flying out of my arm, hitting the walls of the doctor's office. And with the water comes out blood and fat particles. And your skin is just sorta flapping as the water shoots out. They did this over and over until all the water was gone. Horrible experience!

So that took half an hour. I know that seems short compared to several hours of work, but believe me, the time went SLOWLY. Every second was accounted for. -_-

I've also worked 14 hour days before, on my feet, carrying 15 pounds of equipment on my shoulders. Not cool.

Christmas
08-30-2012, 12:16 PM

It came hot on the heels of an eleven hour work shift with just seven hours inbetween.

Talk about times you have had to do the WORST THING EVER for an excruciating amount of time.

Poor thing. Hug hug? :(

I think the thing that sux most is that bringing WORK home to WORK after WORKING hours. :(

Slothy
08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
They take a huge pitcher of saline solution and then pump it through one of the holes of the wound and push the water through so that it comes out the other hole. And I mean, it shoots out of there with incredible pressure. I had water flying out of my arm, hitting the walls of the doctor's office. And with the water comes out blood and fat particles. And your skin is just sorta flapping as the water shoots out. They did this over and over until all the water was gone. Horrible experience!

As much as I'm sure that hurt like hell, I don't think I really understood why someone would want to be a doctor until now. Pain aside, that sounds so cool.

Peegee
08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

24 hour shift.

When I worked with my dad we did essentially cat5/3 (data/voice) cable moves. Like the company will for some reason or another move all of their furniture 3 feet to the east. Then 3 feet to the west. Several times a year. Hey it paid for our livelihood who am I to argue?

So what we had to do was cut all of the jacks out and pull out the cable and put it in a corner. Then the furniture people will disassemble the furniture and move it 3 feet to the east and assemble it.

When they are done we go in and pull all the cables back where they were and terminate them.

Got it? Good. It's Sunday evening and we have to finish up 3 more desks. Everything's terminated. Let's test them....they don't work.

WTF? troubleshoot. Try again. Same. WTF????

hours pass. Dad goes into the switch room. I go crazy and delirious. I misplace a pen. (my dad took it and I didn't know) It makes me snap. I want this to end. I contemplate suicide. It was terrible.

Dad comes back. We finish up the job. It's 5am. Monday morning. People will come into the office soon. All is well in the world.

NEVER AGAIN

Sephex
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Pike, next time you have to work a long shift think of this pic and it will cheer you up.

EDIT: Not linking correctly, so just click. http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qov4v/

Clo
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Having a student's water break in my class.

Jinx
08-31-2012, 12:06 AM
48hr shift.

Now wut.

Sephex
08-31-2012, 12:25 AM
48hr shift.

Now wut.

For real? How would that even work?

Pheesh
08-31-2012, 01:07 AM
I've worked from 6am till about 9pm a few times because the concrete wouldn't dry or because lifting panels can take all day and no one wants to pay the extra money to leave a crane on site overnight. The worst thing is walking around a work site with only a few hastily constructed spotlights while 3+ tonne concrete panels are suspended above you.

~*~Celes~*~
08-31-2012, 03:57 AM
Yesterday was the last day off I'll see till NEXT Friday. I've worked 7 days straight before, but not 9. 6 1/2 months Pregnant Working Kari doesn't like this -_- But it's because I requested the whole weekend off, so maybe I should just grin and bear it ;-;

Iceglow
08-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Working 7 days a week for a total of some 60+ hours a week between 2 customer facing busy jobs for 9 months solid. With just 1 day off in that entire period of time, which was Christmas Day.

I also worked an 18 hour shift on the end of a week of 10 - 12 hour shifts. The shift finished at 2:45am. I was due back in work at 08:00 the next day. I had a 1.5 hour journey home to make, I then has to impromptually meet the head of Nintendo Europe. I was an absolute wreck propped up on Red Bull.