PDA

View Full Version : Animal house

Raistlin
08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Due to my uncle's illness that is not the point of this thread, my mom has added three new cats to her household for the foreseeable future. She already has two, resulting in five cats wandering the house. I warned my mom that five is right around crazy cat lady territory, but she wouldn't listen. Her existing two are indoor/outdoor cats, so the crowding is temporarily relieved. But the three new cats will all follow people around and investigate any movement like dogs.

I am currently visiting my mom as I wait to move in to my new apartment, and have been helping out with the cats. Taking two of them to the vet recently was not fun, especially considering that my mom's old cats do not particularly like the new invaders.

What's the most animals you've ever had? Have you ever owned your own zoo like Shorty, or have you only had a sane amount of pets?

Freya
08-30-2012, 06:04 AM
THE MOST? Well at the most I had 8 cats, 8 dogs, 3 peacocks, 23 chickens, 42 horses and a goat. At one time.

I dunno what our current count is... still 8 dogs, 4 cats, dunno how many chickens and horses we have. Oh one red bull! No more goat or peacocks though :( I've had fish, gerbils, hamsters, and a hedgehog though.

Citizen Bleys
08-30-2012, 06:13 AM
The maximum acceptable number of cats is three. I visited one of my father's friends once; she had four cats. I was there for six hours (we helped finish her deck). At no point during those six hours could I look in any direction and *not* see at least one cat. Usually two. Therefour four is too many.

Agent Proto
08-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Freya, you live on a farm. (...used to!) That shouldn't count for this thread!

The most animals my family had at the house... was two cats. Or maybe three if I decided to include the stray kitten that briefly stuck around before it died. :(

Freya
08-30-2012, 06:15 AM
You're just jealous cause I win the animal thread. :D When I went off to college, of course I couldn't have a pet in the dorm and that year I went crazy without having an animal around. I grew up with so many that I now find people who don't have any pets weird. People who don't like animals are weird.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-30-2012, 07:00 AM
The most I had was 2 cats. Due to the Association rules or w/e you wanna call them we are only aloud 1 animal either a cat or a dog under 30 lbs. So my step bro took the other cat with him only to give it away to someone else so he could get a dog.

Jiro
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
I owned like one pet at any one time except all the wildlife used to pop round and be friendly as fuck. You ever had a wild kookaburra on your shoulder? Of course fucking not you unaustralian :bou::bou::bou::bou:s :(

Shlup
08-30-2012, 08:56 AM
I had my two ferrets, hedgehog, goldfishes and hissing cockroaches at the same time. It was the happiest I've ever been.

Faris
08-30-2012, 12:18 PM
One cat, one dog, and about 5 fish is the most that was in this house at once.

Christmas
08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Think I used to have two hamsters. :bigsmile:

They like to chu chu chu~~~~~~~ every night like a pair of wild beast. :bigsmile:

Then before I knew it, I got a family of hamstesr!! :bigsmile:

Aahh~~~ the magic of chu chu chu~~~~~~~. :bigsmile:

Jowy
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
two of my exes fucking pomeranians that drove me insane

now i have one cat

Peegee
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
My friends once had a dog, a cat, and a bunny. And despite trying to clean up, spending an entire day there actually caused me to suffer pretty severe allergic reactions.

The bunny passed away so it's slightly better (esp if I wash my hands every hour) when I visit.

Bam.

Personally I've never had more than three pets in the same house, and only temporarily. At home it's usually just one pet at a time. We don't have time to take care of farms.

Tigmafuzz
08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Well at the most I had 8 cats, 8 dogs, 3 peacocks, 23 chickens, 42 horses and a goat.

I have also had these things :D except for the peacocks. One of the neighbors at Sarah's old apartment had a peacock that would get out and roam the complex. He was an asshole. That made us not want peacocks. But I have had horses and goats when I was living on the ranch and a lot of my families raised chickens (I smurfing love chickens) and we currently have 8 cats and 2 dogs and a chinchilla now. Also some of the stray raccoons and possums are playful so we take care of them too because they love us :bigsmile: the baby skunks under the neighbor's house love to play with the cats and it's adorable to watch them play together. The cats that they play with are black and white so I guess they think they're family? :D
At one point a few years ago a friend brought home a mountain lemur (no idea where she got it or how) and we ended up keeping it for like three months until somebody found at we had it and we discovered that it's apparently illegal to have your own monkey without some exotic animal license that you can't get here anyway. Ah, memories.

I want more animals.

My friends once had a dog, a cat, and a bunny. And despite trying to clean up, spending an entire day there actually caused me to suffer pretty severe allergic reactions.

I'm allergic to animal dander too :( but as long as we vacuum at least every other day it's no big deal. I love them too much :bigsmile:

Peegee
08-30-2012, 04:29 PM
The thing is I'm not supposed to be allergic to these sorts of things. Very odd (unless it's normal to develop adult onset allergies?)

Bunny
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
The most animals I've had at one time was 5, at two separate points in my life. First, 3 cats and 2 dogs, followed by 2 cats, 1 dog, and 2 rats.

Right now I have one cat and she is crazy enough that I don't want another pet right now. Also I think she would not get along with another animal.

Sephex
08-30-2012, 05:31 PM
My parents had six at one time, but are now down to five. I guess be had a dozen temporarily because one of them had kittens, but they were given away. I personally only ever had two that I inherited from my grandma, but now I am down to one, myself.

Shorty
08-30-2012, 05:44 PM
kc definitely wins the animal thread and millie and I welcome her into our animal union.

The most animals I've owned at a single point were two dogs, one cat (my friend later adopted one of the dogs and I got another cat), two lovebirds, twenty-something different fish in a 50 gallon tank, five african diving frogs and three bettas. I was reeeeally close to getting a small pair of rabbits that needed a home but talked myself out of it.

Since then, I've downgraded to my dog, two cats and one betta. Except that uh, most of the fish died on my move to California, so that was an accidental downgrade :(

Sometimes I tell myself that I couldn't handle that many animals again, but I know it's a lie. I'd like to have two dogs when I finally settle down and own my own home and have a pair of smaller animals like buns or ferrets. Also a hedgehog. Gotta have a hedgehog.

I agree with Jon Stewart when he said, "I don't trust people who don't like animals." Amen, brother.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-30-2012, 05:48 PM
The most at one time was when I was still living with my parents.......2-3 Guineas, 13 peacocks, 3 cows, 15-20 chickens, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 3 cockatiels, 1 parrot, 1 iguana, and one pot bellied pig.

At one point there was a pet squirrel, and a pet flying squirrel. I count them as pets, as they were around for over a year, and became tame.

I have no pets currently.

Pike
08-31-2012, 01:33 AM
I agree with Jon Stewart when he said, "I don't trust people who don't like animals." Amen, brother.

My ex hates animals and flat-out refused to have any pets and that was my first major red flag in that relationship.

As for owning animals myself; I've always owned a few at one time but never more than that. I got to know several different types of animals very, very well when I worked at the pet store, though. Reptiles were my favorite animals to hang out with by far. Jacksons' chameleons especially, but snakes and beardies were also fantastic and friendly. <3 Leopard geckos not so much; those guys are dicks.

fire_of_avalon
08-31-2012, 01:59 AM
As much as I love animals I know my limits. We had three dogs once. And they were great.

Quindiana Jones
08-31-2012, 02:08 AM
One dog, one cat, and one x, I think. The x stands for either hamster or rat. George the dog, Mini Minou the cat, Joseph the rat and Sweetie the hamster. Joseph was a dick. :mad2: