PDA

View Full Version : The best thing about playing all the old Final Fantasys...

Quindiana Jones
08-31-2012, 12:54 AM
...is that FFIX keeps getting better and better. Also because they are, at worst, enjoyable and, at best, bloody incredible. But mostly it's the FFIX thing.

How many FFs have you played? Do you find that your appreciation for the series grows as you play more of them?

Del Murder
08-31-2012, 03:50 AM
I've played all of them except FFXIV, which I will get to once it is established to be good. Since I played them more or less in order of release, I don't think they got better as I played more. Quite the opposite actually. :p

Laddy
08-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Depends, I skipped around a bit. IX was my first, VII was like, my fourth, and VI was one of the last.

Those are my three favorites so I dunno.

Citizen Bleys
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Still haven't played IX or X; they can't hold my interest. I have holocausting to do in XI!

Gamblet
08-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I have played I-IX, I mostly played the classics because FF IX made many references to them and I got curious and now I like them all.

Wolf Kanno
08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah, playing through IX again after finally finishing FFIII was a treat. I've played all of them except XIV and some of the sequels and spin-offs. I tend to appreciate the older games more for being a bit more challenging and largely for being more charming.

Christmas
08-31-2012, 05:22 PM
All until X-2. That was the last FF game I played. :(

But I read out about the story on FF XIII stuffs though. Nice story! :bigsmile:

Raistlin
08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
I've at least played part of all main FFs except FFII and the MMOs (not including X-2 and spin-offs), though I haven't beaten all of them. I really liked the series at first, starting with VII and Tactics. After that, I've generally been disappointed in newer FFs (IX was decent and XII was pretty good, if flawed), while I've enjoyed many of the older ones, even without any nostalgia factor. So my reaction to playing more has been a bit of a mixed bag.

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
VII was my first. I liked the boss theme so much that with the magic of emulation I went and played all the others so I could see if their boss themes were any good.

True story. Even now, fourteen years after first playing it, FF7's boss theme is my all-time favourite piece of music.

Ending up preferring all the old ones was unintentional, but it meant I was one of the few people in Europe to feel as though I got what FFIX was doing when it came out; keep in mind it was 2001, there were none of those PSX ports yet and not a single one before VII had made it to Europe in any other form so a good deal of FFIX's vintage references were gonna fall flat.

Then everyone else liked IX anyway and I was like "never mind then" :D I've tried to convince people to play the older games and one of my friends at least admits he loves IV, V and VI, but won't play the NES ones in any form for some reason.