PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

I Don't Need A Name
09-01-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised there's no thread for this yet!

So this game has been announced as a prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5.

Big Boss is back. The enemy is a man with a burned face (no Burnt Face Man jokes, please) in a team that seems to be called XOF (FOX backwards)

Gameplay Footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8&feature=player_embedded)

Thoughts/Opinions? Is this game one step too far? Or is this the Metal Gear fix that you've been waiting for?

(Note, that the credits show that it will be compatible with Playstation 3 and X-Box 360. Kojima confirmed that it's for current gen platforms, but can scale to next-gen)

Slothy
09-02-2012, 03:43 AM
I had heard about this a bit but hadn't seen any footage. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "holy fuck! Not another MGS game after Kojima said he was done with 4."

After seeing that footage, particularly towards the end, my new reaction is more along the lines of "holy fuck! Another MGS game."

Yes, I do hate myself right now.

Pete for President
09-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I had heard about this a bit but hadn't seen any footage. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "holy smurf! Not another MGS game after Kojima said he was done with 4."

After seeing that footage, particularly towards the end, my new reaction is more along the lines of "holy smurf! Another MGS game."

Same! I think it's good that they're going back to Big Boss. Also, initial thoughts: Ground Zeroes -> Major Zero? Maybe he's the burnt man. I wouldn't be surprised considering both him and Big Boss showed up in MGS4's ending. Speculation speculation!

Psychotic
09-02-2012, 11:31 AM
To me it looks like a sequel to MGS3 and I am fucking over the moon.

I Don't Need A Name
09-02-2012, 11:44 AM
It could be set anytime after MGS3. Could even be a sequel to Metal Gear 2.. But it does tell us 1 thing: Metal Gear 5 will have a lot to do with Big Boss and/or XOF

Slothy
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping that they can implement a lot more ambitious stuff in this than they managed in MGS4. MGS4 was good, but there were things Kojima talked about doing that had never made it into the game in any real significant form. But if the gameplay sees the same kind of bump those graphics did then I will actually have reason to get excited for this. That trailer was such a significant visual jump from MGS4 (which I've been playing again the last few days) that it blew my mind. That doesn't happen to me very often these days.

Jiro
09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Apart from the whole XOF is FOX backwards thing - how utterly cheesy even for Kojima - I am actually pretty pumped for this shit.

Old Manus
09-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, I suppose the plot couldn't have been murdered any more than it had by the end of MGS4.

At least in the minute of actual gameplay footage, it appeared to involve a bit of sneaking. Gives me a bit of hope that it won't be another generic third person runnan and shootan and nanomachinan em up.

Jowy
09-02-2012, 06:07 PM
awwww shit

let's see how they wrap ocelot into this somehow! he's always a good time.

KentaRawr!
09-02-2012, 06:34 PM
The part with Snake climbing the mountain made me think of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Also, the boy in the cage, it wasn't Chico, was it? If so, that makes me really, really sad. The trailer said his sister "Didn't suffer long".

Amanda dies! Nuuuuu!

Del Murder
09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Looks cool. I hope you get to eat stuff again.

krissy
09-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I had heard about this a bit but hadn't seen any footage. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "holy smurf! Not another MGS game after Kojima said he was done with 4."

After seeing that footage, particularly towards the end, my new reaction is more along the lines of "holy smurf! Another MGS game."

Same! I think it's good that they're going back to Big Boss. Also, initial thoughts: Ground Zeroes -> Major Zero? Maybe he's the burnt man. I wouldn't be surprised considering both him and Big Boss showed up in MGS4's ending. Speculation speculation!

that is absolutely what i was thinking

Sephex
09-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Consider me stoked. I am a shameless fan boy of the series, though. I am also getting more of a "classic" vibe to it, so I can't wait to see if that pans out!

Raistlin
09-03-2012, 02:14 AM
I pretty much had the same reaction as Vivi. It seems like the series is being over-stretched, but the games tend to be very enjoyable, and I will almost certainly end up buying this.

Bolivar
09-03-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm so excited for this! Can you guys believe the creativity of the art direction going on in that video? That was all done in one shot! :drool:

Del Murder
09-03-2012, 03:46 AM
That is impressive, but I don't play games to watch creative videos. I hope the same creativity is used in the actual playing part.

Bolivar
09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
That is impressive, but I don't play games to watch creative videos. I hope the same creativity is used in the actual playing part.

You'll probably be in luck, then, because I can't think of any games that have level scenarios as unique as Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid titles.

Or as memorable boss fights.

Or as varied and robust play style options.

Or as many easter eggs, nooks, and crannies to explore on replays.

Have you played Metal Gear Solid before? :p

Goldenboko
09-04-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm super pumped for this, Hideo sets the bar so high with each new title and meets it every time.

Del Murder
09-04-2012, 01:42 AM
You'll probably be in luck, then, because I can't think of any games that have level scenarios as unique as Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid titles.

Or as memorable boss fights.

Or as varied and robust play style options.

Or as many easter eggs, nooks, and crannies to explore on replays.

Have you played Metal Gear Solid before? :p
Yes yes. I love these games. But I found MGS4 to be too much of a shooter and not as innovative as MGS3. Still one of the best games for PS3 though.

Also my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because it really baffles me when people get worked up over seeing FMV cutscenes when a game is announced. Especially since game designers seemed to have picked up on this and a lot of the innovation these days comes from one upmanship in trying to add more ripples to a guy's cape or more realistic shadows on facial hair.

Slothy
09-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Also my comment was mostly tongue in cheek because it really baffles me when people get worked up over seeing FMV cutscenes when a game is announced.

This is a bit different than just an FMV cutscene though. Something like the first trailer for Dead Island is a terrible way to announce a game because it not only shows nothing about the actual game (not even what it will look like since they literally decided to make a cool trailer and not even do it in engine), but it's actually quite disingenuous in terms of setting up expectations which are completely divorced from the actual product.

This isn't quite like that because not only was it running in the actual game engine in real time giving us a good indication of some things to expect (I'd say missions with more dynamic contrast between light and shadow and changing weather or at least varied weather conditions might be a possibility based on the excessive rain and darkness), but it also sets up the right expectations for a new MGS game. Roughly a 8 or 9:1 cutscene to gameplay ratio from the looks of it. :D

I Don't Need A Name
09-04-2012, 02:32 AM
All those people who complain because MGS4 is all cutscene and no game...they just don't understand! When it's as impressive as it is, then I'm fine with it!

edczxcvbnm
09-04-2012, 04:34 AM
I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to shit and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with. Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!

I am sure the game play, story and everything will be good but at this point I don't care and it seems like the only reason they are doing this is because they can't come up with an original concept or characters and are just falling back on this. Kojima has been saying he would like to leave MGS since the second one and at this point, I just don't think he has many ideas or is unwilling to take any chances.

Pete for President
09-04-2012, 08:02 AM
it seems like the only reason they are doing this is because they can't come up with an original concept or characters and are just falling back on this. Kojima has been saying he would like to leave MGS since the second one and at this point, I just don't think he has many ideas or is unwilling to take any chances.

That's exactly what I thought after MGS2. However, both MGS3 and 4 proved me wrong. Both were full of new ideas, all of which were awesomely executed. And yes, storywise I wish some more ballsy decisions were taken but then again a lot of Big Boss's story is still untouched. So I'm still hyped for this game!

Slothy
09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to shit and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with.

Kind of off topic, but I'll have to disagree with you there. Since Platinum games took over, Rising actually looks like something worth playing now instead of a slow action game with a cumbersome cutting mechanic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series

I don't want to alarm you, but you might have no soul.

and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep during the trailer or something because I don't remember any holograms in there. I can't watch it right now to confirm though. Seriously, I don't remember seeing anything like that at all.

edczxcvbnm
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I was looking forward to Metal Gear Rising before that turned to shit and ditched whatever story they likely would have gone with.

Kind of off topic, but I'll have to disagree with you there. Since Platinum games took over, Rising actually looks like something worth playing now instead of a slow action game with a cumbersome cutting mechanic.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a good game but it is my least favorite of the series

I don't want to alarm you, but you might have no soul.

and returning to play as Big Boss in the 80s(presumably) with holographic technology makes it seem like they just are not trying any more. I understand these games deal with highly advanced equipment and everything but come on man!

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep during the trailer or something because I don't remember any holograms in there. I can't watch it right now to confirm though. Seriously, I don't remember seeing anything like that at all.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - English subtitles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8#t=9m06s) (Time Coded to go to the spot) Maybe that doesn't quite count as a hologram but I don't know what else to call that sort of technology. Either way, bullshit for the time era.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Platinum games take. I am not saying that the original wasn't without problems but it was looking like a different take on a genre I rarely like. Platinum is not doing that :/

Slothy
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - English subtitles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IVOs5Pxh8#t=9m06s) (Time Coded to go to the spot) Maybe that doesn't quite count as a hologram but I don't know what else to call that sort of technology. Either way, bulltit for the time era.

Forgive me, I completely forgot about that part. It seems to be a variation of this perhaps. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_displays) Still, it seems a bit silly to get up in arms about a fairly simple projected display in a series which had things like the Shagohad in the 60's, bi-pedal nuclear equipped tanks in the 90's, nano-machines which control thoughts, bodily functions and can make someone unkillable before 2020, or successful human cloning in the 70's. 20 years before we had Dolly the Sheep.

I mean, I could understand if the advanced technologies which are present before they actually exist in the real world bother someone, but a 3D display in the 70's or 80's being the point they go too far seems a bit strange to me given some vastly more ridiculous uses of advanced technology. I mean honestly, that's the point where they've gone too far and lose credibility? At the very least this is an idea which has been around for a century and has had some degree of successful implementation.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Platinum games take. I am not saying that the original wasn't without problems but it was looking like a different take on a genre I rarely like. Platinum is not doing that :/

I don't know. Before Platinum took over Rising just looked like MGS4 with Raiden and a sword. It was like they took the gameplay from the final hour or so of MGS2, which was ok I suppose, and added the cumbersome ability to cut anything in any direction. Interesting to some degree I suppose, but it really wasn't anything that new or amazing. I'd gladly take a new Platinum Games action title over it given their pedigree, but I actually do like action games and have greatly enjoyed their previous efforts to some extent or another. Vanquish is actually one of my favourite games of this console generation.

I Don't Need A Name
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Concerning Rising, the original made me want to stab my eyes. Platinum took over and it looked cool. And then they changed the name to the current stupidity and I lost all faith again..

Old Manus
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I mean honestly, that's the point where they've gone too far and lose credibility?It lost all credibility when grafting someone's dead arm onto your own, aside from it actually working, magically makes you channel the spirit of its owner and alters your voice.

The portable hologram PDAs just make it even worse if anything.

NeoCracker
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I haven't been following Metal Gear news, was this the one that was, at one point, called Revengance?

Or is that a seperate game?

Slothy
09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
It lost all credibility when grafting someone's dead arm onto your own, aside from it actually working, magically makes you channel the spirit of its owner and alters your voice.

If that were what had actually happened it would have at least made sense based on the events of MGS3.

KentaRawr!
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I haven't been following Metal Gear news, was this the one that was, at one point, called Revengance?

Or is that a seperate game?

Revengeance is still around. This is a different game.