PDA

View Full Version : Esthar Government

Timsierramist
09-03-2012, 03:01 AM
I've been scratching my head at this question for a few days on a project i'm working on and can't seem to get my head around it.

What type of government is the country of Esthar?

A Republic, a Constitutional Monarchy (with the president as the Monarch), a Democracy? nah...really?

Any clues based on in game evidence and then some? It almost seems that Laguna had ultimate power as President, even though his aides, citizens and Dr. Odine talked him down sometimes.

Thanks for the help. I may be back continuously with additional Esthar questions and analysis.

Jiro
09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Adel previously ruled Esthar with an iron fist. Laguna is an elected official, but because he basically saved them from a life of shit, they just keep electing him.

Timsierramist
09-03-2012, 09:38 AM
You think they keep electing him? Or perhaps he was elected once after the Esthar Coup?

So far, i'm leaning on a Republican Dictatorship. I've noticed there is no mention of any sort of elected body such as a Senate or Parliament. Just him and his aides, ruling the country.

Jiro
09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
That's a good point, there is no mention of anyone else. Laguna does complain about presidential duties though, doesn't he?

I definitely think he keeps getting elected. There's no way they would allow anyone to reign over them indefinitely after Adel.

Christmas
09-03-2012, 05:52 PM
No one cares who is the president or how the government works as long as there is peace and no Adel I guess. :bigsmile:

Skyblade
09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
That's a good point, there is no mention of anyone else. Laguna does complain about presidential duties though, doesn't he?

I definitely think he keeps getting elected. There's no way they would allow anyone to reign over them indefinitely after Adel.

Eh, I dunno, I mean, it's Laguna. If I were to elect a dictator-for-life, he'd be one of my top picks. You could do anything with that moron in charge. :D

Jiro
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, or whatever the phrase. Deling was a great President until he decided he was going to be the boss forever.

Christmas
09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, or whatever the phrase. Deling was a great President until he decided he was going to be the boss forever wants some cleavage from Edea.

Timsierramist
09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
"Absolute Power Corrupts"

I think that is true. Can anyone picture Laguna maybe 20 years down the road then? He's a pretty unselfish guy. Going through heck and back to rescue Ellone, but it seems he didn't protest much when he was given the presidency. He said he wasn't paying attention and was given the title.

I think he was unselfish in the fact that he wanted to go back with Ellone to Winhill, but said he couldn't because he was so busy running Esthar. And if your government is you and a few aides, I can see that happening easily. I'd guess Esthar probably has the highest population in FFVIII, maybe a couple of million easily. I like to round it off at 2.5 million.

Still, to some degree, he must have some kind of corruption or weakness somewhere, even if he is the perfect kind hearted dictator. Like Kim Jong Un, or whatever the new guys name is. Everyone "loves" that guy, right? heh-heh...at least that the way they want it to appear on western TV...

From messages here and across a few other forums, I get the impression thus far that Esthar is a Republican Dictatorship. The public elects the president and he serves for life. I kinda wanted some evidence of a constitutional Monarchy thrown in there too. He is elected to serve until death, but he is limited to some degree by a constitution. For example, no executing the poor guy in a robe in front of the Presidential Palace because he is wearing hot pink. I HATE hot Pink, notes Laguna to the guard in front of the palace and he walks along his guards into the city and the guard locks and loads his shotgun pick thingy (in my Esthar, i'm giving the guards Caster M16's or something, lol).

I'd think that after the Adel disaster of a dictatorship, that the "founding fathers" of the new Esthar, the revolution leaders, would probably make a few new rules. Like maybe capping Odine a little bit on what he can and can't do with his subjects, like slavery (if I remember correctly from the Lunatic Pandora Lab).

Also, Selphie mentions in her diary that Adel rose to power in a similar fashion to how Edea did. Got close to the previous leader and off with his/her head when the time was right. So I guess there could have already been an established Constitutional Monarchy/Republican Dictatorship that was temporarily put on hold while Adel took over.

The only question is, what happened right after Adel. Much of this, pure speculation, but fun and helpful regardless. I'm only looking for the most likely answer, not the absolute fact, lol.

Roogle
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
You may want to consider that different types of democracies have different terms and term limits for their elected executive.

I know that there are a few countries that have longer term cycles of eight years and up. I think that the fact that they use the term president rather than something else establishes the fact that he is, at the very least, an elected official rather than a dictator like Adel. They take time to explain that Esthar was different back then.

Timsierramist
09-05-2012, 07:28 AM
You may want to consider that different types of democracies have different terms and term limits for their elected executive.

I know that there are a few countries that have longer term cycles of eight years and up. I think that the fact that they use the term president rather than something else establishes the fact that he is, at the very least, an elected official rather than a dictator like Adel. They take time to explain that Esthar was different back then.

Yes. Laguna has ruled for at least 17 years in FFVIII, right? Any democracies we know that run term limits that long or longer? If so, is it still considered a democracy?

Roogle
09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
This page has some information about political term limits in our world: List of political term limits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_term_limits)

The standard seems to be two four year terms or two five year terms for a President. That being said, however, there is no term limit for the Prime Minister of Japan, interestingly.

It may be that Laguna is a popular political figure in Esthar and has simply been taking care of the country since its revolution. I still think they should have thrown in some one-liner about him having to work overtime for elections coming up or something...

Cloudane
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Laguna always seemed a bit of a goof to me so I'm not sure how he can actually be in charge of anything on any serious level... but then the same could be said for Boris Johnson...

Yeah I don't think they'd throw themselves straight back into a dictatorship. But you can never be so sure.

nik0tine
09-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I think that the fact that they use the term president rather than something else establishes the fact that he is, at the very least, an elected official rather than a dictator like Adel.You mean like President Deling?

I'm pretty sure Laguna is the sole ruler of Esthar and is a benevolent despot. There is absolutely nothing anywhere in the game that suggests that he is an elected official but there is plenty to suggest that his position is permanent.

Jiro
09-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Man: Yes... That's right! It all sounds crazy, but...I like you! I really want you to be our leader...

This is the only real reference I can find to the discussion of Laguna being "elected" but I think he is.

Roogle
09-06-2012, 03:19 AM
You mean like President Deling?

President Deling describes himself as the lifetime president of Galbadia. I hadn't considered that he was a dictator as I thought he earned his position somehow in the eyes of the people.

I can't imagine that Laguna would tie himself to the office of presidency for the rest of his life.

blackmage_nuke
09-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Yes. Laguna has ruled for at least 17 years in FFVIII, right? Any democracies we know that run term limits that long or longer? If so, is it still considered a democracy?
I think its silly that countries have to kick out thier leaders after a certain timelimit even if they are doing great and the people might be willing to re-elected them term after term. You dont fire your senior employees because they have too much experience

Timsierramist
09-07-2012, 08:17 AM

I think its silly that countries have to kick out thier leaders after a certain timelimit even if they are doing great and the people might be willing to re-elected them term after term. You dont fire your senior employees because they have too much experience

I agree. Also It also seems the revolutionary members elected him after Adel, versus the people, at least that's what the game slightly implies.