PDA

View Full Version : Cait Sith/Reeves

Chris
09-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Did the rest of the group actually care about Cait Sith/Reeve, or did they simply tolerate his presence. They don't seem to ever show any kind of concern about him, nor do they seem to particularly care when Cait Sith sacrifices himself (he's a toy Mog, I know, but you know what I mean). Cait Sith/Reeve is obviously somewhat to blame, but at the same time, in my opinion, he never really seems to truly become a part of the group.

You thoughts?

ReloadPsi
09-03-2012, 11:11 AM
They know he's basically a necessary part of the team. Beyond that yeah, I notice they don't seem to care much for him. Cloud doesn't even want him along but he forces his way into the party by walking into Cloud's pants. I think I saw the fourth wall cracking then that happened...

Jiro
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
The fact that Cait Sith is not real makes him a disposable party member. The fact that the party don't know who he really is until much later is also a big point. Do they ever figure out that it is actually Reeve during FF7? Knowing that one team member is a Shinra spy, or former spy, or whatever, is certainly not going to endear Cait Sith any further.

ReloadPsi
09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes they do. Reeve and Cait Sith start talking funny and Barret exclaims that Reeve is busted.

Raistlin
09-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, Cait Sith starts off by stealing the Keystone from the party, so he's not winning any points there. Then he's only allowed along for the ride because he makes Cloud bring him, despite him being a Shinra spy. So no, there's no good reason to care too much about him at that point. He later proves himself useful, though.

And yes, as Psi said, the party later does find out he is Reeve. I believe it's when he allows them to listen in on a Shinra meeting.

Christmas
09-03-2012, 05:57 PM
More for the plot than gameplay I think!

Sephex
09-03-2012, 07:03 PM
In Advent Children, Reeve is one of the many who left Cloud a voicemail encouraging him to communicate more as his cell floats down the bottom of a lake, so I imagine they built some sort of friendship eventually.

Jinx
09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I always found it weird that once they knew it was Reeve, he still kept using the toy moogle.

Like, a neckbeard if ever

Roogle
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
The plot point of Cait Sith and Reeve confuses me greatly. Mainly, how does Reeve seem to always be in control of Cait Sith and know what it is doing at all times? Is it a robot or something else? The Final Fantasy Wiki has a good article for Reeve Tuesti (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Reeve_Tuesti):

According to the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega[1], in an early draft of the script, Reeve was an "Inspire", a person who can breathe life into inanimate objects, such as the Cait Sith dolls. His "child", the cat-shaped doll Cait Sith, can be controlled from a great distance. The accent that Cait Sith has is said to have been inspired from his parents.

This makes more sense as to the nature of the relationship between Cait Sith and Reeve, but...

Jiro
09-07-2012, 04:09 AM
That's a really awesome idea and I wish it became more of a plot point.

Raistlin
09-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Really? I think that's an incredibly forced, made-up-after-the-fact excuse. Reeve just shuts himself in his office and plays with his toy.

And really, that's what all people with offices do at some point.

Cloudane
09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
In my interpretation they pretty much hate him until the temple. After all, he was a spy, stole the keystone and kidnapped Marlene so he wasn't exactly a friend.

I think the feeling was that he sort of redeemed himself through sacrifice, if we were to consider it a living being, but it was just as confusing for everyone else what with it being a toy and being Reeve and they never completely trusted him until he went pretty much all-out against his company very late on.

Side note, I find it interesting how everyone softened up so much. During the early game they're child kidnappers and woman-beaters (Tseng hitting Aeris). By the time AC comes around they're antiheroes at worst.

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I always found it weird that once they knew it was Reeve, he still kept using the toy moogle.

Like, a neckbeard if ever

He says that he tried to come along for the final dungeon but he makes some vague statement about being apprehended by some guys from the company so he'll have to make do with the toy moogle.

Jiro
09-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Really? I think that's an incredibly forced, made-up-after-the-fact excuse. Reeve just shuts himself in his office and plays with his toy.

And really, that's what all people with offices do at some point.
As it stands, it isn't good, but that's the kind of thing that could have been heavily elaborated upon. It would have to be heavily too for it to have an appropriate level of significance.

Jowy
09-08-2012, 06:36 AM
you should flush those personal problems in the morning

i have cid and yuffie, you other plebs can hang out on the airship

Formalhaut
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
A Cait Sith actually makes a cameo in the Honeybee Inn, if you peer into "The Lovers" room, a miniaturised version is seen to the right, bobbing around.

For me, Cait Sith has always been somewhat of an enigma throughout most of the game, granted, he "forces" his way into the group, but you must think Cloud's fuse must be going thin after the all the betrayals. Just slice through right that toy Mog. Though perhaps he symbolizes the ability for forgiveness? Reeves isn't all bad.