PDA

View Full Version : Lucky 7s, the wrong way around.

VeloZer0
09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
I was reading a battle mechanics guide and in the section on Lucky 7s it said that the condition could be triggered by an in battle character, party member or enemy. In my long long history of playing FF7 I have never once seen an enemy trigger Lucky 7s, but then again I have never seen one of my party members trigger it without deliberate tinkering on my part.

Has anyone here ever seen an enemy use Lucky 7s? I imagine that would be something that would completely ruin your day.

ReloadPsi
09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
It means that a party member hitting 7777 status pays no regard to how they were put to that level of HP, not that monsters can achieve it.

Raistlin
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree with Psi; that seems to mean that Lucky 7s status could be triggered by damage from an enemy. And I have had one character achieve 7777 without my deliberate interference exactly once in my several playthroughs, which is still pretty lucky considering how unlikely it is. That was a unexpectedly exciting random encounter.

Karifean
09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I've seen it in some videos on youtube where the player is doing some ridiculous challenge, like No Materia No Limit Breaks Initial Equipment and so forth ... what they do is actually poison the enemy, because then when their HP hits 7777, the poison does 7777 damage (because when your HP are 7777, all attacks you do deal 7777 and poison is considered an attack by the character it's inflicted on). I distinctly remember it being done against Palmer and I think another instance was against Materia Keeper though I'm not sure on the second one.
I'm sure though that the Lucky 7's Fury cannot be activated by an enemy (meaning they don't get the 63 free hits). But it is a game mechanic of FF7 that when your HP are 7777, your attacks always deal that amount of damage.

Edit: putting "palmer poison 7777" into youtube search yielded these results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqn6Yienuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFMB1eWxrYA
First one is from a hard mod where the player uses Bio and several Chocobuckles that deal the exact amount of damage they should to get Palmer's HP to 7777.
Second one is from a speedrun where the player poisons Materia Keeper and manages to get his HP to hit 7777 through some insane luck (see video description).

Hollycat
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I've never seen Lucky 7's.... :(

Raistlin
09-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Huh, I've never heard of that before. But I looked it up on youtube and found a bunch of examples, including this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpgn-b-P9Q). Interesting.

ReloadPsi
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
So Lucky 7 DOES apply to enemies in its own twisted way. My apologies!

VeloZer0
09-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Good to know. Though you could still possibly get insta-gibed if you set an enemy's HP to 7777 right before they launch an AoE attack.

Jiro
09-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Shit, you learn something new every day!

Skyblade
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
tit, you learn something new every day!

In a game this old, and this beloved and studied, that's kind of awesome.

Loony BoB
09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I never knew enemies could get it. O_o Crazy. But yeah, I don't know if I just played this game too much or something, but I definitely got 7777 at least five times when playing through. That's without any intent to get it - just lucky, I guess. I got it a couple of times in Battle Square and all I have to say about that is that it's amazingly helpful. :D

Mercen-X
09-05-2012, 10:00 PM
I have had one character achieve 7777 without my deliberate interference exactly once.I've seen it two or three times since I first started playing it back in '97.

Huh, I've never heard of that before. But I looked it up on youtube and found a bunch of examples, including this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpgn-b-P9Q). Interesting.

That's freaking ridiculous...ly cool.

Skyblade
09-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I never knew enemies could get it. O_o Crazy. But yeah, I don't know if I just played this game too much or something, but I definitely got 7777 at least five times when playing through. That's without any intent to get it - just lucky, I guess. I got it a couple of times in Battle Square and all I have to say about that is that it's amazingly helpful. :D

Doesn't it reset your HP to 1 midway through the Battles? Or does it last until the end?

And Lucky 7s takes precedence over Mini, right?