PDA

View Full Version : Is There an Objectively "Best" FF?

Pike
09-04-2012, 01:48 AM
I saw this image today and wondered what you all think of it. Is there a such thing as a "best" Final Fantasy?

Raistlin
09-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Yes, my favorites are objectively the best, and anyone who disagrees is a terrible person with terrible judgment who does terrible things like kick puppies, hate bacon, and actually enjoy FFXIII's story. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I'm not actually sure what that image was in response to. The purpose of games is enjoyment, and obviously everyone has their own values and standards as to what is an enjoyable game. Until and unless everyone is assimilated into the Borg, there is not going to be an objective standard of fun. I'm not sure what FFs being mostly standalone games has to do with it.

Slothy
09-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Yes, my favorites are objectively the best, and anyone who disagrees is a terrible person with terrible judgment who does terrible things like kick puppies, hate bacon, and actually enjoy FFXIII's story. :colbert:

We've got our next census host folks!

Raistlin
09-04-2012, 02:43 AM
It is a true honor to be considered alongside such a fierce purveyor of Final Fantasy-related vitriol as yourself.

Agent Proto
09-04-2012, 02:50 AM
I think it's very true, since each game in the series don't rely on following the previous game, and could very well be its own game.

Alpha2099
09-04-2012, 02:54 AM
I agree, you can't call any one game the "best". Because they are separate entities, each one brings something to the table that the others didn't do in quite the same way. The biggest example is FFII throwing out the traditional leveling system in favor of gradual skill development. You can only look at favorites, and likely you'll regard your favorite as the best.

VeloZer0
09-04-2012, 05:41 AM
You can designate any element from any data set as the 'best' provided you have a solid criteria of what best entails. So if you were able to get solid criteria to evaluate them on then you could find the best.

Technically speaking by just about every out of game metric you could evaluate by FF7 would be considered best.

Jiro
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I take great offence to the random manner in which that image was compiled.

Pike
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Re: the gripes about the image - I got it off of 4chan, what do you expect? :p

Jiro
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Final Fantasy I, II and IV are included twice. I think the creator is a meta troll.

But yeah I don't know. I like all the games. Picking a favourite is hard enough, picking the objective best is too much effort.

I Don't Need A Name
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Not forgetting that they included Versus in that image..

ReloadPsi
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
What the fuck is Derp of Cerberus doing there?

Pike
09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
I think whoever made the image just tossed up a bunch of random logos.

Loony BoB
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Say what you like about Square-Enix going downhill and not going back to their roots or whatever. They never went back to their roots because they always try new things, they innovate, they lead the way. I adore Final Fantasy as a series because of this. They're not afraid to do something different while many other games might prefer to just stick to what people liked last time and hope that they'll continue to like it forever and ever and ever (hi, FPS games).

sabin101
09-04-2012, 06:24 PM
It is a toss up for square to return to their roots because it could make the games stale and outdated or it could go back to what the fans loved. I don't mind them trying different things to see what works if you don't do that then you won't make it. I just think they have lost that edge that made ff games great. I don't know with the way they are doing things that they can pull out this slump or downfall they are in. I really don't.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Yes, FFIX. Next question. :D

Slothy
09-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, FFIX. Next question. :D

FFVI, but you weren't far off. IX would be a close second.

And I appreciated the irony of that picture saying every FF stands alone while including logos for multiple spin-offs which often do anything but.

Mercen-X
09-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Of course, the obvious answer is Dissidia. *grabs shield for tomato bombs*

Roogle
09-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I believe that there are certain titles in the Final Fantasy series that may have had more dedicated resources to it, but that is the type of information that will never be released to the public. I mean, it's not a stretch of the imagination to say that console titles receive more attention than portable or mobile titles. Objectively, those console titles will likely be considered better in several ways than their portable or mobile counterparts.

Alpha2099
09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Technically speaking by just about every out of game metric you could evaluate by FF7 would be considered best.
I'd agree with that.

Trumpet Thief
09-05-2012, 01:09 AM
I think that VI-X all have a legitimate shot of being the 'best'. There are hordes of dedicated fans for each of those titles, and I'm pretty sure they I've referred to almost all of them as the 'best' at one point in time or another. At the moment, I am just confused. :jess:

Jowy
09-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Does anyone actually hate Final Fantasy Tactics? Exactly.

Pike
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Huxley does!

Jinx
09-08-2012, 12:21 PM
no, they're all shit

Jiro
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
...what

Mirage
09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
If you want to find an "objectively best" Final Fantasy, you need to come up with a clear criteria for what constitutes as "best".

Copies sold? Money earned for SE? Average rating by customers? Average rating by critics?

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Huxley does!

Wait what

Madame Adequate
09-08-2012, 08:12 PM
FFT is a terrible game that is not remotely enjoyable. It is the worst TBT game I have ever played and literally anything, even including dreck like Eternal Eyes, is preferable. Nevermind actually good examples of the genre like Front Mission, Vandal Hearts, or anything on the western side of things such as X-Com and Jagged Alliance.

FFT is even worse than FFIX and XII, in fact. At least I've been able to slog partway through those and they have SOME enjoyment to be derived.

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Milf... You need to turn in your CK badge and gun. That's just sacrilegious right there.

Forsaken Lover
09-10-2012, 12:57 AM
*strokes non-existent pointy evil beard*

Final Fantasy I.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. The story is barely a thing, the gameplay is antiquated and ridiculously difficult and literally every game after it has had better battle systems, and the music is rubbish with only a single battle theme for everything

Laddy
09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
FFT is a terrible game that is not remotely enjoyable. It is the worst TBT game I have ever played and literally anything, even including dreck like Eternal Eyes, is preferable. Nevermind actually good examples of the genre like Front Mission, Vandal Hearts, or anything on the western side of things such as X-Com and Jagged Alliance.

FFT is even worse than FFIX and XII, in fact. At least I've been able to slog partway through those and they have SOME enjoyment to be derived.
NO NO NO NO NO

YOU SIR, ARE FALSE. YOU SIR HAVE COMPLETELY REMOVED MY TRUST AND EVEN WHILE I TROLLED ABOUT VOYAGER THE IDEA THAT YOU WOULD INSIST FFT IS IN SOME SORT OF CATEGORY OF DERISION ALONG WITH IX AND XII IS RIDICULOUS AND WORTHY OF A LEGITIMATE MELTDOWN

ReloadPsi
09-10-2012, 04:35 AM
I like Tactics. I like Tactics a lot. However I loathe Tactics Advance. Being a PAL gamer I was constantly getting dicked around with games not being released here because they couldn't be arsed to give it French, German and Spanish translations or some equally lazy horsetrout. I dunno, maybe it had to do with not being arsed to put the FMVs into Twixtor and altering the framerate for a 50Hz TV, whatever.

My experience of the original Tactics was a mere two or three hours on someone else's modded PSX while I and my sister visited a friend at the other end of the country. Where I lived (i.e. out in the Yorkshire boonies) there was no way to get my PSX modded so no Tactics for me. Tactics Advance gave me false hope - when I first heard of it I expected a remake of the original and I thought "Yes! I can finally obtain a real copy and play it!" - and I will despise it forever for that.

Thank smurf for emulation I say. Yes I stole the game but Square were being cocks about letting me even play it so I did what I had to. "OH NOES OUR ART WON'T MAKE ENOUGH MONEY OF YOU SO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENJOY IT IN ANY FASHION WHATSOEVER" smurf off. I am sick of intellectual property holders having this ridiculous attitude that is detrimental to arts and it's the reason some people resort to piracy. Way to admit your work might be nothing but commercial diarrhoea. (I incidentally outright promise to delete all my Daria episodes the second a region 2 DVD hits the market. Region locking, what a joke. How the smurf is that designed to PREVENT piracy? It smurfing encourages it!)

And then there was that PSP version and the things they buggered up in it... the one that apparently required you to illegitimately mod your PSP to make it run properly. I'll get it eventually I guess, so long as I find out the right ways to crack my PSP for it.

Rant over. tl;dr, I think FFT is excellent, but I'm sick of the way players in my region have been treated over it.

Slothy
09-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Milf... You need to turn in your CK badge and gun. That's just sacrilegious right there.

There must be some way we can punish him. Is there no rule about staff having to like FFT? Because there should be.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
There's been a regime change. I invaded and shocked and awed you so hard the veil of tyranny was lifted from your eyes and you've been liberated and allowed to freely see the garbage that is FFT. No more with your dictators demand you swear fealty to such an obviously bad game!

Jinx
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I've never even played FFT.

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2012, 05:44 PM
There's been a regime change. I invaded and shocked and awed you so hard the veil of tyranny was lifted from your eyes and you've been liberated and allowed to freely see the garbage that is FFT. No more with your dictators demand you swear fealty to such an obviously bad game!

Says the man who likes FFX and thought FFXIII was actually good... :barf:

Back on topic though...

You would need to create an objective criteria for what constitutes an objectively good game. Yet, I don't see that happening without some form of bias getting in. It would be easy to add criteria that favors one game over others and even then, some criteria is simply subjective no matter how you phrase it (best gameplay/best story) so I don't really think it's possible based on human nature, since it's difficult to look objectively at something that is loved subjectively. It would be like saying their is an objectively Best Movie.

Just like the game you want, and then argue it out with the other fans in a forum. :p

Slothy
09-10-2012, 05:46 PM

I want to edit your posts so badly to make it look like you're gushing about how awesome FFT is but I fear the potential reprisal.

I've never even played FFT.

Play it after you finish FFXII (you are still playing FFXII right) or else.

Raistlin
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM

Have you taken your meds? There is no way that any of that was uttered by a sane person.

Hollycat
09-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Crisis Core is the best followed by Birth by sleep, then 7, then my bum. then 12.

Madame Adequate
09-11-2012, 01:41 AM

Have you taken your meds? There is no way that any of that was uttered by a sane person.

I'm as sane as a... pop culture figure renowned for sanity. :colbert:

Raistlin
09-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Lindsey Lohan? Insane Clown Posse? PG?

maybee
09-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Final Fantasy VI is the best. Just try and disagree to this.

Final Fantasy IX is second best.

/ end thread ;)

Hollycat
09-11-2012, 11:17 AM

/ end thread ;)

/ Crisis Core.

Jinx
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

/ end thread ;)

/ Crisis Core.

That's not even a Final Fantasy. That's a spin-off. It doesn't count. The same way that FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 don't count because they're sequels.

Hollycat
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM

/ end thread ;)

/ Crisis Core.

That's not even a Final Fantasy. That's a spin-off. It doesn't count. The same way that FFX-2 and FFXIII-2 don't count because they're sequels.

Does it have Final Fantasy in the name? Why yes, HC it does. Oh wow, I guess that means it's a Final Fantasy.

Jinx
09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

/ end thread ;)

/ Crisis Core.

Does it have Final Fantasy in the name? Why yes, HC it does. Oh wow, I guess that means it's a Final Fantasy.

NOOOOOOO. MAIN GAME PURIST!!! *throws eggs at HC and runs*

Hollycat
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM

/ end thread ;)

/ Crisis Core.

NOOOOOOO. MAIN GAME PURIST!!! *throws eggs at HC and runs*

*Catches egg. Sits on egg. Hatches T-Rex. Trains T-Rex. Rides on T-Rex and chases Tifa's Boobs.*

Alpha2099
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM
That's like saying Final Fantasy Legend is a Final Fantasy game, when everyone knows it's really a SaGa game.

Hollycat
09-12-2012, 04:45 AM
That's like saying Final Fantasy Legend is a Final Fantasy game, when everyone knows it's really a SaGa game.

Was Crisis Core made by Square Enix HC? Why yes Other HC, I do believe it was!

Tigmafuzz
09-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Objectively best would be either VI or IX.

Also, I really hope MILF is trolling. Or else I don't know if I can stay here anymore.

VeloZer0
09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Was Crisis Core made by Square Enix HC? Why yes Other HC, I do believe it was!
Too bad the only real Final Fantasy games are made by Squaresoft.

maybee
09-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Ooh Burn ! :jess:

FF XIII is awesome though so it should be included.

Hollycat
09-12-2012, 08:23 PM

99.99% of people here disagree. Also, 12 was great, x-2 had a terrific battle system.

Night Fury
09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Despite my favourite being VIII, I would have to say VII is probably the 'best' because I think it is the game which the majority of people associate the series with.

It had great music, great characters and a good battle system which was easily understood for new fans of the series, and not too far from the old games for FF veterans.

For me, I would say VII is probably the best one, VIII is just a personal favourite of mine.

maybee
09-13-2012, 06:51 AM

99.99% of people here disagree. Also, 12 was great, x-2 had a terrific battle system.

Final Fantasy XII is terrible and should go whereever Aerith and Leo went. :mad:

Christmas
09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
FF VI changed my life and led me to this forums. What is there to say? :bigsmile:

Hollycat
09-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Final Fantasy XII is terrible and should go whereever Aerith and Leo went. :mad:

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Pike
09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Also, I really hope MILF is trolling.

He's not.

Night Fury
09-13-2012, 11:26 AM

I didn't enjoy FFXII as for me, it felt like it was trying to go down the route of the style that Online RPG's have. I never completed it, to be honest I found the battle system a little overcomplicated for my brains to handle.

FFXIII was easier with a smoother battle system, but for me as pretty and lovely a game as it was, it just lacked something. To me it felt more like SE were all "LOOK AT HOW AMAZING OUR GRAPHICS ARE LOOK LOOK LOOOOOOOOK" and I felt the story wasn't quite as good as previous titles.

XIII, to me, just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy.

I mean they made Shiva into a motorcycle. WHY? WHY?

Hollycat
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM

I didn't enjoy FFXII as for me, it felt like it was trying to go down the route of the style that Online RPG's have. I never completed it, to be honest I found the battle system a little overcomplicated for my brains to handle.

FFXIII was easier with a smoother battle system, but for me as pretty and lovely a game as it was, it just lacked something. To me it felt more like SE were all "LOOK AT HOW AMAZING OUR GRAPHICS ARE LOOK LOOK LOOOOOOOOK" and I felt the story wasn't quite as good as previous titles.

XIII, to me, just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy.

I mean they made Shiva into a motorcycle. WHY? WHY?

Because Square Enix doesn't give a flying trout how we feel about what they do.

maybee
09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
^ This

If they listened or cared about the fans they wouldn't be making Cloud Strife wearing a dress Returns right now. :mad:

Mercen-X
09-14-2012, 06:12 AM
What are you talking about? Nearly the entire fanbase is screaming for VII remake! ;)

Tigmafuzz
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Final Fantasy XII is terrible

Says the person who enjoyed FFXIII. XII was different, but it was definitely not a bad game.

Nearly everything about XIII, however, is complete shite.

maybee
09-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Says the person who enjoyed FFXIII. XII was different, but it was definitely not a bad game.

Nearly everything about XIII, however, is complete troute.

You might want some cream for that butthurt. :kakapo:

Shauna
09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
ITT: STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE ;_________;

But, I don't objectively consider any one FF to be the "best". I don't believe it can be done! :p