PDA

View Full Version : Despite all the retranslations...

ReloadPsi
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
...I still refer to Saronia as Salonia, I still call Aerith Aeris and I still call the spells by numbers when playing FF1, regardless of which version, and I still universally refer to Libra as Scan.

To name those that spring to mind anyway.

What retranslations in the series have you pretty much disregarded?

VeloZer0
09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Fira, Fireaga and Fireaja and all derivatives all sound stupid in my book.

Mercen-X
09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Well, I think only idiots would say Fire1, Fire2, etc. I consider each magic spell to be within its own category and it is unnecessary to announce to the enemy what level of spell you're casting. I would just say Fire, Ice, Lightning, etc. no matter the spell level.

I do agree Libra is a stupid name for learning an enemy's statistics.

Madonna
09-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Unless they are dropping a patch for all the games they already published, when something is called Aeris, it is going to be called Aeris. It does not matter if there are new editions, better translations, or whatnot; your first introduction is going to be the one to leave the strongest impression. So while, yeah, Aerith/Libra/whatever is more correct according to some nerd with an Ultimania (or a nerd who wrote an Ultimania), a certain Square-Enix done fucked up the first time around when they should have gotten it right.

Wolf Kanno
09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Probably the name changes from FFVI

English <-----------> Japanese
Terra <-----------> Tina
Sabin <-----------> Mash
Cyan <-----------> Cayenne*
Locke <-----------> Lock*
Kefka <-----------> Cefka*

*Yeah I know they are still pronounced the same but I am not using the original spelling. :P

It didn't take much for me to call Aeris, Aerith cause I feel the original name sounds better and is more symbolic, but I've never been able to call the VI characters by their true Japanese names.

Edward from FFIV is another character like that since his original name was Gilbert and the games actual "Edward" is Edge.

I actually like the Japanese Spell names better though I will still call some of them Life 2 or Bolt 3 out of habit.

Cloudane
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.cloudane.com/stuff/aeris.jpg
(Borrowed from Final Fantasy 7.0 :: Home (http://sevening.smackjeeves.com))

ReloadPsi
09-05-2012, 10:28 PM
In my mind "Aerith" is from the compilation, something I callously disregard. Of course I also now only play my German copy anyway because I'm not very good at German any more so I can pretty much ignore most of the dialogue and not shake my fist at how much was changed/retconned/decanonised/ruined later on, and just enjoy the dang game.

Oh yeah, whenever I have issues with pronunciation I usually go on the FF Wiki and read the Japanese name. If it's the same anyway.

Jessweeee♪
09-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Aeris is Aeris to me. Nothing against the name Aerith, it was just corrected a bit too late to stick is all.

Raistlin
09-06-2012, 03:36 AM
While I type "Aerith," I still say "Aeris." And I'm definitely with WK about the FFVI names.

blackmage_nuke
09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I will never accept Thunder over Bolt. Thunder is a noise! I can understand how 'lightning' might be a bit too cumbersome but I dont see whats wrong with Bolt, Bolta and Boltaga

I feel the same about Blizzard over Ice but not as strongly

Jiro
09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Bolt sounds way cooler than Thunder.

VeloZer0
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Indeed it does. Ditto for Ice over Blizzard.

Slothy
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
It didn't take much for me to call Aeris, Aerith cause I feel the original name sounds better and is more symbolic, but I've never been able to call the VI characters by their true Japanese names.

Edward from FFIV is another character like that since his original name was Gilbert and the games actual "Edward" is Edge.

I actually like the Japanese Spell names better though I will still call some of them Life 2 or Bolt 3 out of habit.

All of this. I've occasionally typed Tina instead of Terra, but I rarely do that anymore. I do prefer the Japanese spell names as well though. I almost never refer to the old names unless I'm talking about a game that used them and even then I probably don't use them very often.

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Also with FF1 and 3 I still say fighter instead of warrior no matter what version I play.

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Oh I completely forgot about that, as they aren't exactly names, but I'm the same way. FFI classes have the NES names.