PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

Yar
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I've gone about 3 days since my last cigarette.

I'm starting to go insane. Every little thing is making me irritable. My appetite is out of control; I want to eat but nothing tastes good. I can't sleep and all I want to do is yell at people. I don't even care why, I just want to hurt some feelings.

I'm also starting to worry about things over which I have no control, and that's just upsetting my insomnia and irritability even worse.

halp me plz~ any tips on how I can beat this?

Jiro
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
My uni has little slideshows running around the place telling you the benefits of quitting, except it opens with some points that make it sound like a bad thing to quit :exdee:

Have you tried that special gum or the nicotine patches? Perhaps cold turkey isn't the way for you, and you need to slowly wean your body off of it?

Jowy
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Titan 510 | 510 Battery | Totally Wicked 510 Titan Accessories (http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/e-cig-accessories-510-titan-products.html)

buy it and love it. still enjoy a real one after a few drinks, but that is a god-given right to us as human beings. A pack of cigarettes goes a loooooong way now.

Jinx
09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Get a time machine.
Go back in time to that first cigarette.
Just Say No.

Freya
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Should have listened to me when i told you not to start!

Cuchulainn
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I stopped in May 2006. Smoke since i was 10. I just stopped. No dramas, patches, gum, etc.

It's all will power. It was touch & go for a wek but after that it was a piece of piss.

Raistlin
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Very helpful, Freya and Boobies. :p

From my understanding, a lot of the problems with quitting are psychological. It's the habit of lighting up whenever you want to relax. I've heard people recommend developing new such habits. Chewing gum, going for a jog or walk, playing a short game. Just something new to become accustomed to and take your mind off of it.

Shorty
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Does this mean we can't be San Francisco hipsters together? :(

I wish I could give you some advice, but I've never been addicted to cloves. I usually start/stop with the flip of a switch (booze), although I can't remember when my last one was.

Freya
09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Well I did tell him not to xD He was all "i'm gonna start smoking" and I was like "don't do it! You will have trouble quitting" "whatever"

Christmas
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Managing unpleasant feelings such as stress, depression, loneliness, fear, and anxiety are crucial if you decide to quit as many turn to smoking due to these.

Design your personal gain plan for quitting smoking. Think of the benefits and advantages that you will have if you succeed.

Ask yourself questions. To successfully detach from smoking, you will need to identify and address your smoking habits, the true nature of your dependency, and the techniques that work for you.

The Nicotine Replacement Therapy is useful in Quitting Tobacco. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) helps reduce nicotine withdrawal and craving by supplying your body with nicotine. It contains about one-third to one-half the amount of nicotine found in most cigarettes.

Hope that helps. Take Care! :bigsmile:

Iceglow
09-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I quit smoking cold turkey from 20 marlboro red a day. Like Cuch say's it's about willpower you have to want to give up and be serious about it. In my humble opinion as someone who managed without any quitting aids and has since watched his sister and brother both fail to quit smoking with the use of aids I don't believe aids help. They merely prolong your addiction and reliance on the chemicals in your system. The first 10 days are hell, after that your system is clean of the chemicals in cigarettes and you're fine.

My girlfriend smokes, it doesn't bother me she doesn't do it in my bedroom or my house she'll happily step out on my doorstep in one of my shirts or so to have one. Personally because I still enjoy the occasional smoke after a drink or two (you'll never stop that one from happening it's just how it goes tbh mate) but I don't get addicted so I will sometimes share a smoke with her or get a pack and have one or two.

Tigmafuzz
09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Like Cuch and Colonel Icebum said, it's all willpower. I smoked for a few years, and then quit cold turkey. So did Sarah, and two of my exes.

Citizen Bleys
09-07-2012, 01:46 AM
When I'm grouchy and can't smoke, it's time for Cats That Look Like Hitler.

Never fails.

Shlup
09-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Give it a few more days and your sense of taste and smell will come back with an intensity that you didn't think was possible.

Which is probably totally overselling it, but it's still pretty cool. Also, I'm sure your teeth are already starting to look like hell. A few more years and you'd have that nasty brown circle. Also also, now when people smell you they won't automatically think you're gross 'cause you smell like stale ass.

Sephex
09-07-2012, 01:57 AM
I never quit smoking (and I didn't ever start), but I did lose a lot of weight before. I have to say the whole willpower mentality is the way to go.

Faris
09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I recommend: Trading one addiction for another or to ease off. Oooh! Or maybe even one of those e-cigarets.

Similar to what Raistlin said, it was recommended to a peer in a similar situation to trade on addiction for another. I don't know if he tried it or if it worked since I don't care to interact with this person, however, when I had to quit drinking soda (I was drinking 1-3 cans a day at the time) I tried that theory. Whenever I craved soda, I would drink water instead and at the time I started drinking coffee which replaced the caffeine intake. It seemed to have worked because for a year I didn't have a single can of soda.
Quitting caffeine is a completely different story though. Tried that cold turkey and had migraines so never again. If I really wanted to quit, I would slowly reduce my intake.

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 02:56 PM
To be fair I've only ever quit something I was starting to enjoy less and less (alcohol) so I don't remotely know what it's like to have an addiction.

My mother's been trying and failing to quit smoking for years though, and constantly complains about having no money. Sure wish she'd see the pattern.

Parker
09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
I really enjoy smoking, but I've started smoking too much for my liking. I'm hoping to cut it down to one a day at the very most. I just moved house and won't be near smokers for a while, so I'm using it as an opportunity to quit.

Also, I'm joining the gym so I guess I'll need to cut it out.

Jinx
09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I really enjoy smoking, but I've started smoking too much for my liking. I'm hoping to cut it down to one a day at the very most. I just moved house and won't be near smokers for a while, so I'm using it as an opportunity to quit.

Also, I'm joining the gym so I guess I'll need to cut it out.

Always sneaking around, smoking.

Parker
09-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't know what you are talking about

Roogle
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
When did you start smoking? I thought you were a poor college student. The money spent on cigarettes could have been used for something much more practical.

blackmage_nuke
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Get a nicotine patch, then roll it up and smoke it

I know this isnt a particulary helpful post I just want to know if my theory is plausable

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2012, 03:21 AM
I used to smoke for a couple years until I was 19. I just quit cold turkey and it wasn't particularly bad to be honest.

Although I kind of do want one now. O_O

Jiro
09-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Get a nicotine patch, then roll it up and smoke it

I know this isnt a particulary helpful post I just want to know if my theory is plausable
I want to know too.

Jowy
09-08-2012, 06:12 AM
buying cigarettes is #1 priority if you are a smoker

you always have money for cigarettes. it really does help you learn how to manage your money effectively. but you're spending money on smokes. life is hard.