PDA

View Full Version : Games you tried to like but couldn't

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
The other day I played Sonic Adventure again, despite the fact I can't stand any of the 3D Sonic games, or Sonic's taller, slenderer design in general.

It was quite fun for the first couple of levels (especially when I was laughing my dick off at some of the hilariously awful cutscenes) but soon the game's fall-through-the-floor glitches (I died falling through the same floor about three times on one occasion) and awful camera got the better of me and I just couldn't take any more.

Sonic Adventure has always been one of those games I for some reason think I'm supposed to experience and I really have tried to enjoy it, but I just can't.

FF12 on the other hand, I did somehow force on myself enough that I now quite like it.

Anyone else have any games they tried to like but couldn't?

Madame Adequate
09-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Zelda. All of the Zelda. And FFIX. And FFXII.

I Took the Red Pill
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Jowy
09-07-2012, 05:16 PM

it gets really good after rogueport :(

really good

Araciel
09-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Final Fantasy

Slothy
09-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Pike, I'm a little concerned that this guy isn't right for you. I think we should have a talk.

Anyway, RE4 certainly qualifies. The opening village is kind of cool. Then I realized the movement controls hadn't changed at all from the clunky earlier games. Then I wasn't in the village anymore. Then the game went on for at least twice as long as it should have. And I fought the aiming system the entire way.

Ugh...

Raistlin
09-07-2012, 09:09 PM
FFVIII
Xenogears
Every Spider-Man game I've played since Spider-Man 2 :(

Edge7
09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
...Chrono Trigger *runs away from angry mob*.

To be fair, there are some things about this game I LOVE, I just can't ever motivate myself to finish it. Actually, I guess that counts as a game I like, but can't enjoy.

Alpha2099
09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
FFXII
Vagrant Story
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

I'm trying to think of games that I genuinely don't like, rather than games where I just lost interest, else this list would be longer and perhaps more inflammatory.

Slothy
09-07-2012, 09:36 PM
FFVIII
Xenogears

What about Ultimate Spider-Man? I didn't play 2 but I heard the web swinging mechanics were similar and it had a great story.

CimminyCricket
09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Infinite Undiscovery was horrible. The voice overs were horrid and it felt like they had stolen characters from other games they've done, but with a twist that made them obnoxious.

Jinx
09-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Shadow of the Colossus

Wolf Kanno
09-07-2012, 11:07 PM
FFX - I've played it through 3 times and I still find the whole game to be one of the most boring entries in the series. There are elements I like (battle system sounds great in theory, it is terrible in practice...) and some of the story and symbolism could have come off really good if the cast wasn't so flat and Square went out of their way to push the melodrama up to eleven in every cutscene.

Mirror's Edge - You know, when I'm actually just parkoring through the stages it's fun, combat is a chore and feels really out of place in the game's scenario and the story is not terribly good either. I'd probably just prefer a time attack mode with the engine and good set designs over a plot and combat.

Resident Evil (whole series) - Zombies are not scary and the games have awful controls.

Valkyria Chronicles - A lot of great ideas bogged down by a unnecessarily slow gameplay, tedious menu system, and a generic war story that tries to fit in every single anime anti-war series cliche it can find.

Steambot Chronicles - An odd anime steampunk GTA clone that has quite possibly the worst mecha controls I've ever seen for a game. The music games are fun though...

God of War - It's just a violent DMC clone that is more sluggish, filled to the brim with annoying QTEs, and has one of the most unlikable protagonists in an action game. If it wasn't for some of the game's clever puzzles, I'd say it was all visual flash and gore with little substance.

Super Mario Galaxy - I blame part of this on this game being the first 3D Mario game I've really spent some time on, but I don't know... I find the stages are pretty small and unnecessarily simple, not to mention that I bowed out of the series before collecting arbitrary McGuffins to get a perfect game became a core game mechanic. So that just seems like busy work rather than something I would care to actually do.

Shorty
09-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Civ.

come at me, huxley

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Resident Evil (whole series) - Zombies are not scary and the games have awful controls.

Another one I had to force on myself, but only the very first one, because the voice acting is hilarious and was well worth playing through to hear it all. Watching it on YouTube was just a bit too boring a way to access it, sadly.

What this means is that the rest of the series is very "eh" to me :P

FFX - I've played it through 3 times and I still find the whole game to be one of the most boring entries in the series. There are elements I like (battle system sounds great in theory, it is terrible in practice...) and some of the story and symbolism could have come off really good if the cast wasn't so flat and Square went out of their way to push the melodrama up to eleven in every cutscene.
Well that's more times than I, but then I wasn't trying to like it ;)

Rostum
09-08-2012, 12:29 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Laddy
09-08-2012, 12:58 AM
Civ.
*Drops A-Bomb*

Jowy
09-08-2012, 01:11 AM
I've never played it either. I watched someone play it for thirteen hours straight from sunrise to sunset and realized that would be a bad habit to emulate at any point.

Pike
09-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Civ V.

Hearts of Iron 3.

Bunny
09-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Every Final Fantasy after 6. Every Zelda after ALTTP. Morrowind, Oblivion, Resident Evil, Civilization, Fallout 3, Rift, Guild Wars, etc.

escobert
09-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Chromo Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Meta Gear Solid 2

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2012, 06:02 AM

FFVIII
Xenogears

...Chrono Trigger *runs away from angry mob*.

To be fair, there are some things about this game I LOVE, I just can't ever motivate myself to finish it. Actually, I guess that counts as a game I like, but can't enjoy.

Chromo Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Meta Gear Solid 2

You're all terrible people. :nonono:

I don't like any of the Resident Evil games much because I fucking hate the controls with a passion.

Pete for President
09-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2

Felt like that first time through when it just came out. Loved it when I went back 6 years later.

Some of my own:

Red Dead Redemption. Could you possibly hold my hand any tighter, Rockstar? And where do all the people I shoot come from? There's no value in making a kill if you're making them by the hundreds, be subtle for once.

GTA IV, same issues as above, plus the social life things.

Oblivion. I never liked it's art direction and leveling system. Dark Souls has shown me the right path.

FFXIII. What can I say, I tried. At some point while playing I thought 'at least I like the monster design...'. But then I thought: that's so sad...

Zelda, the Phantom Hourglass. The only Zelda I actually played. It was fun at first but when a game makes you go through the same dungeon (again and again) each time you want to progress, you know it's just shameless padding. I quote Yahtzee: 'that's not gameplay, that's just busy-work.'.

Shattered Dreamer
09-08-2012, 12:58 PM
The Total War series: Given that I am such a big Age Of Empires fan and Rise of Nations fan, a turn based RTS like any of the Total War games are just bloody painful!

Shadows Of The Damned: Too much swearing, sexual references and gore coupled with a poor control system. Every time I buy a new game it gets relegated. I do intend to finish it but only so I never have to play it again!

FFXIII: The battle system sucks simple as. Never finished it & I bought it when it launched!

I Am Alive: It just looks so so bland which makes me want to play it very little. A shame because it's not a bad game

Mirage
09-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Xenogears, Xenosaga, Zelda (several).

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
What about Ultimate Spider-Man? I didn't play 2 but I heard the web swinging mechanics were similar and it had a great story.

I've never played it, but maybe I'll have to now! Spider-Man 2 nearly mastered web swinging around the city, which was so fun I would sometimes just do that and ignore the game. It could have been a bit bigger and seriously needed more side stuff to do instead of chasing lost balloons, but most of the later games didn't build off of that at all.

escobert
09-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Xenogears
I was just about to add this to my list

Tigmafuzz
09-09-2012, 01:18 AM

FFXII
Vagrant Story

Shadow of the Colossus

Chromo Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Meta Gear Solid 2

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Jowy
09-09-2012, 05:26 AM
i have good taste so my list is pretty short

deus ex: human revolution (i will give it another try one day)
resident evil 5
the third birthday
suikoden tactics
twilight princess
gears of war online

Raistlin
09-09-2012, 05:49 AM
suikoden tactics

Oh yes, I forgot about that. It wasn't bad, but it just couldn't hold my interest for the whole game. But because it was a Suikoden game, I really wanted to like it.

Jowy
09-09-2012, 05:56 AM
that's the mentality i trudged through Suikoden IV with

Bunny
09-09-2012, 07:14 AM
I actually liked Suikoden IV :(

I really want to like all Tactics games but I just can't get over how utterly trash all the battles are. I'm all for battles taking 30+ minutes or whatever, but at least have them require some kind of strategy or something.

DMKA
09-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Real Life...and,......

Deus Ex
Resonance of Fate
Suikoden II
World of Warcraft

Mirage
09-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Oh, Deus Ex too.

Those games should be perfect for me, but for some reason, I stop playing them after 30 minutes when I try.

Jings
09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Minecraft.

It was fun for like a minute. Then a Creeper blows up your house and ragequit.

Madame Adequate
09-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Deus Ex
Suikoden II

Literally (and I mean really literally not hyperbolic literally) worse than Austrian-born Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

CimminyCricket
09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
You all reminded me of a lot of games I tried, but never did anything with. I tried to get into Metal Gear Solid, but when I last tried I wasn't exactly mister stealth. I tried to Suikoden games back when GHF was still up and nearly everyone there blew smoke up Suikoden's ass. Dance Dance Revolution never stuck with me, because I want to sit and be lazy and relaxed when I play video games. World of Warcraft was too boring for me to play by myself so I gave up on that, too.

Madame Adequate
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
That's because Suikoden is literally (and I mean really literally not hyperbolic literally) the best games series ever and anyone who doesn't get it is defective in a fundamental way. :colbert:

Shorty
09-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Bunny, you didn't like Fallout 3? :(

Slothy
09-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Honestly, I don't like Fallout 3 that much either. It's better than Oblivion though.

Sephex
09-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I like the Dragon Quest series. However, I don't like Dragon Quest VI at all. Yet, the creator cites that one as his favorite one. I don't really see it.

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2012, 04:05 AM
I though DQV was his favorite?

NeoCracker
09-10-2012, 04:06 AM

As it should be, because DQ V is glorious.

Bunny
09-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Bunny, you didn't like Fallout 3? :(

I thought it was boring.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Honestly, I don't like Fallout 3 that much either. It's better than Oblivion though.

A sharp stick in the eyeball is better than Oblivion though.

Fallout 3 has decent enough gameplay and a pretty nice setting, but everything else about it is crap. New Vegas, however, is GOTYAY.

Polnareff
09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Chrono Trigger and any Mario game after Paper Mario 2. CT had some cute ideas, but for some reason the game got immensely boring after a while. I think part of the reason was, it was too easy.

The Mario series went downhill for me after Thousand-Year Door. I played through about an hour of SMG and was like "....that's it?!" Same thing basically happened with NSMB as well.

Bunny
09-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm curious as to when people tried some of these games, particularly Chrono Trigger or any other SNES game that they just didn't like. CT definitely didn't age well and if your first attempt at playing it was relatively recent, I understand completely. If you played it when it was newer, then you are crazy.

Chris
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I have tried to love Koudelka. But the battles just kills it for me. They are SOOOOO slow and just uninteresting.

krissy
09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
so this thread is like the ultimate bridge burner isn't it

Sephex
09-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Can't find it now, but I SWEAR I read somewhere that VI was his favorite. Knowing you, you're probably correct.

My answer doesn't change, still. I just can't get into DQVI.

Polnareff
09-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm curious as to when people tried some of these games, particularly Chrono Trigger or any other SNES game that they just didn't like. CT definitely didn't age well and if your first attempt at playing it was relatively recent, I understand completely. If you played it when it was newer, then you are crazy.

I first played the game in 1997, when I was 8 years old ( a few months before FFVII, as I recall, because I hadn't played VII at the time). It was kinda cool because I was all into DBZ at the time, and Toriyama did the art for the game. But I couldn't get into it. The last RPG I'd played before that was BoF2, I believe. I got sick of CT pretty quickly, though. I can't really explain why. I tried it again a few years later and the same thing happened. I trudged through the game once and that was enough. Although that boss that keeps saying "I'M AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!" and then kills himself was pretty funny, and was worth playing the game up to that point. :jess:

Also, I can't believe I left out Koudelka. I didn't like it for the same reason Chris didn't. The battles were so agonizingly slow. Like "snails crawling uphill in molasses in January with the wind pushing them back" slow. The only good thing about the game is that it eventually led to the Shadow Hearts series.

Bolivar
09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Fallout 3 definitely. It made me think WRPGs just weren't for me for a long time.

FFVI and Xenogears were games I wanted to love like so many others do but just ended up liking.

I understand where people are going with DQVI. I'm a huge series fan and it kept the new ideas coming but I just wasn't taken by it and it remains unfinished. I think DQV was just too big of a game and too hard an act to follow.

As a huge shooter fan I've tried to understand Halo in its many iterations but have never wrapped my head around its peculiar design decisions or controller layout. I did like Halo 3 multiplayer initially when it launched and had a couple good games of Reach.

Recently tried AI Wars and despite its ambitious promise, I don't think it's gonna work out...

maybee
09-11-2012, 10:08 AM

I have to disagree to this. Chrono Trigger is fine and is still great minus the downgrade on the graphics but that can't be helped. It's not linear, has a amazing and creative plot, nice characters, decent music and different endings. All signs of a good solid and meaty game.

I played it last year and it was one of the best RPG titles that I've ever played !

Loony BoB
09-11-2012, 12:06 PM
FFII pretty much was this for most of the gameplay for me.

FFVI is similar in that I was expecting something amazing but never really got drawn into the game. Like Bolivar, I liked it but didn't love it like so many do.

milliegoesbeep
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Final fantasy VII, Gears of War and Brawl.

Bolivar
09-11-2012, 04:54 PM

I have to disagree to this. Chrono Trigger is fine and is still great minus the downgrade on the graphics but that can't be helped. It's not linear, has a amazing and creative plot, nice characters, decent music and different endings. All signs of a good solid and meaty game.

I played it last year and it was one of the best RPG titles that I've ever played !

I agree, I first played through the whole thing around 2007 and had a wonderful time the whole way through. I think Bunny might be suggesting that the game won't be earth-shatteringly mindblowing as it was when it was released.

Mercen-X
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Bullet Curtain... Scroll... Pitfall.

Balzac
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Skyrim. It's just not good :/

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
FFVIII: I finished the first disc and still didn't care for it.

God of War: In theory I would like it, but in practice it simply doesn't appeal.

Pokemon Black: WTF? Not a bad game but the absence of my favs just hurts. It just lost its allure.

Also, modern RPGs have made me abhor random battles. I LOATHE THEM. If I can see a monster ahead of time, then sure. Otherwise, GO DIE IN A FIRE.

sabin101
09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I am going to have to go with final fantasy 12. I really tried to like that game and I just could not get into that game no matter how hard I tried. I could not understand the combat system it was just to complicated for me. I did not like when you run the enemies keep running after you that was really not fun for me. I traded the game in for something else.

This one is going to be something most people would not bring up Lunar dragon song where is my shot gun atom bomb ak 47 good god that game was terrible. If you run you loose hit points what the heck where they thinking ugh. Sometimes in battle you would be trying to hit the enemy and then the worst thing that could happen your weapons breaks and there is nothing you can do anything about it. That game was just painful. It should not even have the name lunar in the game title. Everyone should stay away from this game you will hate it.

jlenoconel
10-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Skyrim. It's just not good :/

Yeah, I played this game today and have to say its one of the most boring and tedious experiences I have ever had as far as a video game goes. Its laughable that people try to say this is the best thing next to Final Fantasy VII, and some people say its better. Boring, with no real purpose, and wandering around aimlessly is not my idea of a good game.

NeoCracker
10-19-2013, 08:51 AM
So, I promised a friend I would troll internet message boards for five minutes during this night of drinking, so here we go!

Morrowind is overrated as fuck. Characters look ugly as hell, and the story is shit, though it has goid world building~

Xenogears is the most overrated game ever crafted by mans hands.

Take taht fan boys!

The Man
10-19-2013, 08:52 AM
My reaction to FFVII was similar to Bolivar's reaction to FFVI. It probably doesn't help that I played it about eight years after it first came out, but then, I first played FFVI about seven years after it came out and loved that, so *shrugs*

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of anything else offhand. I never did finish Super Mario RPG, but that's not because I didn't enjoy it but because I lost my smurfing save file and ragequit. I also never finished Xenogears, but that's due to putting my PS2 away due to moving and never getting it out again afterwards. I think I just don't really care enough about games anymore. I didn't even finish FFVI when I started replaying it earlier this year. :(

Spuuky
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Probably quite a few. Oblivion, FF7, Dragon Age, Settlers 5, Fallout 3, those are relatively recent ones that come to mind.

Pike
10-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Whoa this is a bit of a thread necro.