PDA

View Full Version : Of all the things that could happen this is the WORST POSSIBLE THING

Pike
09-08-2012, 02:00 AM
What are some times you've made a little mistake that could have turned into a BIG DEAL?

When I was a junior in college I had this massive final project worth 50% of my grade or something coming up and I somehow got the due date COMPLETELY messed up and thought I had a week longer than I actually had. I found out about this an hour or so before the project was due. Fortunately my professor understood my long and profuse emailed apology and pleading for an extension-- he must've sensed the panic in my words-- but oh man that was bad.

Bunny
09-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Every time I have am important paper due in a class, I procrastinate until the last day and freak out about how I'm never going to get it done and I'm going to fail the class. Then I manage to finish it, turn it in and get an A. This has been happening since I got to college.

fire_of_avalon
09-08-2012, 03:01 AM
So then why do you keep doing the freaking out part?

Agent Proto
09-08-2012, 03:40 AM
Freaking out is sort of a motivation to finish on time with so little time left. It's an okay method if you can BS your work and make it look as if you actually took the time to work on it rather than procrastinate. I seem to fail whenever I try this out, since I like to have as much time to work on my papers. There were times when I felt that I was gonna drop a bomb on something, but it turned out that it really wasn't that much of a deal. Like the one time I waited to do something. My mom kept on badgering me to get to it, or else. She made it sound worse than it actually turned out. So I try to stop worrying so much whenever these things happen. Most often, it's really not so big a deal that my mom makes them out to be. :p

Sephex
09-08-2012, 03:55 AM
The whole working on a project at the last minute thing is something I always did. The one time I actually did buckle down and work hard I didn't get as good as grade as I did when I was in a last minute panic. Never worked hard again.

Jiro
09-08-2012, 04:50 AM
I always give myself less time to have things done so I panic and get it done and then relax for a week :monster:

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 05:02 PM

There's no motivation to get it done unless you're worried about not being able to finish! This was all I did in college, as well. I would also say high school, but half the time I never even did the homework.

Laddy
09-08-2012, 05:14 PM
God, I thought I was a bad student, but apparently...

Rantz
09-08-2012, 05:46 PM
TIL that if I'm ever a teacher I'm giving my students a huge project every week and FAILING them if they don't get it in.

Bunny
09-08-2012, 05:57 PM

No clue.

Madame Adequate
09-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I once wandered into class in uni with a paper due in, worth a good 20% of my grade or something. Only thing is of the two classes I had that day it was the other one which had the paper due; the class I thought it was for didn't have it due for like another two weeks.

Fortunately both classes had the same teacher, and she was entirely understanding both because I was a hard worker with no late handins anyway, and because I had the other paper right there to show I'd been doing work. Just... you know, the wrong work. :p

sharkythesharkdogg
09-08-2012, 07:16 PM
^^^^ still luck you had an understanding teacher. Some of them just couldn't find a way to care less even if they wanted. Which they do.

Christmas
09-09-2012, 03:00 AM
Deadlines are deadly. Beyond my deadline given means you are dead. That's what I tell my students. :mymelbert:

But I always swayed when they show me the puppies' face look. :(

Jiro
09-09-2012, 03:34 AM
I want Christmas as my teacher because I could sucker her with my puppy dog eyes.

Raistlin
09-09-2012, 05:39 AM
I want Christmas as my teacher so I could just blame all my missing homework on Manus.

Tigmafuzz
09-09-2012, 05:40 AM
I want Christmas as my teacher because I could sucker her with my puppy dog eyes.

I would make the bigsmile face all the time if she was my teacher :bigsmile:

Jessweeee♪
09-09-2012, 12:17 PM
This doesn't count because it sort of did turn into a big deal but this one time I fudged up an order of business cards. My boss asked me to change the phone number on the design, and I misread his writing and typed the number in wrong. I sent the design to him for approval and he okayed it and I went and had them ordered. That was his bad, it was his writing that was weird and when I had him double check it he didn't pay attention. But then when the mistake was caught and I fixed it, for some stupid reason I didn't delete the older typo'd version. I kept both. Guess which one I sent off to the printing company? It was a $100 mistake and boy did I get a lecture for that one :(

Jiro
09-09-2012, 01:08 PM
There I was thinking it was a big deal. Is $100 that big a deal for your company? Honestly? Bah.

Shorty
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I am constantly stressing that all of my little mistakes will actually be big deals.

Most recently, our kitchen floors were set to be sealed and my boss is a huge stickler for everything to be perfect - ie, one little inch of that floor that gets smudged before it dries will be the end of the world.

People work late and come in early and use the kitchen at all hours of the day. I forgot to put up signs saying STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN FUCKHEADS SO THESE FLOORS CAN DRY to keep people out, and woke up at about 2am freaking out and and couldn't go back to sleep. I thought of just going to the office to put up the signs so my boss would see that I tried but that didn't sound like a great idea at 2am, and what if they were already messed up? So I just layed awake and essentially tortured myself for hours worrying about it.

tdlr; I made a huge deal out of it in my head for no reason because the floors were fine. Had anyone messed them up, though, I would have been in a world of hurt.

Jiro
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Made some mistakes at work today :shobon:

Jinx
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Made some mistakes at work today :shobon:

Just smile and charm them.

I Took the Red Pill
09-10-2012, 01:38 PM
re: all the college stuff

I think it's hilarious that (for me anyways) in high school the teachers were always drilling nonsense like "YOU DIDNT FINISH THIS BY 11:00:00 AM?!?!?! This shit will NOT fly with your professors in college."

I'm pretty sure I was never once denied a request for an extension in college, and almost all of them were obtained by a last minute email.

Jessweeee♪
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
There I was thinking it was a big deal. Is $100 that big a deal for your company? Honestly? Bah.

We've had no income besides investments from the President of the company, so it kinda is xD

Shiny
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I was only able to complete projects in high school and essays in college with some level of urgency needed. I couldn't do this with film projects though because that required more pre-planning. I remember many times a lot of students didn't finish things on time, so the teacher would give us all one more day. Sometimes people are just unrealistic about deadlines and sometimes we are just procrastinating little shits.

One time I lost my unlimited metro card for work like a silly sally, but the receipt was kept and there's insurance on 30 day cards, so my boss was able to get his money back. The rest of the things I've had to pay for can be mostly covered through T&E reports. :monster: