PDA

View Full Version : The Double Edged Sword of the Social Media archive

fire_of_avalon
09-08-2012, 03:36 AM
I could probably write a huge essay on this, but I'm more concerned that I was just reminded of an awful bug nightmare I had back in January because I was reading my old facebook status updates.

I think it's amazing that there's a record of all the nonsense I spout on a regular basis and i love that. Until I stupidly record something that makes me sad or ashamed or afraid and then I relive it to.

Tell me about the type of things you post on social media. Have you ever gone back in your grown up age, looked at things and then cringed or laughed?

Jinx
09-08-2012, 03:37 AM
15 year old me

angsty little shit

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2012, 03:40 AM
I don't mind any of the stuff I've posted on Facebook. Oh man, did I ever cringe going back and looking at some of the stuff I posted on Xanga before.

fire_of_avalon
09-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Okay the new rule is now you have to post the thing that embarrasses you, so Juli you link us to that Xanga.

Sephex
09-08-2012, 03:57 AM
I found my old Xanga journal from eight years ago. Ugh. Also, old lj posts are pretty terrible. A lot of people regret saying dumb things as a teen. Well, I regret saying things as a young adult.

Another fun fact I have considered: If I ever have children he/her/they will probably find all the crap on the internet I have ever said. I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Clo
09-08-2012, 04:07 AM
I genuinely worry about this. It's like a carbon footprint, except we pollute the cyberverse with youthful ignorance.

Agent Proto
09-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Most of the angsty stuff I had on Livejournal from the last decade is pretty much gone because I deleted my account. I don't use my Facebook much, but my mom is pretty upset I would share some "important" stuff leaving her the last to know.

Pfft, whatever.

Jinx
09-08-2012, 04:35 AM
angsty little trout

okay, i take back what i said before

this is fucking funny

Jiro
09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
It's so much easier to burn physical copies of things

Tigmafuzz
09-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Lol social media.

Bunny
09-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Every god damn thing I post on the internet is the most important thing any of you shits will ever read in your miserable god damn lives.

Freya
09-08-2012, 06:00 AM
My old livejournal. oh gawd.

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Okay the new rule is now you have to post the thing that embarrasses you, so Juli you link us to that Xanga.

I deleted every single entry before deleting my account. :p

Jiro
09-08-2012, 06:48 AM
That is way too much effort, I don't believe you.

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I'm paranoid and I wanted that crap gone.

Araciel
09-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm 30. I've been an 'adult' since I've had social media.

Citizen Bleys
09-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I went looking through my old LJ for something sufficiently cringeworthy and didn't find anything that I hadn't deleted or locked that fit the bill.

I did, however, find this (http://citizenbleys.livejournal.com/382837.html), and it made my day. I must Evernote it at once.

EDIT: Point being, social media has some awesome benefits as well.

Christmas
09-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Christmas likes to post in third person to her wonderful goddess in EoFF with lots and lots of small little emoticons we called smileys!!! :bigsmile: :cool::(:kakapo::):p:D:mad::tongue::redface::eep::|:jess::love::confused::eek::cry::roll2

Christmas always like to talk about sexy rats (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/94157-does-killing-rats-count-animal-cruelty.html), the wonderful EoFF staffs (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/98142-just-me-staff-getting-nicer.html),help on making a magnificent forum (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-chat/97868-help-devil-man-make-forum.html) and lastly about manly man paying for worthless child (http://home.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/98128-should-guys-pay-unwanted-kids.html). :cry::eek::redface::greenie:;)

Those are just some of it you juicy sexy goddessess of EoFF. Stay till for more and Christmas loves you all!!!:love::love::love::love::love:

Pike
09-08-2012, 10:27 AM
My old LJ is pretty bad but on the other hand before LJ I was regularly keeping a physical diary since I was 7 or 8 years old and some of that crap was pretty bad too.

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I rarely post overly personal information to social media. I use it mostly to discuss or link to stuff that interests me. My old LJ was mostly internet stuff/humor, politics, religion/atheism, and fantasy football. Obviously a lot has changed. :p

There's certainly some cringe-worthy stuff, too, but not related to personal details. For instance, I remember when I was 12 at least once using the phrase "r0x0rz" in a non-ironic fashion.

Shorty
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
I deleted a lot of old angsty crap from my lj and my entire second lj account that was just horseshit.

The worst that's floating around now are old posts on here and any old AIM logs that Jason Lynch has that he consistently reminds me about.

Shlup
09-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Going back through my LJ a few months ago, I surprisingly didn't hate myself. I still set everything to private though. My Facebook is also set to private, and I don't post much on other people's things because not enough people set theirs to private.

Balzac
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm 30. I've been an 'adult' since I've had social media.

Yet that doesn't stop me posting necrophilia jokes on FB.

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Every year I go through and delete all of my embarrassing LJ entries which is usually all of them.

Balzac
09-14-2012, 03:37 PM
People still use LJ?