PDA

View Full Version : Square should've added a manual camera control to the right analogue stick

*Laurelindo*
09-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Why didn't Square allow the player to manually control the camera angles in this game?
I always found it pretty stupid that the right analogue stick wasn't useful for anything in the overworld, and the only excuse I can think of would be that it would take up too much memory (although I find that highly unlikely).
It would've frankly been a lot more fun to play this game if you could actually change the perspective.
You could've even switched between Manual and Auto by pressing R3 or something, or even choose the type of camera angle before starting a new file if you want it to "stick" and remain unchanged.

If it isn't too costy or inconvenient for Square (which it shouldn't be, considering all the remakes that all game companies always release, particularly the games by Capcom) I really think they should release the newer versions with this included, in my mind there is absolutely no reason not to do that.
Leaving out the camera angle control is a huge waste, and it's a pity that they did it that way.

Jinx
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I've always felt that as well. The game is so linear as it is, the fixed camera angles make it more so.

dunk
09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Why didn't Square allow the player to manually control the camera angles in this game?
I always found it pretty stupid that the right analogue stick wasn't useful for anything in the overworld, and the only excuse I can think of would be that it would take up too much memory (although I find that highly unlikely).
It would've frankly been a lot more fun to play this game if you could actually change the perspective.
You could've even switched between Manual and Auto by pressing R3 or something, or even choose the type of camera angle before starting a new file if you want it to "stick" and remain unchanged.

If it isn't too costy or inconvenient for Square (which it shouldn't be, considering all the remakes that all game companies always release, particularly the games by Capcom) I really think they should release the newer versions with this included, in my mind there is absolutely no reason not to do that.
Leaving out the camera angle control is a huge waste, and it's a pity that they did it that way

It would be awesome if they did this, but i imagine they didnt render what the camera doesn't see, so yeah it probably did save space and alot of time and over all smoothness of the game play ( it was a ps2 remember) the remake will be awesome if they do this.

i mean you come too the top of luca and go on the high road, and you could turn around and take a look at the city from an over view, in which case the actualy layout of the city would need too this view also, so it is indeed alot of work.

*Laurelindo*
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Yes; now that I think about it, Konami did the exactly same thing with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well.
That game had even worse camera problems (everybody remembers that goddamn Groznyj Grad escape) but they eventually released a new version where you could change the angles.
I hope they do the same with FF10 someday as well.

Freya
09-09-2012, 04:49 PM
This was one of the release titles with the PS2, there wasn't too many engines made to do such a thing. Really not one that would handle Square's graphics. They went with their tried and true style they had used in the PSone Era. It wasn't until 12that you got more camera movement, and then everyone complained about that.

ReloadPsi
09-09-2012, 09:46 PM
An acquaintance of mine in uni told me that camera programming for a video game is actually obscenely difficult. That might've been why. 3D games have had crap cameras for years, and I imagine that's why: people can't be arsed, and can't afford to pay someone to be arsed.

Jinx
09-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm sorry, but I think the camera controls in FFXII are actually pretty damn good.

Goldenboko
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Meh, I felt that the camera angles were never bad so I didn't notice.

Jiro
09-10-2012, 02:19 AM
I didn't mind, the camera was usually set up to make things more cinematic.

Slothy
09-10-2012, 02:30 AM
You know, when it came out it never actually bothered me. But since I've been playing for the Let's Play, my thumb is always on the right stick and my brain rages when it does nothing.

Nebulance
09-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Yes; now that I think about it, Konami did the exactly same thing with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well.
That game had even worse camera problems (everybody remembers that goddamn Groznyj Grad escape) but they eventually released a new version where you could change the angles.
I hope they do the same with FF10 someday as well.

This. Was just going to mention this -- but I don't remember camera issues there, maybe the US version was ok? I just played this game a few months ago again, but that was the HD edition…

Roogle
09-10-2012, 03:41 AM
I am fairly certain that the fixed camera angles were intentional to shorten the development time of the game and to produce cheaper models. I imagine that a remake of the game of some kind would allow one to see more of the world of Spira than what is displayed in the original game. It is a shame as this Final Fantasy has a pretty developed world plan.

DMKA
09-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Never bothered me personally.

Raistlin
09-10-2012, 04:56 AM
You know, when it came out it never actually bothered me. But since I've been playing for the Let's Play, my thumb is always on the right stick and my brain rages when it does nothing.

One of the things that irked me about playing with a USB controller without analog sticks is that I didn't have a right stick to change the camera. I had forgotten that FFX didn't even allow that.

James_Cub
11-18-2012, 08:14 AM
I re-played it after re-playing XII and all I could do was curse because I was so used to the camera in XII and it felt so difficult not having it anymore..