09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Choose one what?

Laddy
09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Joel vs. Mike

The Man
09-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Choose one what?

I was in the process of posting the poll. smurf. Gimme a minute.

Feel free to take in the audio dramas if you feel they're canon. Paul McGann and Colin Baker probably won't get many votes if people don't, though that's hardly either of their faults.

Laddy
09-10-2012, 02:34 AM
Missed point of thread. Off to make a new one.

Jowy
09-10-2012, 02:34 AM
i feel like it's too late to start watching doctor who

The Man
09-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Start with the revived series. It's as good an entry point as any, and that way you only have six series and a couple of episodes to worry about rather than thirty-two and change.

Or you could just start with the beginning of Moffat's tenure, which is series five of the revived series.

Of course once you get hooked there is a pretty good chance you will want to see all the old episodes, but :monster:

Raistlin
09-10-2012, 03:40 AM
3IlJFNMAJ-k

The Man
09-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Come to think of it, maybe watching some of the best stand-alone episodes first would be the best way to get into the show. To that extent, I'd recommend:

The End of the World (Ninth Doctor/Rose Tyler, Series 1)
Dalek (Ninth Doctor/Rose Tyler, Series 1)
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (Ninth Doctor/Rose Tyler/Captain Jack Harkness, Series 1)
The Girl in the Fireplace (Tenth Doctor/Rose Tyler, Series 2)
Human Nature/The Family of Blood (Tenth Doctor/Martha Jones, Series 3)
Blink (Tenth Doctor/Martha Jones, Series 3; "Doctor-lite" and "Companion-lite" episode, which means both of them don't appear much in the episode; the lead role is Sally Sparrow, played by Carey Mulligan before she was particularly famous)
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (Tenth Doctor/Donna Noble/River Song, Series 4)
Midnight (Tenth Doctor/Donna Noble, Series 4; Companion-lite)
The Eleventh Hour (Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond/Rory Williams, Series 5)
The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone (Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond/River Song, Series 5)
Vincent and the Doctor (Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond, Series 5)
The Doctor's Wife (Eleventh Doctor/Amy Pond/Rory Williams, Series 6)

Twelve stories is probably a fair kickoff selection from the new series. From the old series I'd recommend Genesis of the Daleks and, if you can put up with some hilariously awful special effects, The Ark in Space and the entire The Key to Time arc. (I haven't watched any of the non-Tom Baker serials from the old series yet, but The Caves of Androzani comes highly recommended).

Laddy
09-10-2012, 05:32 AM
I consulted a friend on who to vote for because I know nothing of Doctor Who. She said Colin Baker. Works for me!

Tigmafuzz
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM
These are old but still relevant:

http://i.imgur.com/IY9QO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/butqe.jpg

Baker will always be my favorite, although Tennant was damn good.

Slothy
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Tennant wasn't my first Doctor, but I do believe he's my favourite. Though I do like Matt Smith quite a bit as well. I've never watched anything before the revived series.

Cloudane
09-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I'll get back to you! I'm still slogging my way through Hartnell's era. They really churned out a LOT of episodes back then, not like the mere 6-12 per series we have nowadays. There are absolutely loads!

Out of the new ones, Tennant = win.

blackmage_nuke
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I consulted a friend on who to vote for because I know nothing of Doctor Who. She said Colin Baker. Works for me!

Your friend disgusts me, even if she was just kidding

This is a very tough question, if it was just out of the old series, then its a toss up between Sylvester McCoy or Peter Davison. (Sylvester was the better Doctor but his adventures and companions kinda sucked so Peter had the better series)

Out of the new series I wouldnt be able to decide, Christopher Eccleston's series was too short, David Tennant's was too long and Matt Smith doesnt seem to have hung around too long yet and I do love that he has an entourage again rather than just one female companion as it has been since Colin Baker. So in terms of series, Smith, but in terms of the doctor himself I really wish I couldve seen more of Eccleston. Not that there was anything wrong with Tennant, he was great, but he just hung around too long.

If I had to compare who was my favourite out of the old and new series combined I wouldnt be able to choose

Though I've only seen the first few episodes of William Hartnell and one arc about daleks of Tom Baker and none of the second and third doctor so I cant really judge.

John Simm is the best Master though, hands down

But most importantly of all, Colin Baker was the scum of the earth.

Mirage
09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Tennant fo' sho'.

Goldenboko
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
House... (?)

NeoCracker
09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I could never get into Dr. Who.

The Man
09-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Colin Baker's tenure on the show itself was mostly terrible, as he himself would be willing to admit, but that's mostly due to the huge amount of executive meddling and nothing to do with his abilities as an actor. He was supposed to have nine seasons and a very well developed character arc that would change his Doctor from a bit of a jerkass to a much more sympathetic character, but this was aborted because the head of the BBC at the time didn't like him (it didn't help that he was sleeping with Baker's ex-wife). He was fired purely for this reason after two seasons in which he hadn't been given much autonomy in the first place.

However, his tenure on the Big Finish audio dramas is so well-loved that in a recent poll over people's favourite audio Doctor, Colin Baker won by a landslide. So make of that what you will.

Freya
09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Tennant :kaoclove:

Slothy
09-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Tennant :kaoclove:

:beer:

Bunny
09-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't have any experience with pre-Eccleston Doctors so out of the three, Matt Smith does it for me in all the right ways.

Night Fury
09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I like Eccleston the best, I wish he'd stayed a little longer.

That said, the episode with Madam de Pompadour is amazing and that's Tennant's series.

fire_of_avalon
09-11-2012, 01:43 AM
I have never watched Dr. Who but David Tennant is handsome.

Tigmafuzz
09-11-2012, 02:06 AM
I have never watched Dr. Who

http://i.imgur.com/859nB.gif

BUT FOA YOU'RE SO AWESOME HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE SEEN DOCTOR WHO

Mercen-X
09-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Karl Urban

Old Manus
09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I really struggle to watch Dr Who as I can never quite tell whether the hammy acting and script is deliberately meant to be some kind of tongue in cheek tomfoolery, or whether it is actually just bad.

The Man
09-12-2012, 06:33 PM
The hammy acting is definitely deliberate, at least in the new show. I suspect the scripts are too.

Jiro
09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Need to watch Dr Who more considering the fact I've loved everything I've seen of it. Some of the old seasons used to air on the telly a few years back and even that was great.

Balzac
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
These are old but still relevant:

http://i.imgur.com/IY9QO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/butqe.jpg

Baker will always be my favorite, although Tennant was damn good.

This guy knows. Baker was easily the best!