PDA

View Full Version : Our Franchise Sucks

Jiro
09-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Or at least these guys (http://videogamewriters.com/your-franchise-sucks-final-fantasy-54264) say so. What do you think? Agree with them? Some of their points valid even?

Shorty
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
I'd actually like to note on what one of the commenters touches on - the fact that it's all a matter of taste. Throwing the entirety of Final Fantasy under a single umbrella of judgement is pretty unfair because while they're all similar, they're all very different. It's like saying "I hate fruit" when there's only really a few that are bad apples.

Somewhere else posted something on this site (I can't remember who and I can't be arsed to search for it) stating that the great thing about Final Fantasy is that if you aren't fond of one game, there's a chance that one of the others will appeal to you (or something along those lines, wish I could quote to acknowledge credit). That's pretty much how I feel about it. There's something for everyone in this franchise and if you don't like any of it at all, you're probably just hungry for hateburgers.

ShinGundam
09-11-2012, 09:32 AM
I didn't read it, but knowing gamers nowadays it is probably nothing more than their will to whine or hate and turn everything into hyperbole.

Jinx
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh, it's a webcast. Eh.

I both agree and disagree with you, Shorty. I think it's perfectly possible to REASONABLY not like any Final Fantasy. My friend, she doesn't like them, because you can't actively control you character (as opposed to Kingdom Hearts, one of her favourite games.) But she doesn't hate the game for baseless reasons. The gameplay itself is something she doesn't enjoy, so the whole series is kind of out for her.

Slothy
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Somewhere else posted something on this site (I can't remember who and I can't be arsed to search for it) stating that the great thing about Final Fantasy is that if you aren't fond of one game, there's a chance that one of the others will appeal to you (or something along those lines, wish I could quote to acknowledge credit). That's pretty much how I feel about it. There's something for everyone in this franchise and if you don't like any of it at all, you're probably just hungry for hateburgers.

You're either thinking of this post:

I saw this image today and wondered what you all think of it. Is there a such thing as a "best" Final Fantasy?

Or someone else in that thread who agreed with it. At work and can't listen to the cast so I have no thoughts on what they said right now.

What would you do without me Shorty?

Loony BoB
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Can't view the site at work. :( But haters gonna hate, as the saying goes.

Sephex
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
It seems like the point of the article is to take a popular series and focus on the negative. It reminds me of the American football segment at Deadspin where they go through all NFL teams and each article is titled "Why your team sucks: [team]"

Christmas
09-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I WILL DIE TO DEFEND FINAL FANTASY!!! MESSIAH!!! FINAL FANTASY IS THE MESSIAH!!!!

Mercen-X
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
My friend, she doesn't like them, because you can't actively control you character (as opposed to Kingdom Hearts, one of her favourite games.) But she doesn't hate the game for baseless reasons. The gameplay itself is something she doesn't enjoy, so the whole series is kind of out for her.

Has she tried playing Dirge of Cerberus? You may be afraid she'll dislike it because you don't like the story. But the story for KH isn't a godsend either. Just tell her to try out DC.

Shorty
09-11-2012, 06:47 PM

You're either thinking of this post:

I saw this image today and wondered what you all think of it. Is there a such thing as a "best" Final Fantasy?

Or someone else in that thread who agreed with it. At work and can't listen to the cast so I have no thoughts on what they said right now.

What would you do without me Shorty?

It's not that post specifically, but you're probably right that it's something in that thread.

I'd be so lost!