PDA

View Full Version : Old places with familiar faces

Faris
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Today I stopped by the grocery store that I used to work at and anyone who would recognize me is always happy to see me and we end up chatting for a while. I'll go in for something that takes 1 minute to get and end up staying for about a half hour just catching up on each others lives.

Do you ever visit old work places or schools?

Mercen-X
09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I worked with my dad who was a contractor installing drainage pipes. Then I worked at a college cafeteria about 3 hours away from where I currently live. Then I worked for a month at a mortgage firm as a gopher. I was let go about a month before the company went under. I do know a few people from that job outside of work, but they're my mom's friends whom I got the job through. I then worked for a week at a bottle factory... my job being to take bottles out of boxes and put them in labeled boxes and then throw away what trash was left behind including whatever bottles my coworkers (surprisingly frequently) dropped and broke. I only ever dropped one bottle but luck was on my side and it bounced harmlessly without so much as a chip as a result.

Rant done. No I've never returned to a workplace or school ever. The closest I've had to this experience was having a teacher from an older school show up at my new school and recognize me and, unable to contain herself like some old grannie, gave me a hug.

Shorty
09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I've moved away from any place that I could go visit. I stopped by one of my old jobs in Arizona after I quit once, but that was about as far as it went.

I went back to my elementary school a few years ago to visit some of my teachers back then. It's crazy how different a place like that is perceived as a child and as an adult.

Slothy
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I totally read that as feces. I was scared to click on the thread for a second.

I've gone back to my High School to get references back when I was new in University and had no real job experience. My old teachers were almost always happy to see me. I guess it helps that I was really frigging smart and always had good grades. Even the teachers who's classes I chatted through with my best friend because I usually finished my homework for the night before leaving class seemed happy to see me.

Jowy
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
i usually go hang out at the warehouse for an hour or so once a week after work to just shoot the :skull::skull::skull::skull: with all of my old friends there.

Night Fury
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I always like to go back to my old Sixth Form Centre from time to time and it's lovely to see some of the old lecturers. I never really enjoyed school but really came out of my shell at Sixth Form and a lot of the people there really helped me with a lot of stuff, so I'll always feel like I want to go back.

Pike
09-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I go back to my old jobs and chat with people sometimes. (We usually all just end up talking about WoW.) <3

Chris
09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I feel awkward going back to visit an old work place, so I try not to. It is nice though to meet old acquaintances.

Raistlin
09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
It's rare for me, but I visited my old high school earlier this year. Most of my teachers have since left, but I met with my old AP US History teacher and even spoke briefly with her cool Street Law elective class about law school. I've been meaning to go back and visit some of my college professors, but I haven't gotten around to it.

I generally don't go back to visit old work places, though I probably should.

SeronStar
09-11-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't like going back to the town I grew up in. Whenever I go there, all I see is how much it's changed, and I hate that. And I can't even go back to my school; it's been merged with another school so it's nothing like it was. As for seeing old faces, most of the people I knew in school don't seem to recognise me for some reason...either that or they just don't want to 'recognise' me.

escobert
09-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I often go to places I once worked but very few of the same people are there.

I don't really talk to anyone anywhere. I'm one of those asshole people that are always in a hurry to do nothing.

Iceglow
09-12-2012, 12:23 AM
I said my goodbyes to a few staff members in HMV today when I went and cleared my locker out ect. It was surprising a fair few people were like "wow, you're gone... so were you pushed or did you walk?" to which I laughed and said "Walked? I'm bloody running mate screaming the word freedom!" I'm not sure when I'll next go back in to that place, there were some really good memories there but mostly the memories suck so I am sure I'll be avoiding it in future.

I went back to the sainsbury's I worked in when I was down my mom's at one point to get some bits with my sister, we ended up spending like a good 20 mins at the customer service desk joking with the girls on there who remembered me and a fair few people gave me high fives and the like walking round. I found it ironic that many of the people on my department didn't recognize me but the checkouts staff in particular remembered me well. I guess that goes to show how much time I spent on the checkouts there.

Last time I saw a school teacher of mine was when I worked in Sainsbury's my old chemistry/maths (she taught me both over the years, maths in year 7 and chemistry from year 9 onwards) teacher Mrs Whitehead came in. She was a tough old lady, about 4'10" tall and suffered with disabled hands which meant a lot of the time being a sensible kid in her opinion I had to help out with the "dangerous" experiments that were demonstrated to the class rather than us being allowed to do them ourselves. She recognized me instantly and had a go at me because I was wasting my potential and I needed to get out of there and in to a real job. I liked her as a teacher immensely because no matter how much I got in to fights to defend myself or started to screw about in class she knew I was smart enough to do the work and that giving me the no-nonsense pep talk would see me pull it together. It was her who told me when I was banished from the physics lab, that my physics teacher was second rate and an idiot and I just needed to follow the text books and I would understand it. Thanks to that speech I passed my physics GCSE.

Christmas
09-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I always go back to old workplaces and schools to visit everyone!!!! :kaoclove:

But no one gives a damn about me when I go see them. :cry:

Mercen-X
09-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Empty spaces
What are we living for?
Abandoned places
It seems we know the score
On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for

Empty spaces, fill me up with holes
Distant faces, with no place left to go

All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces...

fire_of_avalon
09-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Nope.

Tigmafuzz
09-12-2012, 04:01 AM
nyone who would recognize me is always happy to see me and we end up chatting for a while. I'll go in for something that takes 1 minute to get and end up staying for about a half hour just catching up on each others lives.

THIS HAPPENS TO ME EVERYWHERE I GO. Which is why Sarah usually goes places instead of me.

Shauna
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I am back in my hometown now. I have not bumped into anyone I know yet. Pretty glad of this, tbh. Don't really wanna reconnect.

Jiro
09-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Saw a teacher from high school today. Not one I actually had for any classes - I think he subbed for us once - but it was incredibly unexpected.

Pike
09-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I am back in my hometown now. I have not bumped into anyone I know yet. Pretty glad of this, tbh. Don't really wanna reconnect.

I know how this goes. When I moved back to my hometown I specifically tried to keep a low profile.

Iceglow
09-18-2012, 07:13 PM

I know how this goes. When I moved back to my hometown I specifically tried to keep a low profile.

The best thing of living in London is as a city it's so bloody big that I can always pick a new part of London to move to and hope that people don't bump in to me. The issue is when you go out places like clubs and people will literally travel 12 miles across town to go to that one club and you bump in to them there.

I'm considering that in a few years depending on what my life throws my way I may well leave London. Hopefully by that time I will have a better idea of what I want. Considering that I could progress quite easily in my current field to a management position and the number of firms after good customer service managers and agents it might be something I look in to.

Clo
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Sometimes people make me feel guilty for this, but I actually hate visiting old places and stirring up old feelings and connections.

Keep on truckin'.

Jiro
09-18-2012, 11:45 PM
The best thing of living in London is as a city it's so bloody big that I can always pick a new part of London to move to and hope that people don't bump in to me. The issue is when you go out places like clubs and people will literally travel 12 miles across town to go to that one club and you bump in to them there.

Oh no not 12 miles. Goddammit it's like 50 odd kilometres to my nearest club and it's a piece of shit place full of creepy dudes who just like to bash strangers.

Denmark
09-18-2012, 11:50 PM
here

also yeah i've been back to my college twice since graduating (4 months ago) to see friends who are still there