PDA

View Full Version : I Am Ready At Last

Forsaken Lover
09-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Final Fantasy VI...

Final Fantasy 6...

Final Fantasy III...o wait.

This game is an enigma to me. As fellow members of the FF fandom, I'm sure you have witnessed first hand the dare I say holy treatment this game is given by its followers.

If everything I have ever heard about this game from its fans is accurate, I expect to orgasm within the first five seconds of gameplay.

So yes, I have never actually played this game. No, that's not accurate completely. Back when I was around 8 or 9 maybe I was a really dumb kid and could barely wrap my mind around Mario, let alone RPGs. I rented FFVI if its Anthology incarnation because Final Fantasy was the da bomb back in the late 90s. I didn't know why but I knew it was the popular thing to do so I had to at least try to play this wondrous series.

Luckily I have marginally increased my intelligence to the point I've beaten about half of the main series as well as several other JRPGs. I no longer fear the darkness.

No, the only thing I fear is hyper-expectation. I have purposefully avoided this game for the simple fact it is so goddam popular. I figured that, if I were to truly savor its perfection, I would have to move to some barren wasteland where I could be pumped full of anti-sleep medicine and nutrients through a tube so that way nothing could distract me. I mean, what if my nephew walks in during the Opera Scene? I could be on the verge of breaking down from the overwhelming emotion but then the experience would be lost forever and I could never bask in its light again.

Am I being melodramatic/snarky? Perhaps. My point is that FFVI has been put on a pedestal that is roughly the size of the Chrysler Building and I have not wanted to play the game only to have it fall pitifully short of my hopes.

But...here I am. And I am asking you all a question before I get the game.

I cannot play GBA games. I do not own a SNES. I have heard many bad things about the Anthology version but I really don't care about load times. That's just par for the course with PS1 games and if I could play through FFIX several times, I fear nothing short of Sonic '06.

So, to my inquiry. Does Anthology use Woolsey's script from the SNES version? This was the one that first captivated so many of my peers after all. I hear tell the Advance version is darker and more accurate but who cares. I just want to know if Anthology is more or less SNES FF3 but with a couple FMVs and a 9-character limit instead of 10 for some reason.

Slothy
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Anthology is just the SNES version with FMV's. I've never head of any change to the character limit though. As long as the loading times don't bother you there's no reason not to play that one. Especially if it's the only version you have available.

Jowy
09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
honestly you're gimping yourself not sucking it up and emulating the GBA version

no sketch glitch, evade actually works, blind actually works, four extra summons, and a mildly amusing bonus dungeon

oh and you can get the Ragnarok summon and sword both. :aimsun:

CimminyCricket
09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm playing the Anthology version I got of the PSN and I haven't had any problems or gripes at all and it is my first play through.

theundeadhero
09-12-2012, 12:48 AM
The Anthologies version has some minor changes, like renaming some items and suck, but nothing big.

Wolf Kanno
09-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Okay, well before I answer the easy question, let me help you by knocking FFVI off it's pedestal a little bit so you can feel better about appreciating it for what it is and not what other people feel it is.

Whatever game is currently your favorite FF right now, I am 99% positive it will still be your favorite FF after you play this game, and you will most likely still tout is as the superior to this old classic. So if VI doesn't blow you away and becomes an instant favorite for you, it's okay.

VI did a lot of things for FF and the genre back in 94. You will most likely not notice it, because it's mostly things that are common place in the genre afterwards and is largely taken for granted. Even if you understand the game's historical significance, it is not quite the same as experiencing at the time, so understand the fans are kind of bias in that way and it's no fault of yours if you don't feel it was as magical as say *insert FF title you like better* when doing something similar.

This is not to say that you cannot hope to have the same experience and love for this game as other VI fans, I'm just going to say that it's highly unlikely VI is going to usurp any of your own feelings about the best games in the series that you may possess. At best you may simply enjoy the game and in all honesty, that's all I hope for anyone who plays this game for the first time.

As for your main question, yes the Anthology Version is mostly a port of the SNES version with a few of the item names corrected (Biggs instead of Vicks) but most of the game is the same, though Anthology adds a cool CGI opening and ending, and has a collector's section that gives you a bestiary, music box, and a few other fun goodies you can access.

Forsaken Lover
09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Well thank you all for your responses. They are greatly appreciated.

I do have one other, more pressing question then.

Do you think the SNES translation lessens the story? I have heard that, at least according to some, the dear beloved Kefka is quite different due to Woolsey's translation. From what I recall, someone once summarized it as SNES Kefka was fun evil and very likable in his wickedness, while GBA Kefkw was more threatening and twisted. You just hated and even feared him in that version.

The Man
09-12-2012, 05:08 AM
I've only ever played the Woolsey version and I still think Kefka is a fantastic villain. Then again I also first played the game in 2001 and was still blown away by it, so make of that what you will.

Citizen Bleys
09-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I've only ever played the Woolsey version and I still think Kefka is a fantastic villain. Then again I also first played the game in 2001 and was still blown away by it, so make of that what you will.

For one brief, shining moment, I read 2001 as 1991 and charged up meh laser to deliver a scorching mockery you'd not soon forget, but then I actually read the post and now I'm disappointed.

I need to find someone to mock.

Forsaken Lover
09-20-2012, 12:56 AM
I just got Jungle Boy's abilities explained to me by an Imp while cooky music played.

Also I wonder if those poor souls in the train cars we detached will reach the afterlife.

This game is supposed to be more grim than FFX?

But seriously, it's been...interesting so far. I'm not feeling Terra at all and the game did nothing for me in the first hour. Apart from the intro with Biggs, Wedge and Terra marching and that was only memorable because Terra's Theme is definitely worth all the praise I've heard for it. Amazing song.

But things are looking up. Cyan is pretty awesome. The poisoning of his castle was well-done and made Kefka look like the evil douche he is. Then him seeing his loved ones leaving on the Ghost Train made that whole ridiculous segment worth it.

Celes looks cool too.

Shadow just randomly leaving my party was unexpected. He said he'd leave any time but I still figured it had to be story-related.

This game sure does love its little gimmicks. Moogle battles, raft rides, keep Banon alive, multiple scenarios... And maybe more to come.

Wolf Kanno
09-20-2012, 02:20 AM
I just got Jungle Boy's abilities explained to me by an Imp while cooky music played.

Love that Imp... :love:

This game is supposed to be more grim than FFX?

Well, you are still fairly early in the game. Besides that, I never found X all that grim, not compared to IX.

But seriously, it's been...interesting so far. I'm not feeling Terra at all and the game did nothing for me in the first hour. Apart from the intro with Biggs, Wedge and Terra marching and that was only memorable because Terra's Theme is definitely worth all the praise I've heard for it. Amazing song.

It's still early for Terra' story but she's honestly the first attempt of a reluctant protagonist so she's definitely rough around the edges compared to later FF titles.

But things are looking up. Cyan is pretty awesome. The poisoning of his castle was well-done and made Kefka look like the evil douche he is. Then him seeing his loved ones leaving on the Ghost Train made that whole ridiculous segment worth it.

The Ghost Train was an amusing segment but it's tie in to Cyan was what gave it a serious impact.

Celes looks cool too.

She's interesting, her moments will come later.

Shadow just randomly leaving my party was unexpected. He said he'd leave any time but I still figured it had to be story-related.

Yes, and he will keep doing that.

This game sure does love its little gimmicks. Moogle battles, raft rides, keep Banon alive, multiple scenarios... And maybe more to come.

Yes, this is pretty much the unique game experience that VI has over the rest of the series. There is certainly more to come.

Quindiana Jones
09-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I recently started playing VI during the CK Competition (thanks Bleys!). It really is a spectacular game, and I fully appreciate the love people have for it. As WK said was likely, it hasn't topped IX for me.

Cyan's train scene was brilliant. :(

Jiro
09-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Phantom Forest is one of the most hauntingly beautiful things in the game, but it's not the only one.

Forsaken Lover
09-22-2012, 01:44 AM
It's still early for Terra' story but she's honestly the first attempt of a reluctant protagonist so she's definitely rough around the edges compared to later FF titles.

I just got her backstory. I guess it was okay but nothing too special or heartrending.
This Emperor dude is kind of a dick. I suppose no one mourned him when Kefka kicked him off whatever he kicked him off of.

Oh and that reminds me, I didn't comment on General Leo way back when we got Cyan. Guy seems wholly out of touch with the reality he serves evil people with absolutely no scruples.

Anyway, I just got done with the Magitek Factory.

1. The famed Opera Sequence was marred by it being slightly playable and the fact I had o idea there was a time limit. Kinda ruined the mood.

Even still, that song is truly gorgeous and I can see why they used part of it for Aeris' Theme.

2. I had no idea Cyan's Sword Techs worked while he was in the back row. Ultros utterly destroyed him at first. I spent like 4 Phoenix Downs on Cyan. Then for some reason when we actually started to attack Ultros he was easy as pie. I don't get it.

3. Actually, that is a common theme in this game. Enemies are weak as tinfoil but then they bust out some move that kills everyone. I know I ran into some random enemy who i swear did like a 1000 damage with one move. It happened once and only once and I defeated several of them. I think it was Iron Fist or something.

4. The Espers seem kinda interesting. Right now they're doing a good job on the emotional level and making me hate the Empire.

5. I am not happy with my Celes going away. It was a stupid scene with everyone distrusting her all of a sudden. A very sloppy excuse to rob me of one of my party members.

6. And now I have Setzer instead. That is not a fair exchange. I don't like luck or chance.
In terms of character though, I can appreciate a man who abducts women in style.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Oh and that reminds me, I didn't comment on General Leo way back when we got Cyan. Guy seems wholly out of touch with the reality he serves evil people with absolutely no scruples.

Honestly, a later scene with Leo gives me the impression that the Gestahl purposely keeps Leo in the dark about some of the more underhanded parts of the Empire's war. Notice how whenever something truly horrible happens by the empire's hands, it usually involves Kefka who technically holds no real military position.

1. The famed Opera Sequence was marred by it being slightly playable and the fact I had o idea there was a time limit. Kinda ruined the mood.

Even still, that song is truly gorgeous and I can see why they used part of it for Aeris' Theme.

Honestly, it's the fact it is interactive that makes me love the opera scene. I don't think it would be as powerful of a scene if it was simply a cutscene. It's actually the main thing I fear about a remake simply gutting the interactive element and making it a cgi cutscene.

2. I had no idea Cyan's Sword Techs worked while he was in the back row. Ultros utterly destroyed him at first. I spent like 4 Phoenix Downs on Cyan. Then for some reason when we actually started to attack Ultros he was easy as pie. I don't get it.

Most of the character skills work in the backrow, including Tools and Blitz.

4. The Espers seem kinda interesting. Right now they're doing a good job on the emotional level and making me hate the Empire.

They are an interesting concept alright. I wish they were fleshed out more in some ways but I feel the game does a decent job for it's time period.

5. I am not happy with my Celes going away. It was a stupid scene with everyone distrusting her all of a sudden. A very sloppy excuse to rob me of one of my party members.

Well she did use to be a high ranking Imperial General, and Cyan pretty much showed in Narshe that he didn't really trust her anyway. So I don't feel it's a stretch to believe the party could be tricked into thinking she was a spy.

6. And now I have Setzer instead. That is not a fair exchange. I don't like luck or chance.
In terms of character though, I can appreciate a man who abducts women in style.

He's actually a pretty mean guy, Slots is pretty nice about making sure you mainly get good skills so it's not like the Lady Luck class or Cait Sith Limit Break in terms of low odds. There is also a way to actually bork the slots so you always get the result you want, but it requires a bit of practice and skill to pull off efficiently.

Very late in the game (like Final Dungeon), Setzer gets one of the games more broken weapons, the Fixed Dice.

Roogle
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I just got her backstory. I guess it was okay but nothing too special or heartrending.
This Emperor dude is kind of a dick. I suppose no one mourned him when Kefka kicked him off whatever he kicked him off of.

The Emperor was a little too ambitious and ruthless for me. It was really hard for me to tell where he was coming from. It seemed like he wanted to rule the world for no reason when the Floating Continent. Also, I thought he was a dog. Literally. Like, an anthropomorphic wolf man like Lone Wolf. I thought he was the last of his kind or something!

Forsaken Lover
09-24-2012, 01:58 AM
He's actually a pretty mean guy, Slots is pretty nice about making sure you mainly get good skills so it's not like the Lady Luck class or Cait Sith Limit Break in terms of low odds. There is also a way to actually bork the slots so you always get the result you want, but it requires a bit of practice and skill to pull off efficiently.

Very late in the game (like Final Dungeon), Setzer gets one of the games more broken weapons, the Fixed Dice.

Is it true you can get a Game Over if you do the Slots wrong?

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2012, 04:49 AM
Yes, there is one slot combination that kills your whole party but it's actually very rare; though I do remember another member of this forum accidentally discovering this the hard way on their first play through, though I've never personally seen either version of the Joker's Doom slot.

If you are worried about it, later in the game, Setzer gains a relic that transforms the Slot skill into Gil Toss and about that time in the game, money really doesn't mean much to you anymore so it's not a bad trade off.

Greatermaximus
09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
It can't be all things to all people. I haven't had time to play the modified versions of the game though except the first one. In the SNES anyone can equip the merit award I believe. I hated not giving Gau heavy armor.