PDA

View Full Version : FF7 and 9/11

VeloZer0
09-12-2012, 04:41 PM
We all know that SE has been giving fans the runaround on a FF7 remake for a while now. It seems like they always are coming out with some sort of BS reason why to not. (For the record I don't think they should, but that is beside the point.)

It has been brought up before, but a possible large and un-commentable on reason why they will never remake it is the much larger negative stigma that has been attached to terrorism in the wake of 9/11. Do you guys think this is a major real reason holding it back? Do you think it is valid?

Slothy
09-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I think it's possible that that's one reason they've never gone there. FFVII does have some far more blatant acts of terrorism than other FF titles tend to.

But do I think it's a valid reason not to do it? Not really. It's been 11 years already. We need to move on from the idea that displaying acts of terrorism, even when it's the heroes doing it, in artistic works is a no no because 9/11. It stifles perfectly legitimate social and political commentary and allegory and I'll have no part of it. :colbert:

But then, I've never believed that "because it will offend someone" is a valid reason to not do something if you think that thing has merit.

Jinx
09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Seeing the Japan has nothing to do with America (in this context) and was no part of 9/11, no.

I think it's time for people to move on from 9/11. And like Vivi said, I think it's stupid that they wouldn't remake it because it might POSSIBLY offend someone even though there's absolutely no connection between the two.

I've never heard this before, though. Where did you?

Slothy
09-12-2012, 05:40 PM
It was mentioned in a 1UP article on the possibility of a remake in another thread. Can't remember which one right now (and it might have been Velo who linked it actually, I'm not 100% sure). And though the Japanese obviously had nothing to do with 9/11, terrorism is still a touchy subject in the US, and Id imagine there's a certain weariness to go there given the cultural differences. They may be a bit unsure how such topics being treated in a somewhat heroic light would be received over here just because they aren't American. I imagine it would be a bit like me considering making a game about the holocaust but not really being sure how Israel would react.

Terrible example, but it's all I got.

VeloZer0
09-12-2012, 08:03 PM
In a case like this you don't typically worry about the content offending some people so they don't buy it, you worry about some zealots taking up arms against your company as a whole. The idea is that this could have backlash against all of SE's American activities (which is a huge chunk of their revenue.)

Yes, I did get the idea from the article, but it sure wasn't me who linked it. I can't even remember the last time I linked anything.

Raistlin
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
In a case like this you don't typically worry about the content offending some people so they don't buy it, you worry about some zealots taking up arms against your company as a whole. The idea is that this could have backlash against all of SE's American activities (which is a huge chunk of their revenue.)

I just don't think that's a realistic fear. At least, not realistic enough to exclusively prevent SE from making money off of an idea. There are instances of terrorism, but nothing remotely relatable to current touchy issues regarding terrorism. No religion, no culture clashes, no race issues -- just people blowing shit up. There's far worse than that in pretty much every movie that even mentions terrorism.

Shorty
09-12-2012, 10:58 PM
It's not a valid fear, but I can see it maybe having been brought up. The US is arguably one of (if not the) largest purchaser of games, collectively as a nation. Just because Japan had nothing to do with 9/11 doesn't mean that they aren't going to be sensitive about something like terrorism into account when we're going to be one of their biggest customers. Even though we should all be on our way to moving on from 9/11, I can assure you that if there was any sort of reference in a video game that at all favors terrorists relating to 9/11, waves of anger would be brought on toward whoever created that game.

The two shouldn't be related, though, and should be no excuse at all to hold off on an FF7 remake.

Jiro
09-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Would never have made the connection myself, honestly.

ReloadPsi
09-13-2012, 03:21 AM
See I remember reading an article stating that things like the quirky minigames were among things that would prevent a remake because they would just be weird and out of place now. Shame really; FF7's simple but genuinely enjoyable minigames were what set it apart from the other games.

The idea of a terrorism subplot in the first two hours of the game is a ridiculous reason not to remake it though; you're clearly shown to be rather antagonistic and Barret does get called out on the decision later on in the game... he slumps, makes a lame excuse and gets verbally owned by Cait Sith of all people.

silentenigma
09-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Mideel earthquake scene. too soon, too soon.

MJN SEIFER
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I doubt it, as the game seems to be anti-terrorism.

If the game got remade, the only things that I think should change is update the graphics a little (even though I still think the FFVII graphics are phenomenal, except for their hands), and correct the fact that monster names, and item names (like Seiferalmasy2 attempted), also errors like "This guy are sick" would have to go, however much I like them.

I would hate for the remake to be voice acted, but for those that like the voices, give us an option to turn it off, and change it to text boxes, that we can control. Do not expect to just turn the sound down, because then I can't hear the awesome music. A FFVII version of the "trigger" from FFVIII, and other ways to do more in the battle would be good to (Tifa was originally going to be able to do what Sabin did before her, and Zell did after with fighting game style comands, maybe they could try that again?)