PDA

View Full Version : Weird things that help you sleep

Iceglow
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I was inspired by Pike's thread of how often we listen to music because it reminded me of how I used to do something people often consider pretty odd which was:

I used to sleep all night with the radio on.

I'd have Xfm or 95.8 CapitalFM on like 24/7 growing up. I would literally go to sleep and wake up to music. It was pleasing for me I'd have an alarm what bleeped and beeped at me but my music would often have me awake long before then which meant as a kid I was never late for school. Considering my recent insomnia trouble and lateness issues I had in my previous job I might give it another go just put something on my laptop quietly and turn the screen off on it overnight, see if it helps me of course it might not so maybe I'll try it Saturday when I've not got work.

Currently I've taken to often sleeping with one of my lamps on. Not because I'm like scared of the dark or anything but because I often sleep with my laptop/book/phone on the bed with me and having a light on means when I wake up in the middle of the night it's not pitch black and I can immediately look to my laptop screen or phone for the time check that comes before either getting up or trying to go back to sleep. It's quite nice and I do find it comforting too to a degree. There's these reasons but mostly I suppose because some nights I feel too fucking lazy to just get my arse out of bed to go 10ft to turn it the hell off. That's way too far.

So what weird habits do you have or had that help/helped you sleep better in life?

Jinx
09-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Masturbation.

Alpha2099
09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Masturbation.
This. Also in my high school days I would put a CD on to help me sleep.

Hollycat
09-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Violins and imagining killing all humans except that one really sexy one.

Night Fury
09-12-2012, 09:12 PM
I listen to my iPod, some podcasts or sometimes some relaxing, meditation style music. I always find I have really peaceful dreams if I listen to nice music.

NeoCracker
09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
I just stare at one of Tifa's Boobs pictures for a while, and before I know it I'm out like a light. :monster:

Jinx
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I just stare at one of Tifa's Boobs pictures for a while, and before I know it I'm out like a light. :monster:

At first I was like, "Aww! :DDDD"

Then I was like, "Is he calling me boring? DDDD:"

Jowy
09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
crank up the AC or oscillating fan for some white noise, shut the lights off, pop on some music snob post rock and just zone out in twenty minutes

Shorty
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I put on The Office and turn the volume down real low as it cycles through episodes. Slept this way for years.

Sephex
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
I have to power down by browsing the net and having the TV on as background noise. Most people would leave the TV on, but I end up shutting it off when I am finally ready for sleep.

Faris
09-12-2012, 11:00 PM
I put on The Office and turn the volume down real low as it cycles through episodes. Slept this way for years.

This and I dim the screen a lot. It gives me something to instantly start watching if I have a nightmare.

Christmas
09-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Bedtime stories. I always tell that to my hamster and he will fall asleep. :bigsmile:

If not then I will have to use the hammer treatment. :bigsmile:

Pike
09-13-2012, 01:41 AM
I started wearing earplugs back when I had a super noisy guinea pig in my room. I no longer do but I find I sleep better with the earplugs, so yes.

inb4 Hux shows up and makes fun of me for putting a pillow over my head :doublecolbert:

NeoCracker
09-13-2012, 01:47 AM

At first I was like, "Aww! :DDDD"

Then I was like, "Is he calling me boring? DDDD:"

And you may never know the answer.

~*~Celes~*~
09-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Sex, a massage, and classical music. :D I'm spoiled.

ReloadPsi
09-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Masturbation.

Same here.

I do have mild tinnitus as well, and if it gets worse I'll probably have to start sleeping with the fan on. Completely bearable at the moment though and I stopped having my earphones so loud once I noticed it.

Hollycat
09-13-2012, 03:55 AM
I don't want to hear this.

krissy
09-13-2012, 04:06 AM
white noise or drone ambient music
honestly i don't really have trouble sleeping though sorry everyone

Mercen-X
09-14-2012, 03:38 AM
In 5th grade, I left the radio on at night. Every night Donna Lewis came on the only station my radio received where we lived up near a lake. Every night the same song put me to sleep. I Love You Always Forever. Every night I fantasized that one day I would admit to my cousin my feelings for her. One day I did, but that's another story...

Obviously, music has long since stopped working. These days, I leave the window open so I can see the moon because it shines right into my room. I also have a fan on to make sure I don't overheat (it's summer). As for winter, I sleep with my blanket beside me because I don't usually need the warmth. Funny, I wake up with it covering me. And when I sleep on my side, I wake on my back.

The sound of a pindrop can wake me from my slumber, but the world crashing down around me has no such effect. WTF?

Tigmafuzz
09-14-2012, 03:49 AM
A bed.

ReloadPsi
09-14-2012, 04:13 AM
A bed.

That's weird? I'd be very interested in seeing where you normally sleep ;)

fire_of_avalon
09-14-2012, 04:21 AM
I have very occasional episodes of sleeplessness that nothing will touch, no trick and no method of falling asleep.

But under normal circumstances when I'm just trying to pass the time I tell myself a story. Not an established fairy tale or anything and I don't talk to myself but I just kind of make something up as I go along. I try to focus on one scene at a time and add more and more detail until it's complete and then I drift off.

Tigmafuzz
09-14-2012, 04:31 AM
A bed.

The first time I slept on a bed, I thought it was weird as shit. Considering I had been sleeping in alleyways and such for as long as I could remember :p

Mercen-X
09-14-2012, 05:11 AM
A bed.

I find it surprisingly easy to sleep on a couch or on the floor or on two chairs squished together or in the backseat of a car (sitting up) or on a table... all while not even drunk or particularly sleepy.

Christmas
09-14-2012, 05:14 AM
A bed.

The first time I slept on a bed, I thought it was weird as trout. Considering I had been sleeping in alleyways and such for as long as I could remember :p

YOU CAN SLEEP ON MY LAP AND I WILL SING DEMONIC LULLABIES TO YOU!! :bigsmile:

Tigmafuzz
09-14-2012, 05:16 AM
A bed.

The first time I slept on a bed, I thought it was weird as trout. Considering I had been sleeping in alleyways and such for as long as I could remember :p

YOU CAN SLEEP ON MY LAP AND I WILL SING DEMONIC LULLABIES TO YOU!! :bigsmile:

I WOULD BUT YOUR LAP IS TOO HEAVENLY AND I WOULD NEVER LEAVE AND THEN I WOULD LOSE MY JOB AND ALL MY FRIENDS :bigsmile:

Jiro
09-14-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't really think anything I do to try and sleep is necessarily weird or out of the norm for those trying to sleep.

Jinx
09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
I have very occasional episodes of sleeplessness that nothing will touch, no trick and no method of falling asleep.

But under normal circumstances when I'm just trying to pass the time I tell myself a story. Not an established fairy tale or anything and I don't talk to myself but I just kind of make something up as I go along. I try to focus on one scene at a time and add more and more detail until it's complete and then I drift off.

Dude, I do this too.

A bed.

I find it surprisingly easy to sleep on a couch or on the floor or on two chairs squished together or in the backseat of a car (sitting up) or on a table... all while not even drunk or particularly sleepy.

I'm good at this as well. My car is just another bedroom to me, really. I can sleep sitting up in hard chairs, on the ground, in a chair with my head on the desk...yup.

Parker
09-16-2012, 03:52 PM
My ex used to kinda rotate her foot in circles until she fell asleep.

She was weird but I tried it the other night and it felt pretty good!

Mercen-X
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
When in bed, I take a mental walk. A few nights ago, I wandered through a cornfield at dusk. When you don't know where you're going, it's easier for instinct rather than intellect to take over and thus you more quickly enter a dream state. Granted this sometimes only works for a couple of minutes as the subtlest things can stir me. But I simply try again.

When nothing else works, I take a bendryl.

Shiny
09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Whispering audio helps me fall asleep. I listen to this dude called whisperingvoice and I'm out like a light.

Laddy
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
A handful of CD's. Or I'll name every Survivor contestant ever in order of when they were voted off.

TrollHunter
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Ambient music, white noise, and having 1 pillow covering my head.
There are so many people/dogs living in my house now all the calming noise is essential for my beauty sleep.

Iceglow
09-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Every night I fantasized that one day I would admit to my cousin my feelings for her. One day I did, but that's another story...

I'm sorry but what the fuck? You had feelings for your cousin?

Jiro
09-17-2012, 02:17 AM
You make it out to be weird but it's not that odd, honestly. Get off his back.

Mercen-X
09-17-2012, 04:10 AM
:radred::radred::radred::radred::radred:
:radred::D:radred::radred::D:radred:
:radred::radred::radred::redface::radred::radred::radred:
:radred::tongue::radred::radred::radred::radred::tongue::radred:
:radred::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::radred:
:radred::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::radred:
:radred::radred::radred::radred::radred:

krissy
09-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Whispering audio helps me fall asleep. I listen to this dude called whisperingvoice and I'm out like a light.

this is really creepy

have you felt the strange urge to donate to a specific bank account number recently?

Jinx
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Every night I fantasized that one day I would admit to my cousin my feelings for her. One day I did, but that's another story...

Can't tell if this is a real post, or just he plot to Arrested Development.

krissy
09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/April-15-2012-17-39-51-Screenshot20120415at2.09.47PM.png

Christmas
09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/April-15-2012-17-39-51-Screenshot20120415at2.09.47PM.png

God, I really kinda fall asleep after looking at that!!! :bigsmile:

KentaRawr!
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
I like to sleep with my head under my body pillow. I sleep so fast if I do that. I'm not really sure why!