PDA

View Full Version : Is there an objectively "Worst" FF?

Wolf Kanno
09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Since the other thread is going that way...

Christmas
09-13-2012, 09:30 AM
FF Mystic Quest? I hardly catch the objective. :(

PS: We are talking on objectives right? :bigsmile:

Jiro
09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
No, I don't think so.

Hollycat
09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd like to motion that FF XIII be named the worst FF game ever released on a console.

Night Fury
09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
For me, FFXII or FFXIII. Not because they're bad games, but because I don't feel the represent the series.

Oh, and X-2. Just because it's lame.

Jinx
09-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd say FFVIII, but I'm not sure I'm being objective!

VeloZer0
09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Worst game is a little more complicated, but worst Final Fantasy is without a doubt Spirits Within. Not only was it very poorly received it destroyed Squaresoft and lead to a complete change to how it's successor does business.

Slothy
09-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I didn't think we'd actually get an answer that could be called objective, but I'll be damned if Velo hasn't come as close as I can imagine us coming. I'd imagine in a list of worst entries, the one which almost destroyed the entire company has to rank fairly high for pretty much anyone, regardless of if you liked it or not.

I'll still go with FFXIII as far as a game answer though.

Raistlin
09-13-2012, 05:36 PM
It depends on the factors you use to quantify "worst." E.g., FFXIII has by far the worst story, as it is entirely contained within a few 5-minute conversations with the villain.

Flying Arrow
09-13-2012, 10:36 PM
XIII, overall, I feel is a fairly weak experience. As a "game" it holds together though, at least battle-wise. On the other hand, the long hallway design of it is kind of pointless since the player really only ever has to worry about dodging enemies. So much more could have been done with it.

II, I feel, is objectively bad. The entire "game" part of it is so easily exploited in the stupidest way imaginable. Sure, VI and VII (all the games, really) are exploitable and easy but none of them feel as senseless as FFII's design.

On the other hand, VIII is also kind of a mess. I haven't played it in years so I can't really make a judgment on it but from what I remember it's so poorly balanced that you can leave the first island with 3000HP on Squall if you know what you're doing. I think a good game balances its systems so that a clever player will eventually start experimenting and figure out exploits as they come to him. FFVIII doesn't have this, and basically leaves everything out in the open right from the get-go, making the game hilariously easy.

ReloadPsi
09-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Either 2 or 8 for being so thoroughly broken and having crap plots. I am convinced their testers sat around rattling their lips with their fingers and didn't actually play them.

And this is coming from someone who likes them both as well. Just this evening I was telling my friend who is currently playing 8 why it sucks, and yet we both still conceded we liked it.

Zombie
09-14-2012, 02:48 AM
There are no bad games, just different players.

maybee
09-14-2012, 04:12 AM
For me personally it's Final Fantasy XII. It just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game at all, it doesn't just have the exictement or engery that all of the other games have and the characters and story just feel so bland.

But one person's trash is other person's treasure.

ReloadPsi
09-14-2012, 05:03 AM
At the end of the day I can see this thread being just 2, 8, 12 and 13 over and over for the same few reasons each :P

I'd diss 12 for not feeling like an FF game but then by that measure neither did 7 if you think about it. And I'd diss 13 for being nothing but endless padding and a battle system that holds your hand constantly but then 2 is bashed for a complete lack of hand-holding, and almost similarly 8 gets it in the neck for a system that is a bit complex at first with some tutorials that aren't much help only for it to suddenly break itself once you play with it a bit.

Mercen-X
09-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Final Fantasy Adventure or Mystic Quest. I've played neither and I never will. Final Fantasy XI and XIV. I've played neither and I never will. Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. I felt a complete lack of control throughout the whole thing. Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Dashed... hopes.

Jinx
09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't really think you can count movies.

Also, Mercen-X, you really can't say something is the worst if you've never tried it. That's idiotic.

Mercen-X
09-14-2012, 04:57 PM
The thread title says "Worst FF", not "Worst FF game". Also, it's not idiotic. It's practical.

ReloadPsi
09-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Dashed... hopes.

You spelled it wrong. It's "bait and switch."

Laddy
09-15-2012, 01:45 AM
FFXII was excellent! To me, it was a step in the right direction. As for worst? Probably II, VIII, or XIII.

maybee
09-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Also, Mercen-X, you really can't say something is the worst if you've never tried it. That's idiotic.

This

You can't really judge something unless you've given it a good go and a good try. Sorta like food but you can't eat it...

Bolivar
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I also co-sign VeloZer0 because The Spirits Within is the reason why this series and this company is no longer what it once was.

From one perspective I would say FFI because that was the starting point. It all grew from there.

Jessweeee♪
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
To answer the question in the title, no.

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM

This

You can't really judge something unless you've given it a good go and a good try. Sorta like food but you can't eat it...

I don't need to jam a nail through my hand to know it hurts like a bastard. Similarly, FFXIII sucks.

VeloZer0
09-17-2012, 03:51 PM
It is perfectly reasonable to assume that you won't like something and not try it, but that doesn't mean you can claim to be able to evaluate in relation to other things you have tried.

Jinx
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
It is perfectly reasonable to assume that you won't like something and not try it, but that doesn't mean you can claim to be able to evaluate in relation to other things you have tried.

This.