PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeves your best friends break

KentaRawr!
09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
At first I was considering making this thread about sexism, but I really am not fit to engage in a full discussion on that subject, as many people here probably already know. Hopefully from my studies I'll gain a more comprehensive understanding of sexism and how it is expressed in the cultures I can most identify with!

From that and the thread title, you can probably assume that one of my pet peeves is sexism. I'm not strictly referring to sexism against women; I'm simply annoyed by any stereotyping or discrimination related to gender. I feel like relating personality traits to an ascribed status is not only intellectually limiting, but that it makes current and future youth more likely to mold themselves according to the personality traits assigned to their ascribed status. For some reason, I am most annoyed by this when it applies to sex and gender. I'm not entirely sure why I'm so annoyed by sexism more than any other -ism, when my rational reason for disliking it can be related to any assumption of character. It just bugs me! rpgienrgoergf.

What is awful is that many of my best friends are blatantly sexist, and then attribute their sexist beliefs to personal "experience," as if that can be used to justify a generalization over an entire gender. When I say "Oh hey, that's totally sexist, yo," the most common response is to say "You just haven't seen the things I have yet." What bugs me about that kind of response is the use of the word "yet," because it presumes that whatever they have experienced is inevitable for every person, and that once someone has reached their "level," they're bound to agree with what they say. Beyond that, what's annoying is the use of personal experience to generalize an enormous amount of people. I can't very well say "Oh, well what you think is objectively and demonstrably wrong" without stepping on toes either, because they're my friends, and I'd be demeaning their personal experiences by doing that.

You know what's even worse than all that though? Some of my best, closest friends chew with their mouths open. What the HELL is wrong with my friends?

Anyway, I don't really want this to turn into an EoEO-esque thread, despite the few paragraphs dedicated to a serious subject. What are some of your pet peeves? Do your friends know that they're annoying the crud out of you when they do them? Share!

SHAAARE!!111one

Jinx
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
One of my best friends is a sexist, chauvinist ass. He has a lot of good qualities aside from that. But sometimes he says things and I'm like, "What? Really?" I call him out on it, though.

Alpha2099
09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Being generally annoying doesn't count, does it?

Well, in any event, some of my friends -- actually, a lot of them -- have a tendency to get way too loud when they're having fun. I'm all for having a good time, but sometimes you gotta keep it to a dull roar.

Night Fury
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM
There is someone in my class who is a complete trout when it comes to being a sexist.. trout.

He will call girls sluts, wenches etc and I HATE that, because although it is mostly meant in a light hearted way, it just makes it socially acceptable to do it. I, personally, cannot stand being referred to as a 'wench' or a 'slut' or anything else along those lines, because;

1. I am nobody's wench
2. I am not a slut
3. It's just offensive

If some girls want to play with the joke, fine, let them play with the joke. However I will not, it's not funny to me. I have a name, call me that instead of an offensive title.

- which brings me to my pet peeve; I hate when people just can't accept that I don't do certain things, or I do some things. I don't question what anyone else does, or ridicule them for it. I let them do as they please, so I should get the same respect.

Example. I do not take any kind of drugs, I never will for reasons I will keep to myself. When I tell people this, they like to act as though it makes me boring. Whereas I don't comment on a persons choice to freely do it.

Smurf off, and let me be sober.