PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Game Show Final Fantasy XIV Trailer

Raistlin
09-20-2012, 05:02 AM
The Tokyo Game Show has begun, and a new trailer has been released for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Check it out!

PSMZVJGoBws

It’s not all gameplay footage like the last awesome trailer (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/1935-final-fantasy-xiv-info-pax-limit-breaks-more.html), and doesn’t show a whole lot that's really new, which is kind of disappointing. But you can definitely see the massive new environments, the very fast-paced battle system, and, most importantly, chocobos!

For those of you eagerly awaiting information on the PS3 release: while we were originally promised (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/1932-letter-producer-xxxv-going-alpha.html) more details during the TSG, it looks like that announcement will not be made until October. We’ll have more details as they become available.

Freya
09-20-2012, 07:22 PM
CHOCOBOS!

nirojan
09-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Does anyone else think the graphics took a dip? I still have screenshots from when I was playing FFXIV, and I remember character models (and Chocobo models), textures, etc. looking alot better. This looks extremely "down-rezz'd". They said they were rebuilding the graphics engine...I had interpreted that to mean they were making it better and doing things with lighting, draw distance, battle lag,etc.

Maybe they're showing this at medium or low settings, but that seems really odd to do for a trailer. Maybe this is the PS3 version running? I dunno...still confused :P

Raistlin
09-20-2012, 11:06 PM
nirojan: If anything, I think it's more that this was just a hastily put-together trailer that may be lower quality as compared to previous ones, instead of an actual dip in graphics quality for ARR.

Loony BoB
09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
This trailer was made pre-alpha, and the alpha graphics are not even finished, so yeah, the graphics aren't as good as they are currently. Well, I'm talking character models, anyway. The scenery isn't worse than what there is already (shadows are very nice by comparison) and I haven't taken a good enough look at the NPC's.

Yoshi and his crew haven't wanted to release any of the videos they have so far but have felt pressured to do so by the community (and perhaps superiors, not sure) who were crying left right and center on the back of every released non-gameplay video earlier in the year. The bonus of releasing this video is that now the community are much more interested in giving the developers time to get things ready instead of putting too much pressure for a quick release.

Raistlin
09-21-2012, 10:19 PM
BoB makes a good point. Yoshida has mentioned that ARR involves an entire overhaul of the graphics, so I imagine they will be much improved between now and the release.

Raistlin
09-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Apparently the trailer quality was so widely criticized that Yoshi announced on the forums (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/14967-Translations-%28JP-to-English%29?p=836560&viewfull=1#post836560) that the material in the trailer is older, that the frame rate was wonky due to uploading issues, and that the graphics generally are still being worked on. So about what we expected. This far from release, I think it's safe to conclude that ARR itself will be much more polished.

Goldenboko
09-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Probably was a bad idea to release an old trailer, but it was a lose-lose situation if they didn't have anything truly new to report.

nirojan
09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Probably was a bad idea to release an old trailer, but it was a lose-lose situation if they didn't have anything truly new to report.

You mean like FFvXIII? Well technically we haven't seen a new trailer for over a year now :P

In all seriousness though, bad decision to show this particular trailer for FFXIV. They could have just continued to pump out screenshots (ie. what they were doing for the past 3 months) which was getting pretty good coverage on most mainstream gaming sites.

Goldenboko
09-29-2012, 02:24 AM
FFvXIII isn't a released MMO. Very different situations.

nirojan
09-29-2012, 04:05 AM

Yeah that was kind of a joke, but point taken :)

Loony BoB
09-29-2012, 01:06 PM
A Realm Reborn isn't a released MMO either. Not all that different situations, given it's a completely rebuilt game. It's about as much the same game as FFXIV in it's current state as Mass Effect 2/3 are to Mass Effect 1. Same setting, sure, and you can pull over your data, but that's about it.

nirojan
09-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Hey good news Loony Bob (and other miscellaneous FFXIV players). Just bought a new gaming pc! Most of it is off the shelf parts (I kinda had to budget it), but I feel really good about givin' her the old test run. FFXIV Realm Reborn is definitely in my top 10 list to play once I put it all together.

Some specs:
- 3rd gen i7
- 12 GB ram
- Nvidia GTX 650 2GB
- some other cool stuff

Loony BoB
09-30-2012, 10:56 AM
12GB RAM! Blimey.