PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Woes

Shiny
09-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Things I learned from Facebook

-When I don't actually have anything interesting to something witty or funny, simply liking it will do.
-When I do actually have something interesting to say, don't say it because you don't actually talk to that person.
-Customization is the best thing ever. Use it wisely, and don't be dumb and have mutual friends that will also see that and blow your cover.
-Facebook works better than LinkedIn at networking, but could also be your worse nightmare if your co-workers see that you're actually a weirdo.

What have you learned from Facebook or the internets?

Rantz
09-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Not to click links with suspicious names like "jar squatter" or "cake farts".

Psychotic
09-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Not to click links with suspicious names like "jar squatter" or "cake farts".True pros link those kinds of things under the guise of "OMG LOL CHECK OUT THIS CUTE FUNNY KITTEN VIDEO! LMAOOOO AWWW!!!!" anyway. :cool:

My mother is not very impressed when I do this, for some reason.

Tigmafuzz
09-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Once I was sitting in a little coffee place at the mall while my girlfriend at the time was trying on clothes. I heard a conversation from the people behind me that made me want to turn around and rip their heads off to increase the collective IQ of humanity by several points. One of the ridiculously stupid topics they shared their ridiculously stupid opinions with each other on was facebook. I thought, "Note to self: never get a 'facebook,' whatever that is."

Although one thing I've learned from the internet in general by observing others' reactions to things is that I'm probably far more desensitized by life than I should be. I saw things far worse than "2 girls one cup" and the occasional dead baby in a box before I even knew what the internet was.

Denmark
09-23-2012, 12:23 PM
I use Facebook entirely to see what other people are doing and never to say a thing about myself. It's great.

Also yeah I've been desensitized to internet things since I was like 15

Formalhaut
09-23-2012, 01:08 PM
That everyone has an apparently more wholesome and full life than I've had. :(

Unbreakable Will
09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Facebook causes far more issues than what it's worth, I refuse to check it any longer.
OH GAWD SOMEONE LIKED MY STATUS I'LL NEVER LEAVE YOU FB!

No but seriously, it just causes problems.

Raistlin
09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
I haven't posted much on Facebook lately, though I do read and post on other people's statuses. I guess I've learned that even if you don't have anything of your own to say, you can always just go laugh at other people.

Peegee
09-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I learn more from facebook and youtube (combined) than I ever did in school.

it's a great resource.

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Usually when people say "I don't like facebook because of people" I hear "I don't like people." Which is fine I guess, but it's kind of weird how we blame the website.

rubah
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
it just enables those people to be on the internet which had heretoward been our safe haven

Formalhaut
09-24-2012, 01:14 AM
I haven't posted much on Facebook lately, though I do read and post on other people's statuses. I guess I've learned that even if you don't have anything of your own to say, you can always just go laugh at other people.

Ditto. I can't be bothered writing statuses, because people won't really read or comment anyway, so why bother?

TrollHunter
09-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I've learned that everyones life sucks and half my friends speak in popular song lyrics.

Shiny
09-24-2012, 03:50 AM
It's actually been proven that the more you go on Facebook the more your own self-esteem shrinks. We're a society spoiled by schadenfreude and quite often Facebook is the opposite of that, but every now and again, I'll see someone knocked up or going to under probation.

Iceglow
09-24-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm usually logged in to facebook. It's nice to keep up with what some people are doing when I don't have time to give them a text or a call to everyone. I can just pop on scroll down and see "Hey, maybe I ought to make time to call Hicks... looks like he's having a bad time today" and see how he's feeling. There's also the clear "how much someone is talking to you/hates you" thing depending on whether they've deleted your ass or re-added you or whatever which whilst it sounds stupid can sometimes shine hope's light where it needs to go.

The Man
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
It's actually been proven that the more you go on Facebook the more your own self-esteem shrinks.Number of Users Who Actually Enjoy Facebook Down to 4 | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/number-of-users-who-actually-enjoy-facebook-down-t,29503/)

Bunny
09-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Everyday I learn something new.

For instance, today I learned what ever single god damn person on my visible wall had for breakfast.

Laddy
09-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Most of my "friends" on Facebook are idiots, as they just post passive-aggressive posts to ambiguous people and bad song lyrics.

Shlup
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Chameleons can't turn just any color they want.

Mercen-X
09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally, in college, I joined myspace. I didn't want to join any online social media thing but this chick who I was sort of seeing (she said she already had a boyfriend, so despite being intimate, she wouldn't let me call her my girlfriend), she got me to join myspace to make it easier for us to stay in contact because I didn't always answer my phone. Plus, she saw that I was not very sociable and thought the net was my best option. And no, she didn't get me to join so could stalk me. Her arrogance would never allow her to admit it, but she's really too much of an idiot to know how to stalk somebody without their knowing.

ANYway. I eventually stopped caring about myspace (after I'd gotten my next girlfriend to sign up, which btw she really didn't use it for anything 'cause she'd already had a Twitter account).

After returning from a visit to Canada, I joined Fb for my girlfriend, the third I'd met in as many semesters at the same college. This girl, I'd been with for about two years broke up with me that Christmas. I knew that blow would be coming soon based on the rollercoaster that was our relationship, though I admit it was a bit of an eyegouge of a Christmas present. :mad: She and I remain friends, which is easy because friendship was what I'd originally intended when I met her (as I'd already had a girlfriend at the same time). Becoming her boyfriend was more or less an unexpected pleasure.

Soon after I joined Facebook, that other chick, my f-buddy from college, found me on Facebook and did a Janice-take "OH, MY, GOOOOOOD!" Also, my ex and have slowly stopped talking by fb, though she occasionally drops by when she sees I'm on and says "hey".

So, what I've learned is that Facebook is better for game apps than myspace and it's pretty much the only thing it's actually useful for. Though if you have access to free trials from wildtangent or bigfish, fb becomes superfluous.

Sephex
09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Having ex girlfriends on your Facebook may provide a source of entertainment when they privately message you, angry at the fact that you are in a happy relationship with someone else. Bonus points if they have already been divorced.

Shorty
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
I use facebook to dump lyrics from whatever song I am listening to or that is playing in my head at the time. All of my facebook friends adore me and I never get complaints from doing this, ever.

TrollHunter
09-25-2012, 02:37 AM
I use facebook to dump lyrics from whatever song I am listening to or that is playing in my head at the time. All of my facebook friends adore me and I never get complaints from doing this, ever.

The silent majority wants you dead for doing that. Just an FYI.

Jiro
09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
No, Shorty has good taste in music. She doesn't post shit song lyrics.

Beowulf
09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Facebook. PFft. GOOGLE+ GUISE.

Seriously, though. Facebook didn't used to be so bad.

Now I log on and see all this religious stuff, and these posts that back in the day were sent in emails (IF YOU BREAK THIS CHAIN, YOU WILL HAVE BAD LUCK FOR A BAJILLION YEARS)

It's kind of lame, anymore. I use mine to post somewhat-important stuff.

Bubba
09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I actually went on Facebook for the first time in twelve months on Saturday. I immediately realised why I left in the first place. The main reasons being thus...

- The ridiculous amount of people that use the expression 'lol'
- Being forced to 'like' a picture of a cute kitten otherwise kittens all over the world will die of rabies or something.
- The horrific levels of spelling and grammar.

To be fair, Facebook is a great tool for keeping in touch with people all over the world. I'm just not keen on pretty much everything else it has to offer. Apologies to anyone on here that has requested me as a friend. I'm still steering well clear of it!

Cuchulainn
09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
i use bakebook to amuse myself. ive rarely cared about anyone else on it or how any of what i do may affect them unless im attempting to covertly wind them up as is my wont. its a nonsense place

Formalhaut
09-25-2012, 06:30 PM
My most irritating irk is stuff like this:

I find at least one of these every time I log on Facebook. They are only marginally amusing, even worse are the ones that are for good causes (Example instead geared for Twitter)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwKVhV2RsM-gcxK3Np8RFCPNVWx9lk3BmpcCpmAPowUSXvkymrQJlb8UO6

Look, I realize the point of all this, and so I can't be tooo critical, but is sharing, liking or commenting on a picture really going to help cure cancer/illness/famine/other unfortunate tragedy?

Bubba
09-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Look, I realize the point of all this, and so I can't be tooo critical, but is sharing, liking or commenting on a picture really going to help cure cancer/illness/famine/other unfortunate tragedy?

Absolutely. Not to be cynical, but stuff like this irritates the tit out of me. She is obviously beautiful. Everyone who is alive... and has eyes would agree. Surely donating/raising money would be more useful than clicking once to feel better about yourself.

~*~Celes~*~
09-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Facebook is my guilty pleasure. It's useful for sharing information without having to contact everyone individually and accidentally miss someone, but on the flipside, if you forgot so-and-so could see your facebook, it could lead to disaster. -_-

My main use for it is keeping in contact with family and friends so they can see how i'm doing and vice versa. For my friends who live farther away and can't visit me, they'll be able to see pictures of my wedding and my little guy after he arrives.

Formalhaut
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Absolutely. Not to be cynical, but stuff like this irritates the tit out of me. She is obviously beautiful. Everyone who is alive... and has eyes would agree. Surely donating/raising money would be more useful than clicking once to feel better about yourself.

Thank God someone agrees with me, I thought I was the only one who was irritated by this!

Shauna
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
- Being forced to 'like' a picture of a cute kitten otherwise kittens all over the world will die of rabies or something.

I see zero of this on my Facebook feed. Obv just need to get better people on your fb feed. ;P

escobert
09-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Don't become friends with girls if you have a girlfriend.
Don't become friends with guys if you have a girlfriend
Don't talk to anyone if you have a girlfriend.

Facebook has been horrible in my relationships.

Raistlin
09-25-2012, 09:13 PM

I see zero of this on my Facebook feed. Obv just need to get better people on your fb feed. ;P

I agree, I don't see much of that either. I understand fully that my FB list isn't typical, because most of my friends on there are current or former law students, and we're an odd bunch. But it sounds like most people here just need to be more discriminating.

Pike
09-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Thank God someone agrees with me, I thought I was the only one who was irritated by this!

I think a lot of people agree with this one! xD

Bubba
09-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Ha, quite true!

Unfortunately, there are some illiterate family members who would probably be quite offended if I deleted them.

Goldenboko
09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I pretty much just block everyone I see something that's posted that annoys me, and don't accept requests from people I wouldn't want to hear from that I couldn't block. Works for me.

Sephex
09-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Ha, quite true!

Unfortunately, there are some illiterate family members who would probably be quite offended if I deleted them.

Same. Most of them don't use punctuation or capitalize. But one aunt, she WRITES EVERYTHING LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME

HEY SAM HOW ARE YOU DOING HOPE EVERYTHING WELL LOVE YOU MISS YOU AUNT LEE

WOW SAM THAT MUST BE ANNOYING THANK GOD NO ONE ELSE TALKS TO YOU LIKE THAT

escobert
09-26-2012, 10:17 PM
I have a few fb friends (older women) who caps lock everything.

I hate the people who post game shit or pictures NON STOP. if you think somethign is funny, sure go ahead and post it. But, that doesn't mean you need to post EVERY picture you find amusing or EVERY music video you're watching.

I do both of these to an extent. Like if I see something I really like, I'll share it. But I'm not gonna do it and clog up everyone's news feed with that shit.

Trumpet Thief
09-26-2012, 10:24 PM
The only woe I have is the fact that I can scroll up and down Facebook for an hour straight without ever questioning why or getting bored. Scary :(

Jiro
09-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Oh god family or friends who try to have a conversation with you on an unrelated status. fucking every time. Man someone once had a conversation on a post I put on my buddy's wall. No man, that's not the place to spout your shit.

Formalhaut
09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
What's also annoying is people who write really ambiguous messages, such as real life examples from my FB News Feed:

"My head feels like its gonna f***ing blow"

"Life is full of disappointments - fact!"

"i not that i can not live with hope alone, but without it life is not worth living XD"

"You're f***ing ridiculous, can't stand what you've become."

"Wish i never had certain people that are in my family they are all a waste of space :@ wish they would leave me alone"

Freya
09-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Mine isn't too bad and those who are bad I get to laugh at behind their backs for being idiots so it's all good. I get some type of amusement out of it.

Shiny
09-27-2012, 11:01 PM

xD insecure gf's.

The worse thing I used to get was people sending me requests for games (like Farmville), but figured out how to block that so all good. Though there are a few people who are extremely Christian or anti-Obama in my feed.

escobert
09-28-2012, 12:07 AM

xD insecure gf's.

If only it was possible for me to date a normal person.