PDA

View Full Version : I Need Reassurance

Chris
09-23-2012, 01:12 PM
FFIV was always one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games, and I never bothered to finish it completely. But, I picked up the gorgeous DS version and I am just making way through the Tower of Zot... I am getting murdered by Flamehounds and its ice counterparts. All of my characters are above level 30, but I'm just barely surviving the Tower.

Please tell me that these Flamehounds are supposed to be this brutal, and that it's not me who suck at this game.

VeloZer0
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM
No, those Flamehounds are supposed to be very difficult. As you make your way through the tower you do get some gear that is specifically strong against them which alleviates it a little bit but you never get to waltz through them.

Roogle
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
If I recall correctly, you can use certain status effects to deal with them before you find that armor. If only I could remember what status effects work on them. Was it Sleep, maybe?

Chris
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I tried all of the spells, and I seem to recall that Beserk helped making the battles easier. I'm not entirely sure it was Beserk, though. I kinda just threw all of the spells their way.

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2012, 04:53 AM
They are only immune to transformation magic like Toad, Mini, and Pig. All the other status ailments can wok on them though the odds may not be in your favor. Honestly, I would just run from them. This is still old school FF and no one is going to think less of you from running away when the game cheeses you with a party of those bastards.

VeloZer0
09-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Back in the days when running was part of the games strategy, not just a way to save time.

Roogle
09-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I tried all of the spells, and I seem to recall that Beserk helped making the battles easier. I'm not entirely sure it was Beserk, though. I kinda just threw all of the spells their way.

Berserk will stop them from using that enemy skill that deals damage based on their current HP. I would try casting Stop if there is only one of them and Sleep if there are multiple enemies with skills like that.

Chris
09-25-2012, 07:10 AM
After some level grinding, the Tower was almost a breeze. You'd think that after all this time, I would have figured out the fact that level grinding is an important part of RPG gaming in general. Just a couple of levels can really make a difference. I can be so clueless.

:colbert:

Sephex
09-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Not only that, but the DS version is tougher than most versions.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-09-2012, 07:20 PM
I am just making way through the Tower of Zot... I am getting murdered by Flamehounds and its ice counterparts. All of my characters are above level 30, but I'm just barely surviving the Tower.

Please tell me that these Flamehounds are supposed to be this brutal, and that it's not me who suck at this game.

I remember having this same problem on my first playthrough of Final Fantasy 4. Although, it might not have necessarily been the Tower of Zot. I just remember being stuck in the middle of a dungeon somewhere. I had no potions left, and I got killed the next time I entered a battle. No matter how many times I tried to run from all the battles or reset the game, I would always die before I could make it anywhere at all. I gave up after that.

Luckily after that, I gave the game another go a few years ago and I loved it. :D

I'm happy to say I've beaten this game. Sometimes, you just have to set it down and do something else for a couple weeks....or months...or a few years.

VampireCrono
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
i never had a problem with tower of zot on the snes or psx version. i kind of flew through it

Leeza
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
After some level grinding, the Tower was almost a breeze. You'd think that after all this time, I would have figured out the fact that level grinding is an important part of RPG gaming in general. Just a couple of levels can really make a difference. I can be so clueless.

:colbert:
I find that this usually solves whatever problems that I might be experiencing regarding any battles. Grind, grind and then grind some more. It's time consuming and sometimes it gets to be a bit boring, but it's worth it. :)

maybee
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Not only that, but the DS version is tougher than most versions.

It's that hard if you know what your doing and know what to do...if you've never played it before then maybe; but I didn't find it to be that hard to be honest...

Only one boss really gave me trouble...

Then again my first version of FF IV was a super hard type version fan made game... I was new to the Internet and I had no idea what I was doing...

But for years I thought that Edward's name was " Kefka " and got confused when people called him a good badguy, no jokes !