PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me out?

Mercen-X
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I want to know how to pronounce ομιλώ. I don't want to know it's translation. I'm able to go online and learn the pronunciation for pretty much any other word in any other language, but apparently the only way to understand greek is to take a class... um.... no. Not doing that.

Tigmafuzz
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
It's pronounced ah-mi-lo or ah-my-lo. I don't know if it's a short or long I. Only the ancient Greeks knew how to make the distinction :(

HERE HAVE A CHART

http://i.imgur.com/cgl7y.gif

EDIT: Why do you want to know how to say "speak" in Greek? A new way to answer the phone with a command?

Mercen-X
09-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Telepathy, psychokinesis, photography, geology, all derived from Greek. Telepathy is described as "thought transference" yet the suffix "pathos" means "affliction" or "experience". But when I tried to find a greek word for communicate/speak/talk, all I got was that gobbledygook. I don't know how to say that nonsense, I need it written in a way that I can pronounce it in english without it being translated into some generic english term. There's no way for me to know for sure whether "ohmiloh" is a real word. I mean, if I said "teleomlo", would that word be recognized as "far-speak"? Or would that just be nonsense?

Tigmafuzz
09-26-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm not entirely sure. I haven't spoken Greek in like six years. But I have a friend or two that would know. I'll get back to you on that :monster:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-26-2012, 02:25 AM
It's Greek to me!

;)

Jiro
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Greek is a great language.