PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Sequel to Banjo Tooie Possibly in the Works

Trumpet Thief
09-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm a huge Banjo Kazooie fan (and pre-360 RARE fan in general). Granted, new-age RARE is devoid of many of the faces that were involved with their great stuff (Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country, etc.), but a few of the old-timers have banded together and proposed a spiritual sequel to Banjo Kazooie.

So, I decided to make a thread just to chart out the progression of it! :jess:

At the moment, they're thinking about proposing a Kickstarter. They have some pretty key developers from Banjo Kazooie and Tooie involved, and just recently, Grant Kirkhope (who did the music for the bulk of the old RARE games) has signed on! :) The twitter page for the whole team is right here: https://twitter.com/MingyJongo

This whole thing is growing in buzz, and as an avid BK fan, I really hope it goes somewhere. What sort of game would you want out of this crew, and do you think that this 'spiritual successor' has any potential?

Night Fury
09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh I loved this game as a child!
I have nothing really to add about what it would be like, but I'd love to see it re-booted!

Pike
09-27-2012, 01:45 AM
YES I'm okay with this.

Granted I'd love to see the bear and bird back themselves, but I'm okay with a spiritual sequel as well.

Heath
10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Provided the music is as brilliant as the original, that's all I'm concerned about! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgZOTuu6J0)

This is excellent news. The original Banjo-Kazooie is without a doubt my favourite 3D platform game. And I absolutely sympathise with your love of pre-Microsoft Rare. The fact that I still play some of their N64 games to this day is, I think, a testament to the high quality of them.

What sort of game do I want? Something that follows the formula that made Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie such great games. Quirky characters, imaginative level themes, and a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Laddy
10-21-2012, 09:51 PM
This is promising. I loved the Platformers of the 90's and this is very encouraging. :D

Del Murder
10-22-2012, 01:45 AM
I feel like other than the Mario Galaxy series, the 3D platformer genre was pretty dead in this generation. So I'm pretty stoked that something is in the works to revive it.

Trumpet Thief
10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
I feel like other than the Mario Galaxy series, the 3D platformer genre was pretty dead in this generation. So I'm pretty stoked that something is in the works to revive it.

Growing up with games like Super Mario 64 and the like, I'm still quite shocked at how far 3D platforming has fallen. It isn't dead or anything, but it definitely feels like it's lost a whole lot of prevalence/popularity in these past few years (Galaxy games aside, of course), especially when there were 3D Marios, Banjo-Kazooie's, Crash Bandicoot's, and a whole onslaught of games like that back then.

Del Murder
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Don't forget the Jak games. I wish Naughty Dog would do another Jak game...

Strangely enough, the 2D platformer had a bit of a revival this generation with the New SMB, DKC Returns, and LBP series paving the way.