PDA

View Full Version : FFXI Olympic Death Race

Citizen Bleys
09-27-2012, 10:18 PM
The rules:

1. You need FFXI, and a character made on Shiva
2. You need a level 1 job with only the starter gear given to you at character creation (or rough equivalent)
3. You start at the Windurst Woods exit
4. You try to get to Bastok Markets as quickly as you can.
5. No Destrier Beret -- both the movement speed bonus and auto-reraise would give you an unfair advantage over other players.
6. You set your Home Point at Windurst Woods before starting -- setting it to Bastok or any point along your route so that you can deathwarp there is bigtime cheating.

Event starts at 14:00 Atlantic on Sept. 29th (10:00 Pacific, 13:00 Eastern, 18:00 GMT). Look for me in game on Prothall or Profane (or in LS for Christ & Freyjadour); I'll meet you at the starting point, and start a timer; I'll wait for you at the crags of Mea and Dem and at the finish line and record your time.

The route you take is entirely up to you. You can set your home point at NPCs along the way, because you're definitely going to die a bunch of times, and restarting all the way back at Windurst would be awful. Want to take the ferry? Go ahead. It's safer, but will take longer. Depends how many times you think you'd die walking.

If you're not going to be passing the crags, let me know so I can set alternate checkpoints (such as the Tahrongi/Buburimu zone line for those of you taking a boat); I'll be recording the checkpoint times as well as start and finish, but they don't count in terms of judging who wins -- they're informational only.

I'm thinking that having everyone race at the same time is pretty un-doable, so just reach me in-game any time over the weekend. If I'm not online, try again later. If I'm busy, I'll try to provide an accurate ETA and let you know. I will have to do the whole food, sleep, and mowing the lawn thing, and I'd like to actually play the game myself over the weekend, so I'm not going to be idling waiting for racers who may or may not be along, but I will do my best to be accommodating.

Not required, but I'd appreciate it if you'd say in this thread if you're intending to participate so I know how many players to expect. If you can estimate a time, even better -- that way I don't pop an exp ring or join a group 10 minutes before you log on.

The deadline for participation will be a start time no later than 18:00 Atlantic (14:00 Pacific, 17:00 Eastern, 22:00 GMT) on Sept. 29th

Citizen Bleys
09-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Plugging of what? The FFOlympics?

Del Murder
09-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I wish I could participate in this but I don't think I would be able to buy and install and setup my account in time.

Quindiana Jones
09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
So, this is done now? Do we have screenshots? It'd be amazing to see everybody desperately rushing to their destination. xD

Citizen Bleys
10-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Event is now closed, with zero participants. Any available points should be awarded to Super Christ, who was at least online (but did not race).

If he's even participating in the FFOlympics.

Jiro
10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
I smurfing wish I could have participated.

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
:(

Citizen Bleys
10-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm just as glad nobody participated, I got a lot done in FFXI this weekend that wouldn't have got done if I was watching level 1's race :)

Goldenboko
10-01-2012, 07:40 PM
With no participants I award the points of this event to
TEAM GENERAL CHAT!
Because they are the real winners when that happens!

Jiro
10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm just as glad nobody participated, I got a lot done in FFXI this weekend that wouldn't have got done if I was watching level 1's race :)

Well then I'm glad we're all a bunch of useless idiots :monster:

Shauna
10-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Aww, it's a shame this never actually occurred. Sounds like it would have been fun. :p