PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Languages

Laddy
09-27-2012, 10:23 PM
From a purely auditory standpoint, what languages are your favorite?

I adore French, even my French sucks balls. I also like Arabic a lot, as I find it a rather pretty language.

Anyway, languages!

Denmark
09-27-2012, 10:26 PM
German is beautiful in every way, shape, and form. :roll:

In seriousness, Spanish.

Citizen Bleys
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Russian. Very melodic.

EDIT: Also, Scots Gaelic.

Jowy
09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Je suis d'apprendre le Français !

albeit very slowly.

Jinx
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
^the word "french" in French is not capitalized :)

Jowy
09-27-2012, 10:50 PM
thanks for taking the time to point that out

Jinx
09-27-2012, 10:52 PM
The one time you capitalize something, Jowy. x)

Jowy
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Maybe you're not looking at all of my posts enough? I utilize proper grammar, capitalization and punctuation occasionally. :aimsun:

Raistlin
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
German is a fun language. Very suitable for angry yelling.

Jiro
09-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I love all languages. They're not all nice sounding though.

Jinx
09-28-2012, 12:39 AM
THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE

in my pants

Parker
09-28-2012, 12:41 AM
french is awesome and anyone who does not agree is a lamoid

Christmas
09-28-2012, 12:54 AM
我是聖誕節,大家好。要乖乖喔!!:bigsmile:

1 M CH1R57M4Z, J0 B1z07chEz!!!! d1e!!!! :cool:

Pheesh
09-28-2012, 01:06 AM
I've always loved Russian. Also French and I believe Italian has its charms.

Jinx
09-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Too bad you can't speak any of it, Phil. :(

Pike
09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Honestly?

I think English is beautiful. :3

Tigmafuzz
09-28-2012, 02:08 AM
English can be pretty sometimes. But German, Russian, Italian, and a certain Korean dialect spoken by someone I know are all very beautiful as well :bigsmile:

Clo
09-28-2012, 02:12 AM
I really like arabic. Honestly though, all language is fascinatingly beautiful to me. I've been learning German for six months now, and I think it's a horrible sounding language. But I'm enjoying it for some fucking reason.

Unbreakable Will
09-28-2012, 02:41 AM
I really enjoy hearing Japanese and Arabic.
I detest German though, not the people mind you, but the language grates on my ears.

Pike
09-28-2012, 10:39 AM
a certain Korean dialect spoken by someone I know are all very beautiful as well :bigsmile:

Gangnam Style is beautiful, isn't it? What a wonderful man! :love:

Jiro
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I listen to that song everyday.

Jinx
09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I actually think Japanese is an extremely ugly language. Worse than German.

Night Fury
09-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Spanish and Italian.
:heart: :heart:

Chris
09-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Most beautiful language has got to be farsi. I wish I could learn. :|

Shorty
09-28-2012, 04:53 PM
french is awesome and anyone who does not agree is a lamoid

qft

Miriel
09-28-2012, 06:31 PM
French is beautiful to hear. It sounds like liquid.

I thought I would love Italian more because it's like THE romance language, but while traveling around Italy, I wasn't as taken with it as I was with French. I love loooooved hearing French spoken by the natives when we visited Paris earlier this year. Made me giddy.

Japanese is also pretty.

Goldenboko
09-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I actually think Japanese is an extremely ugly language. Worse than German.
HERROURU!

Slothy
09-28-2012, 06:48 PM
German is a fun language. Very suitable for angry yelling.

Too true. Die Eier von Satan is the best song ever for demonstrating this.

I actually quite like German. I found it easier to start getting the hang of than most languages when I took one German class in University. All I remember are some swear words though. Some guy actually worked for some tourism spot in the province once and some German guy once called him something and I remember him asking the prof what it meant. Apparently they were calling him a shit head. Good times.

And since some people have mentioned French I must say that I hate that language. Might be a consequence of where I live and the school system trying to force me to learn a bit of it for several years despite my ability to read, speak and understand it when spoken being non-existent. And I got 90's easily in all of my French classes. But who actually uses that language outside of French people who are either living in Quebec, or know enough English to get by outside of Quebec?

Not speaking French has actually come in handy since it means I don't have to go to Quebec for one of our audits and be away from home for a few weeks busting my hump.

Shorty
09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
How much French do you speak, Sarah? :P

It's a cool language. I love it. And in my opinion, extremely easy to learn. But pretty? No, not really.

Whatever my three years of taking it during high school taught me. I don't know what speaking it has to do with how beautiful I find it to be, though. :greenie:

drotato
09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I think Italian is such a beautiful language, and I've always wanted to learn it. :bigsmile:

Beowulf
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM

It's a cool language. I love it. And in my opinion, extremely easy to learn. But pretty? No, not really.

Whatever my three years of taking it during high school taught me. I don't know what speaking it has to do with how beautiful I find it to be, though. :greenie:

I just meant in regards to, 'how often have you heard it spoken?' sort of thing. Most people find French to be pretty because media tells them it's pretty.

I actually speak a good amount of French. Reason I decided to learn it back in the day? It was the trade language. Not because of how it sounds, or anything like that.

As for language, do hieroglyphics count as a language? I've always been partial to Egyptian times, hence one of my tattoos being an Eye of Ra.

Jinx
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM

I just meant in regards to, 'how often have you heard it spoken?' sort of thing. Most people find French to be pretty because media tells them it's pretty.

I actually speak a good amount of French. Reason I decided to learn it back in the day? It was the trade language. Not because of how it sounds, or anything like that.

As for language, do hieroglyphics count as a language? I've always been partial to Egyptian times, hence one of my tattoos being an Eye of Ra.

oh goddammit xD

Beowulf
09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
lolwut

My points valid, and you know it. :kakapo:

Jinx
09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
lolwut

My points valid, and you know it. :kakapo:

I was referring to your tattoo.

Beowulf
09-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh. Don't be jelly.

I tend to get tattoos of awesome.

Also on topic: Hieroglyphics is my favorite language. Think about how many stories were told, with those symbols? Maybe it's just because I'm a nerd, but I've always loved them.

I actually got to see some in person, once. I nearly died from excitement.

Citizen Bleys
09-28-2012, 08:30 PM
And since some people have mentioned French I must say that I hate that language.

International French sounds very different from what's spoken in Canada. It flows. Listen to someone from France, Africa, or Viet Nam speaking French and they don't sound like they're taking a dump the way French-Canadians do.

Slothy
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
International French sounds very different from what's spoken in Canada. It flows. Listen to someone from France, Africa, or Viet Nam speaking French and they don't sound like they're taking a dump the way French-Canadians do.

I actually don't disagree with you. But hearing people take a dump on the language my whole life (and I know people from Bathurst so I've seen some unbelievable shitting on the language) has kind of soured me on the language as a whole. I know it shouldn't be that way, but I can't help it.

Clo
09-29-2012, 01:25 AM
French and French-Canadian and Canadian all suck and you all know it.

Jiro
09-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Nonsense, the guy working at the hostel I stayed in at Jericho Beach had a smurfing awesome accent. Canadians are awesome.

Clo
09-29-2012, 06:57 PM
:colbert: Most definitely not.

Jiro
09-30-2012, 11:15 AM
You've just got bad eggs or something. I guess Australia and Canadia have always been bros though.

Raistlin
09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Eh?

Citizen Bleys
10-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Nonsense, the guy working at the hostel I stayed in at Jericho Beach had a smurfing awesome accent. Canadians are awesome.

There are more different Canadian accents than there are different British accents.

For that matter, Nova Scotia alone has at least 3 different British-sound-alike accents that I can think of off the top of my head; Haligonians tend to sound (BBC) English, valleyfolk (South Republic) Irish, Cape Bretoners (Glaswegian) Scottish, plus two distinctly Nova Scotian accents around New Glasgow and Musquodoboit Harbour, both of which sound quite British and have a lot of British slang, but don't match any particular part of the UK

A Newfoundlander and an Albertan sound nothing alike.

Most Ontarians don't have a Canadian accent at all; Even the ones without ethnic accents sound vaguely Jamaican to me.

Jiro
10-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Even Australia has a variety of accents but I like to generalise because it's easier and sometimes annoys people :jess:

Citizen Bleys
10-01-2012, 04:30 AM
it annoys me you ass

PIPE

milliegoesbeep
10-01-2012, 07:52 AM
I really adore the Japanese and Korean languages. I find them elegant and so soft on the ears.. <3

Tigmafuzz
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I really adore the Japanese and Korean languages. I find them elegant and so soft on the ears.. <3

They really are... when they aren't being yelled at you in anger :jess:

Raistlin
10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
it annoys me you ass

PIPE

PIPE!

blackmage_nuke
10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I find Vietnamese the most painful language to listen to and cant stand the ng syllable

Pike
10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
We can't talk about Canadian accents without talking about deckles.

As an aside I used to work in a mall about a half hour's drive from the Canadian border (British Columbia) and I could identify a Canadian from across the room. That accent.

Slothy
10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
There are more different Canadian accents than there are different British accents.

For that matter, Nova Scotia alone has at least 3 different British-sound-alike accents that I can think of off the top of my head; Haligonians tend to sound (BBC) English, valleyfolk (South Republic) Irish, Cape Bretoners (Glaswegian) Scottish, plus two distinctly Nova Scotian accents around New Glasgow and Musquodoboit Harbour, both of which sound quite British and have a lot of British slang, but don't match any particular part of the UK

A Newfoundlander and an Albertan sound nothing alike.

Most Ontarians don't have a Canadian accent at all; Even the ones without ethnic accents sound vaguely Jamaican to me.

This dude knows the score of course. I have the misfortune of having grown up in PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick some I'm sure my accent is some mishmash of oh god my ears.

Speaking of Newfoundlanders though, we could even compare them to their closer neighbours Labradorians, and they still don't sound alike. Similar, but definitely different.

As an aside I used to work in a mall about a half hour's drive from the Canadian border (British Columbia) and I could identify a Canadian from across the room. That accent.

If they were from BC then I'm assuming they had an Asian accent? /racism

Goldenboko
10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Grumio est coquus.

Citizen Bleys
10-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Grumio est coquus.

No, Gremio did not break his coccyx, it was flesh-eating mites. Don't you pay attention?

Pike
10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
If they were from BC then I'm assuming they had an Asian accent? /racism

Indian :greenie:

Tigmafuzz
10-03-2012, 03:32 AM
India is in Asia. :erm: