PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIV: New Player Worlds and Subtitled Q&A

Raistlin
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM
The Final Fantasy XIV development team has dropped some interesting tidbits on the official forums recently. Most noteworthy is that A Realm Reborn will feature new worlds that target new players. Current players will not be able to transfer their characters to the new worlds for a while, but will be able to create new characters there. New players will still be able to choose an existing or non-newbie’d server to join. With the news about regional servers (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiv/144968-so-regional-servers-strike.html), presumably each region will have at least one sever dedicated to new characters.

Good idea or bad idea? It looks like Squeenix is trying to allow new worlds for new characters to develop their own economies independent of everything that already exists. Whether that will be successful or not or even whether that’s a good thing remains to be seen. Eventually, it looks like a world transfer system similar to the one used in Final Fantasy XI is planned, where you can pay to transfer a character between servers.

Additionally, today the subtitled version and official translation of the last Letter from the Producer Live Q&A (http://home.eyesonff.com/content/1971-letter-producer-iii.html) has been released. It’s an hour-and-a-half long, so you might want to check out the official translation (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/55280-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-III-Q-A-Summary-%2809-27-2012%29) or EoFF’s highlights (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiv/144953-letter-producer-iii.html#post3130420) that we posted previously.

TnFLSH2jkjw

Rostum
09-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Looking good, I recommend watching it because they show off a lot of cool game play.

Del Murder
09-28-2012, 02:06 AM
I can see how some people may want a fresh start in a world where everyone starts on the same level playing field. But eventually some people will surpass others and there will be a divide between 'veterans' and 'newbies'. I think this is a fine idea in the short term but pretty pointless in the long term as everyone gets accustomed to ARR. I for one would never join one of these servers because playing with veterans is a great asset as they can show you the ropes and help you avoid some of the unnecessary time sinks that are inherent in these MMOs.

I think having diverse servers with a mix of new players and veterans, from all parts of the world, is the best solution.

Ouch!
09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm a little disappointed to hear that they're exploring new classes already for FFXIV:ARR (conjurer), but they've put second jobs for each class on hold. I guess I can appreciate that adding one new class and it's single associated job is much less of an undertaking than adding a second job for every already-existing class. Especially considering that the second job isn't so simple when it comes to keeping the classes to the same weapon.

What other job uses a polearm? Samurai can, but I can't imagine samurai without a katana. Dark knight has precedent for using a sword, and it would make sense to make two-handed swords dark knight-exclusive, but can you then imagine red mage, being associated with thaumaturge (which makes sense) but only equipping staves? Archer could easily go along the lines of other interpretations of the hunter/ranger class throughout the RPG world by making it class-based, but what about pugilist? I can see them adding a new class (ronin, perhaps?) from which samurai and ninja would branch off from. Or perhaps something like a rogue class having ninja and thief. There are so many ways everything could possibly break down, but it looks like the job system doesn't mesh perfectly with a class system based on equipping a single weapon. I suppose they could continue to do what they've done for relics where jobs get job-specific weapons, and that would grant them significantly more free reign.

Long story short, I really, really want red mage.

Loony BoB
09-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm a little disappointed to hear that they're exploring new classes already for FFXIV:ARR (conjurer)
Arcanist. ;)

but they've put second jobs for each class on hold. I guess I can appreciate that adding one new class and it's single associated job is much less of an undertaking than adding a second job for every already-existing class. Especially considering that the second job isn't so simple when it comes to keeping the classes to the same weapon.
It's not being put on hold - they are still hoping for Summoner to be there at release, it's just not expected at the moment.

What other job uses a polearm? Samurai can, but I can't imagine samurai without a katana. Dark knight has precedent for using a sword, and it would make sense to make two-handed swords dark knight-exclusive, but can you then imagine red mage, being associated with thaumaturge (which makes sense) but only equipping staves? Archer could easily go along the lines of other interpretations of the hunter/ranger class throughout the RPG world by making it class-based, but what about pugilist? I can see them adding a new class (ronin, perhaps?) from which samurai and ninja would branch off from. Or perhaps something like a rogue class having ninja and thief. There are so many ways everything could possibly break down, but it looks like the job system doesn't mesh perfectly with a class system based on equipping a single weapon. I suppose they could continue to do what they've done for relics where jobs get job-specific weapons, and that would grant them significantly more free reign.

Long story short, I really, really want red mage.
I think you're taking the entire weapon thing a little too literally. It's a very easy "problem" to solve and they already do it with Thaumaturge and Conjurer. Technically, Conjurer uses Radicals & Wands. Thaumaturge uses Scepters and Staffs. But really, Pastoral Oak Cane as an example - it's a staff. Everyone knows it's a staff. They just call it a Pastoral Oak Cane and they say "It's a Conjurer weapon." They can do the same with Dark Knight and Red Mage and all that. They'll say "Dark Knight uses Great Swords, Red Mage uses Rapiers." But all they have to do is make any kind of sword and make it a Red Mage or Dark Knight sword and... that's that. They do it with the mages already and I'm sure they'll do it with the other blades in future classes/jobs. :)

Red Mage etc. will all get their own classes at this rate. They stated in a conference recently that multiple jobs per class is something that could be looked into but would probably be a lot of additional work, which to me suggests that they won't be doing it any time soon. Not to mention that if you think about it, if they added additional jobs for each class then they may feel that they have to add an additional job for every single class, as otherwise some classes will be somewhat penalised. Remember, adding jobs to existing classes where people are L50 on those classes means that they will instantly be L50 on those jobs as well.

Ouch!
09-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Q: Will there be a secondary job for each class? Such as gladiators becoming dark knights, or archers becoming rangers?
A: I spoke to the battle team earlier, and they said they will do it… when they find the time, that is. They’re currently focused on refining the new battle system, which has changed so radically that all classes are essentially new. When that’s finished, they’ll move on to secondary jobs, but I cannot say when that might be.

The plan is for every class to have a secondary job. They have discussed in the past that they may force you to choose one job permanently for each class, but there's been no word on that recently. So far as I can tell, the plan has been for every class to eventually have two jobs.

Also whoops on conjurer. I've been spending too much time leveling WHM lately.

Also I'm aware that there's the relatively simple solution you've suggested, it just seems... disappointingly inconsistent as a mechanic. It's just sloppy.

Loony BoB
09-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh, hey, cool. The translation I had read (unofficial) had stated that they would look into it but it would require a lot of work, but it's nice to see that the official translation is more concrete!

I agree that the system is sloppy and inconsistent.

Ouch!
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
As with just about everything else, speculation about how it will work is mostly useless until we know how the existing classes and jobs are changing for A Realm Reborn. Part of the explanation being "changed so radically that all classes are essentially new" makes me wonder how far they're taking the changes. The news about MNK getting a complete facelift (and moving away from the elemental fist abilities in exchange for chaining combos) makes it almost impossible to guess where anything is going at this point. There's no point of reference.