PDA

View Full Version : What Superstitions Do You Believe In most?

Formalhaut
09-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Everyone surely has some lucky or unlucky superstition which means they will flail wildly when faced with a ladder, or just completely avoid a footpath with cracks in it, or stops their mirror breaking hobby (I'm exaggerating, I think)

In doing the poll, I had to try and get the more common ones, living in England, we have some incredibly wacky ones, like this gem:

"Cut your hair when the moon is waxing and you will have good luck!"

Or this one:

"One ancient British superstition holds that if a child rides on a Bear's back it will be protected from whooping-cough" (Though not protected from a right mauling)

Do you have any little known superstitions?

Jiro
09-28-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't walk under ladders but that is more because I don't want some fucker to fall off the thing and onto me. We've got some very dodgy tradies. I can't even think of any superstitions off the top of my head but no doubt I subscribe to at least one.

Raistlin
09-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I consciously try to avoid superstitious thinking. But part of me still believes in the concept of luck (good or bad) in the context of gambling, even though I tell myself that there are no such things as streaks and that prior poker hands have no impact on the future.

Christmas
09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Collect seven or nine different flowers on midsummer eve and place them under your pillow and it is said that you will dream of your future spouse. (Sweden)

Rantz must has been doing this all his life. My proud little boy. :bigsmile:

Bubba
09-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Spinning around twenty times and stumbling into a busy road will bring bad luck.

Formalhaut
09-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Spinning around twenty times and stumbling into a busy road will bring bad luck.

As is riding a bear apparantly. I don't know who the hell thought of that one.

Chris
09-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't let a silly thing like superstition get in the way of my busy living. If I had to avoid ladders on a daily basis, I would have to live underground. :glare:

Shorty
09-28-2012, 04:47 PM
I have my own black cat who's lucky :love:

Bubba
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM

As is riding a bear apparantly. I don't know who the hell thought of that one.

Too true! I'd rather have the whooping cough if I'm honest.

Faris
09-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I have my own black cat who's lucky :love:

So does TSoL. Burn the witches!

I believe is a few of those and I feel damn silly sometimes for believing it. Also not walking under a ladder is just common sense, shit falls. :colbert:

Jinx
09-28-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't believe in any superstitions. But there are some things I do just out of "tradition." For example, I'll "knock on wood" when I say something good that's happening. And I think it's more tradition for the bride and groom to not see each other before the ceremony as opposed to "YOUR MARRIAGE WILL SUCK."

EDIT: Black cats are supposed to be UNlucky.
Also, it's just common sense not to open an umbrella indoors. :colbert:

Denmark
09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Superstitions are stupidstitions imo

Formalhaut
09-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't believe in any superstitions. But there are some things I do just out of "tradition." For example, I'll "knock on wood" when I say something good that's happening. And I think it's more tradition for the bride and groom to not see each other before the ceremony as opposed to "YOUR MARRIAGE WILL SUCK."

EDIT: Black cats are supposed to be UNlucky.
Also, it's just common sense not to open an umbrella indoors. :colbert:

The website lied! Curses!

Also, what if the building sprinker system malfunctions, and you just happen to be carrying an umbrella?

Miriel
09-28-2012, 06:28 PM
lol @ "Bride and Groom must not meet on the day of the wedding"

How will they get married?

Knocking on wood is the only one I do out of habit, don't really think about the rest.

Madame Adequate
09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I believe meeting a black cat is very lucky, because you have had the good fortune to meet a cat! :bigsmile:

Psychotic
09-28-2012, 07:03 PM
16 posts in and nothing about magpies? What is wrong with you people :colbert:

Night Fury
09-28-2012, 07:10 PM

WHEY AYE THE TOON.

Psychotic
09-28-2012, 07:16 PM

WHEY AYE THE TOON.:doublecolbert:

Night Fury
09-28-2012, 07:20 PM

WHEY AYE THE TOON.:doublecolbert:

:mymeltitter:

Psychotic
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Utter filth. :zombert: Look, I'm not saying that the people of Newcastle should be rounded up, stuffed into a rocket and fired into the Sun, but... actually, no, that is exactly what I am saying.

Cuchulainn
09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I used to be superstitious until i was about 12. My Ma still is. I used to believe in this omnipotent being who created everything & then sat back for a millenia doing nothing while his chosen people slaughtered the ever loving smurf out of eachother constantly.

I was cured of this superstition at quite a younger age than most here simply by asking the wrong people the right questions.

escobert
09-28-2012, 07:32 PM
knocking on wood is the only one I particularly do.

Night Fury
09-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Utter filth. :zombert: Look, I'm not saying that the people of Newcastle should be rounded up, stuffed into a rocket and fired into the Sun, but... actually, no, that is exactly what I am saying.

You're a right grumpus you are.

drotato
09-28-2012, 08:22 PM

You're a right grumpus you are.
You hear that, Psy?
A right grumpus.... :colbert:

Beowulf
09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Friday the 13th. I never liked that day. Beginning of every year, I go through the calender and request every single day off that's Friday the 13th.

Formalhaut
09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Friday the 13th. I never liked that day. Beginning of every year, I go through the calender and request every single day off that's Friday the 13th.

Wow, that's serious dedication.

drotato
09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Damn... And I thought I was superstitious. o. o

Clo
09-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Sometimes I feel like things are bad signs. For instance, if I wake up and realize I left my coffee travel mug at work: bad sign. If there's a fight in the morning before first period: bad sign.

Pike
09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I believe meeting a black cat is very lucky, because you have had the good fortune to meet a cat! :bigsmile:

I believe you mean: meeting a black cat is very lucky because it means there's about to be glorious wildcat strikes and revolutions and solidarity :bigsmile:

As for me: When I was a kid my mom told me that saying "rabbit" as soon as you wake up, on the first day of every month, was lucky. I still do it sometimes, but not because I believe in the luck so much as it's fun to see if I can remember!

Other than that I am not superstitious in the slightest. I never really believed that sort of thing. Except for the Easter Bunny. I was convinced the Easter Bunny was real until I was like 15.

Beowulf
09-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Wow, that's serious dedication.

Yep. I'm a paranoid schizophrenic.

Madame Adequate
09-28-2012, 11:47 PM

There was a game of Civ IV me and Pike played where she turned Newcastle into an industrial powerhouse that pumped out nuclear weapons.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Geordies. With nukes.

Pike
09-28-2012, 11:47 PM
OH MAN that was so great, they could build an ICBM in like three turns.

Madame Adequate
09-28-2012, 11:48 PM
No. No there was absolutely nothing great about this at all. :colbert:

Pike
09-28-2012, 11:49 PM
sBIaOsPxpTA

Unbreakable Will
09-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm only superstitious about the dead, for some reason I get antsy when people attempt to disturb resting places. Go figure.

Jinx
09-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Bubba hates the Geordie accent but I've never heard it??????

(But my sweet, sweet Lockharted is from there, and I could never hate anything that had to do with her mouth.)

Bunny
09-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Please tell me that accent is exaggerated and you don't have a bunch of people running around sounding like that.

I am not very superstitious but my brain is afraid of ghosts.

Jinx
09-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Being afraid of ghosts isn't superstitious, it's practical.

Christmas
09-29-2012, 01:47 AM

Jiro
09-29-2012, 02:50 AM
I consciously try to avoid superstitious thinking. But part of me still believes in the concept of luck (good or bad) in the context of gambling, even though I tell myself that there are no such things as streaks and that prior poker hands have no impact on the future.

Yeah I have all sorts of stupid little things with poker. Diamonds never hit a flush for me, for instance. That's utter bollocks because it has happened once or twice but it just feels less likely.

PS what the fuck is wrong with Magpies?

Madame Adequate
09-29-2012, 05:12 AM
Please tell me that accent is exaggerated and you don't have a bunch of people running around sounding like that.

That's actually fairly toned down from real Geordies for the purposes of people from outside Newcastle being able to understand the skit.

Tigmafuzz
09-29-2012, 05:46 AM
>"believing" in things
>2012

Bunny
09-29-2012, 06:41 AM

That's actually fairly toned down from real Geordies for the purposes of people from outside Newcastle being able to understand the skit.

The English are no longer allowed to make fun of Americans for any reason whatsoever.

MJN SEIFER
09-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Black cats are good luck, I believe it because they're cats.

Also, it is bad luck to harm a black cat (that's been corrupted in some places and made people think the black cats themselves were bad luck :roll2) I would never harm a black cat, but not just because of superstition. I would never harm a cat at all.

Also, horseshoes can be good luck, or bad luck. It depends on which direction they're pointing.

One not mentioned on here, that I don't believe at all is rabbit's feet being lucky. I don't think the rabbit believes in this one...

Psychotic
09-29-2012, 09:12 AM
PS what the smurf is wrong with Magpies?You must always salute a lone magpie. One for sorrow. But if you see two you can thank them. Three is a nice bonus 'cause it means you're gonna meet a laaaaaaydyyyyyy.
The English are no longer allowed to make fun of Americans for any reason whatsoever.Look, we don't encourage it, alright? We exiled them to a frozen northern wasteland and we try to keep them out of normal society as best we can. We don't judge you for Detroit, so don't judge us for Newcastle.

Night Fury
09-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm very hurt by the Newcastle hate!!!

nik0tine
09-29-2012, 11:24 AM
I challenge anyone who doesn't think a four leaf clover is lucky to actually find one.

Shauna
09-29-2012, 11:31 AM
PS what the smurf is wrong with Magpies?You must always salute a lone magpie. One for sorrow. But if you see two you can thank them. Three is a nice bonus 'cause it means you're gonna meet a laaaaaaydyyyyyy.

There's a nice little rhyme to remember all the things magpies will bring.
One for sorrow, two for joy,
Three for a girl, four for a boy,
Five for silver, six for gold,
Seven for a secret, never to be told.

My only question is what happens when you see 8 magpies?

Also I tend not to be too superstitious. I don't think I do any of the things on the poll because I believe it's bad luck.

Rantz
09-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Seeing seven has to be terrible. Like, ah geez, I was gonna get some sweetass gold... a secret? Laaaaaaame.

Psychotic
09-29-2012, 11:45 AM

My only question is what happens when you see 8 magpies? Eight for a wish and nine for a kiss, ten for a time of joyous bliss!

Mirage
09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Where is the "none of the above" poll option?

Jiro
09-30-2012, 11:29 AM
You must always salute a lone magpie. One for sorrow. But if you see two you can thank them. Three is a nice bonus 'cause it means you're gonna meet a laaaaaaydyyyyyy.

Did not even know that. huh. Awesome. Might have to do it anyway, magpies are awesome birds.

Mercen-X
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't believe in luck. I believe in empty probability. That is to say that smart people can calculate the probability of outcomes, but none of that actually means anything and I don't care.

Unbreakable Will
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM

My only question is what happens when you see 8 magpies? Eight for a wish and nine for a kiss, ten for a time of joyous bliss!
You made that shit up on the spot. :colbert:

Quindiana Jones
10-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Bad time to come out and tell everyone I'm half Geordie. :|

Jiro
10-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Half Geordie and you live in France. Doing well for yourself these days eh Arty

Quindiana Jones
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
All I need to do now is join the BNP, and I'll become the biggest scumbag in the world.

Shlup
10-03-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't believe in superstition, or karma, or luck, or any such thing.