PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Return of the Jedi change!

Spawn of Sephiroth
10-01-2012, 01:05 AM
I was looking online and ran across something so I checked my dvd of Return of the Jedi (and its the same in the new blu-ray release too) but at the end, they took the ghost of the guy who played Vador out and placed a digital version of Hayden Christensen. That kind of makes me mad.

Alpha2099
10-01-2012, 01:28 AM
I hate that too. It feels sacrilegious.

Araciel
10-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah.. I had to get the unupdated ones. I don't need storm troopers riding dewbacks either

Sephex
10-01-2012, 01:49 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2011/10/7/11/star-wars-blu-ray-ending-24916-1318001492-34.jpg

Raistlin
10-01-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm only surprised you just heard of this, because there was plenty of internet outrage when the "updated" special edition came out.

blackmage_nuke
10-01-2012, 05:51 AM
I always imagine James Earl Jones under Vader's mask anyway so both portrayals are sacrelige to me. Even though I know it makes no sense in terms of genetics and continuity

Bolivar
10-01-2012, 06:09 AM
I've never been bothered by these things. The prequels aren't good movies, they don't capture that intangible feel that Star Wars had, but I still enjoy them nonetheless. I don't mind them updating the Darth ghost at the end.

Jiro
10-01-2012, 06:22 AM
It doesn't bother me as much as it perhaps should.

NeoCracker
10-01-2012, 07:38 AM
This wasn't quite as bad as Greedo getting a shot off though.

Bubba
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I was disappointed with the change... only because I think Hayden Christensen is a horrible actor. Especially in Attack of the Clones.

charliepanayi
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Christensen is not an especially great actor but to be fair, even Laurence Olivier would have struggled with the dialogue Anakin has in Attack of the Clones.

GhandiOwnsYou
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Your timing is impeccable, I just came across this last night...

Cool Tool Tuesdays: Harmy’s STAR WARS “Despecialized Editions” | Geek in Heels (http://www.geekinheels.com/2012/02/28/cool-tool-tuesdays-harmys-star-wars-despecialized-editions.html)

Chris
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't mind it. I prefer the "updated" versions of the classic Trilogy.

Slothy
10-01-2012, 12:50 PM

It bothers me, but not because I'm some purist who doesn't want to see the films touched (ok, mostly not because of that). It mainly bothers me because it's a complete slap in the face to the guy who was originally in that scene, not to mention totally unnecessary. Does it actually add anything to the movie? No? Then don't change it. Simple formula for not pissing off your fan base, backhanding the actors that worked for you, and wasting a bunch of time right there. I feel much the same way about them changing Boba Fett's voice in Empire.

Stuff like this, not to mention Greedo shooting first, or the added scene with Jabba in Star Wars (which repeats a lot of the dialogue from the scene with Greedo by the way) are why I haven't given Lucas my money for the Blu-Ray's. I don't want to encourage him to keep fiddling with these every time he wants to put in a new pool.

charliepanayi
10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah I think the major problem is that it's not just one bout of tinkering with the originals, or doing a Director's Cut or something, it just seems to be an endless round of tweaks over the last fifteen years. It gets ridiculous after a while, it's like George Lucas can't bear to draw a line underneath the original three films and move on.

Jinx
10-01-2012, 01:58 PM
People loved the original for a reason. You wouldn't go to the Louvre and paint Mona Lisa holding an iPhone with earbuds in.

blackmage_nuke
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I think if davinchi was alive he'd be all about airbrushing the mona lisa. maybe add a lensflare in the background

Shorty
10-01-2012, 06:51 PM

It bothers me, but not because I'm some purist who doesn't want to see the films touched (ok, mostly not because of that). It mainly bothers me because it's a complete slap in the face to the guy who was originally in that scene, not to mention totally unnecessary. Does it actually add anything to the movie? No? Then don't change it. Simple formula for not pissing off your fan base, backhanding the actors that worked for you, and wasting a bunch of time right there. I feel much the same way about them changing Boba Fett's voice in Empire.

Stuff like this, not to mention Greedo shooting first, or the added scene with Jabba in Star Wars (which repeats a lot of the dialogue from the scene with Greedo by the way) are why I haven't given Lucas my money for the Blu-Ray's. I don't want to encourage him to keep fiddling with these every time he wants to put in a new pool.

It is indeed completely unnecessary. And agreed with everything. Also the noise Ben Kenobi makes to scare off the sand people was changed and it shouldn't have been. Small tick, but it bothers me.

Hollycat
10-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I like some of the changes, such as with the sarlac pit, but some of them are just unnecessary, such as the one you mentioned.

Slothy
10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Also the noise Ben Kenobi makes to scare off the sand people was changed and it shouldn't have been. Small tick, but it bothers me.

That noise really bothers me. Maybe more than it does other people if only because I refuse to believe that anyone with ears could have stuck that sound in the movie and thought it was a good thing.

And this might be a little weird, but I want to ask if anyone else is bothered by the scenes, particularly any scenes where they're in space, which were added or changed to have CGI instead? I think those scenes have never sat well with me for two reasons: the first being that they stand out like a sore thumb. The second reason though is that I was genuinely impressed by the special effects of the original movies. They built that shit by hand and used every trick in the book to make effects that still looked good 30 years later. Then they added some CGI in 1997 and have never really bothered to touch it up. It never sat well with me because of the stark difference in quality between the two.

Maybe I should watch what I say though or the space battles in the next revision might resemble Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith and there are no words sufficient to describe how much I absolutely do not want that.

Hollycat
10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I've gotta go find a video of the new sound since I have no idea what you are talking about.

Results to follow.

Dear lord, what the hell was that?! That was the worst thing I've ever heard!

George Lucas must be out of his mind.

Edit: relevant link http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Jinx
10-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I've never actually watched the updated versions.

However, Vivi, I can say that'd probably bother me as well. The film quality itself from the 70s/80s is very different from what we use today. I feel like it'd look wrong.

The Man
10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Lucas was murdered several decades ago and replaced with a look-alike. It would explain how he was able to make so many classic movies at one point while having all of his recent material turn out to be invariably crap.

Shorty
10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Freed: the answer is that yes, he was.

Relevant:

qJlbPXZEpRE

credit to whoever showed this to me because I forgot

Slothy
10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I just figured there was no one telling him things when things were a stupid idea anymore. Either that or he got rich enough on Star Wars merchandise that he could safely stop giving a shit.

The Man
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I just figured there was no one telling him things when things were a stupid idea anymore. Either that or he got rich enough on Star Wars merchandise that he could safely stop giving a trout.Those are more likely, actually, but I still like my theory better.

charliepanayi
10-01-2012, 08:17 PM
It's even more annoying when you remember he made American Graffiti, which is a brilliant film.

NeoCracker
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Fun little video if you have 12 minutes to spare.

Renegade Cut - In Defense of Asylum (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/leon-thomas/renegade-cut/36080-renegade-cut-in-defense-of-asylum)

Edit: Bah, wrong link.

Renegade Cut - Respect for George Lucas (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/leon-thomas/renegade-cut/36406-renegade-cut-respect-for-george-lucas)

I'll leave the first though, because Renegade cut is awesome.

Forsaken Lover
10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
The funniest part about all this is that Luke's reaction should be more like "huh? Who is that gorgeous fellow?"

He only ever saw his wizened old dad when he took off the mask. So it makes sense for him to smile and be happy when he saw him as a ghost.

When Hayder appears though, Luke will just be confused.

G13
10-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Also the noise Ben Kenobi makes to scare off the sand people was changed and it shouldn't have been. Small tick, but it bothers me.

This particular change is the least offensive to a lot of Star Wars geeks. Tusken Raiders are afraid of krayt dragons, and Obi-Wan was supposed to be mimicking a krayt mating call, but the original sound he made was of something else, so Lucas decided to retcon because, I mean, who doesn't know what a krayt mating call sounds like?

Lucas has said that all of the changes made were to finally bring his original vision of the films to life, as technology wasn't advanced enough in the late 70's/early 80's, but the addition of Hayden Buttholeson, among many other changes, really tore a hole in that statement. Doesn't hold up, and he's doing the exact same thing with the 3D releases of the NT. Dude just likes making money, and we're all stupid enough to keep giving it to him.

charliepanayi
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not even sure it's a case of wanting money, if he made the original editions available in any way he'd rake it in after all. I just think it's some OCD-type thing he's got with the whole series and never being totally satisfied.

Shorty
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

This particular change is the least offensive to a lot of Star Wars geeks. Tusken Raiders are afraid of krayt dragons, and Obi-Wan was supposed to be mimicking a krayt mating call, but the original sound he made was of something else, so Lucas decided to retcon because, I mean, who doesn't know what a krayt mating call sounds like?

I know it's not a big deal :( I watched the revised version, though, and was like HEY THAT'S NOT RIGHT and it has bothered me since!

Forsaken Lover
10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I personally just like to watch this video and then everything makes sense.
Star Wars: Luke's Father--Certain Point of View - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhdk0YOrVCg)

Hollycat
10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I like the version where they replace everyone with ewoks and all the guns with walkie talkies.

Goldenboko
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Lucas has said that all of the changes made were to finally bring his original vision of the films to life, as technology wasn't advanced enough in the late 70's/early 80's, but the addition of Hayden Buttholeson, among many other changes, really tore a hole in that statement. Doesn't hold up, and he's doing the exact same thing with the 3D releases of the NT. Dude just likes making money, and we're all stupid enough to keep giving it to him.

Speak for yourself, I haven't purchased anything Star Wars in years.

Slothy
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Speak for yourself, I haven't purchased anything Star Wars in years.

Assuming Lego and Lightsabers count then I have bought Star Wars stuff in recent years. But movies? Last ones I bought were the re-releases that did have older cuts of the original trilogy in addition to the special editions. I don't even own the new trilogy.

G13
10-02-2012, 07:29 PM

I know it's not a big deal :( I watched the revised version, though, and was like HEY THAT'S NOT RIGHT and it has bothered me since!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I find it annoying too. I just talk a lot when it comes to SW, you know that :p

Mercen-X
10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
http://s3jpg
I want the blu-ray edition!

This wasn't quite as bad as Greedo getting a shot off though.

There should be a new cut where not only does Greedo not get a shot off but rather than blast him, Han stabs him in the throat. I'm not being an ass either, I really think that'd be awesome! :p

I like some of the changes, such as with the sarlac pit.
No. :colbert:

I'm starting to wonder if Lucas was murdered several decades ago and replaced with a look-alike. It would explain how he was able to make so many classic movies at one point while having all of his recent material turn out to be invariably crap.
Why the hell won't that bastard make any of the post-Jedi novels into films or tv shows? My all-time favorite post is New Republic: Traitor. Just behind that is the YJK installment wherein Tenel Ka gets her arm raped off by Jacen's overpowering lightsabering.

Obi-Wan supposedly mimicking a krayt, but original was something else, Lucas retconned because who doesn't know what a krayt sounds like?

NT

Wow. Just wow. Also, what's NT?

G13
10-05-2012, 01:42 AM
New trilogy.

Also, Mercen-X, Lucas has said that as far as he's concerned the Star Wars films are all there is to the story. The novels, comics, games, and show are all canon, but he's pretty much done with the series as far as movies go. It's more than a safe bet that the none of the novels will ever be made into films.

The Man
10-05-2012, 01:58 AM
The Timothy Zahn trilogy would have been perfect for a new film series, way better than the shitty prequel trilogy. But no. Lucas had to write his own, crappy original story. :colbert:

Mercen-X
10-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Lucas needs to be entombed.

Jiro
10-06-2012, 08:24 AM
The Expanded Universe is generally better than the prequel trilogy in every conceivable way

Mercen-X
10-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Crimson Empire, YJK, NJO, hell even Dark Forces, Shadows of the Empire, and Force Unleashed are all better than IIIIII.

If Lucas decides to release updates of the prequels that remove Binx, fix Jake Lloyd's, Hayden Christianson's, and Natalie Portman's horrendous acting (though Ewan McGregor also had some moments that made me grin for the wrong reasons)... it's possible that I'd buy those. The original trilogy which we now own on DVD, we own strictly because our vhs copies went to shight.

Jinx
10-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I think the thing I understand the least about this change is, why wouldn't they remove Ben Kenobi and put in Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan? I mean, if you're going for their "young person" actor.

NorthernChaosGod
10-07-2012, 11:57 PM
I think the thing I understand the least about this change is, why wouldn't they remove Ben Kenobi and put in Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan? I mean, if you're going for their "young person" actor.

Probably just has to do with him returning to the Light side and that was his last form as a Jedi. Obi Wan never went bad. Or something, I don't know. That man is on crack.