PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters

Jinx
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Someone please explain this fad to me.

Also, what the fuck? You don't need glasses. Stop by fake glasses to wear so you can look cool. Those glasses aren't even cool. 1980s called, and said they hate you for exploiting their style when they had no choice in what frames they wore.

Goldenboko
10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I was a hipster before it was cool

Jinx
10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I was a hipster before it was cool

oh goddammit gobo

Denmark
10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
it's cool to pretend you're nonconformist by conforming to what everyone else is doing and saying you were doing it first

and someone has to drink all that Pabst Blue Ribbon

Miriel
10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't mind hipsters. The food/coffee at hipster joints is usually really good. Bring on the vegan kale salad and coffee served in ironic mugs with Mumford and Sons playing in the background. Oooh yeeaaah.

Rantz
10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I only mind hipsters when they get obnoxious about it to the point that it affects me. Besides that, hipster culture gets a big, fat *shruuuuuuuuug* from me.

TrollHunter
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Considering all my friends live in a giant college town, which is basically run by hipsters I have 2 positive things to say about them.
A) They're easy to make fun of, and it's quite enjoyable too.
B) Damn they can make some good food

Other then that though, yeah, I find them obnoxious since I have to deal with them near constantly.

Shorty
10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Wearing fake glasses when you don't need them is lamesauce.

kc calls me a hipster based on my musical preferences, but I don't mind :love:

Madame Adequate
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Hipsters are worse than literally any other thing in the universe and should all be forced to live in Newcastle.

Night Fury
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Hipsters are worse than literally any other thing in the universe and should all be forced to live in Newcastle.

Smurf off.

Laddy
10-01-2012, 09:35 PM
It's being an intellectual revolutionary while making C's. It's being a cultural outsider when you follow trends. It's being unique when you're surrounded by people like you.

Clo
10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm usually okay with a hipster until said person opens up their mouth and reveals the self as being painfully ignorant

Unbreakable Will
10-01-2012, 10:02 PM
It's being an intellectual revolutionary while making C's. It's being a cultural outsider when you follow trends. It's being unique when you're surrounded by people like you.
This. SO MUCH.

I personally think we should use them to manufacture some of that lovely Soylent Green, mmm-mmm they DO make good food! :manus:

Miriel
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm usually okay with a hipster until said person opens up their mouth and reveals the self as being painfully ignorant

I don't think this is a phenomenon limited to hipsters.

Parker
10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
i wish i was a hipster

krissy
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
i listen to soft folk rebellion songs by local artists and drink fair trade coffee at local coffee shops and i have tomato plants in the backyard

but i also eat meat and drive cars that use gas and i don't really participate in community gardens

WHAT AM I? :S

Unbreakable Will
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
i listen to soft folk rebellion songs by local artists and drink fair trade coffee at local coffee shops and i have tomato plants in the backyard

but i also eat meat and drive cars that use gas and i don't really participate in community gardens

WHAT AM I? :S
Mini-Hipster. :colbert:

Shorty
10-01-2012, 10:35 PM
hipster-in-training

Clo
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm usually okay with a hipster until said person opens up their mouth and reveals themself as being painfully ignorant

I don't think this is a phenomenon limited to hipsters.

Yeah, pretty much. :)

Madame Adequate
10-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Smurf off.

Don't worry, Psy will have already deported you all to the sun by that point :)

Night Fury
10-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Smurf off.

Don't worry, Psy will have already deported you all to the sun by that point :)

:(

NeoCracker
10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
You are all just in denial. Each and every one of us have at list a little hipster in our hearts.

Pike
10-02-2012, 01:30 AM
I am only a hipster when it comes to video games.

I don't have a problem with being a vidya hipster.

krissy
10-02-2012, 01:38 AM
i am actually interested every time that a niche subculture gets ragged on on the internets, a new one pops up every few years. we've been through the jocks (back in the olden days), the goths, the scene kids, the emos, etc.
i mean usually hate on the nets is pretty widespread and general, but sometimes there's this focus of energy pointed at a specific subculture and it's really interesting to see the arguments each time (they are not very different though)

krissy
10-02-2012, 01:39 AM
i am actually interested every time that a niche subculture gets ragged on on the internets, a new one pops up every few years. we've been through the jocks (back in the olden days), the goths, the scene kids, the emos, etc.
i mean usually hate on the nets is pretty widespread and general, but sometimes there's this focus of energy pointed at a specific subculture and it's really interesting to see the arguments each time (they are not very different though)

LOL WHAT A HPISTER
WHITE KNIGHTING YOUR OWN KIND
HAVE WE EVEN HEARD OF YOUR ROUND TABLE?

War Angel
10-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Hipsters are the lowest form of life on the planet. They are cultural parasites, leeching off the creativity and identity of others, and steal the various superficial attributes from each culture - without understanding or respecting anything about them.

So, you have hipsters with keffiyahs that they stole from Arabs, fake glasses that they stole from nerds, shirts and hairstyles that they stole from metal-heads or punk-rockers, pants that they stole from your sister and hats that they got from your grand-dad's gay buddy.

They end up looking utterly ridiculous and their smug, self-gratifying act doesn't do them any justice, either. Fortunately, they are always mentally and physically meager and can be dealt with, exerting little effort.

To conclude my point, I will say what must be said - hipsters should be killed with fire. They are a social contagion and if one of your friends turns, kill him with fire, too, before the disease spreads further.

Protect yourselves, protect society - abolish hipsterism.

krissy
10-02-2012, 01:55 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb3732jgUS1qapz3uo1_500.png

Unbreakable Will
10-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Pants that they stole from your sister
<a href="http://photobucket.com/images/laughing%20gif" target="_blank">http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/menageabro/brendanfraiserhahahaclap.gif</a>

Shiny
10-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I got called a Hipster once and I literally almost backhanded the person. BISH, whatchu think this is?!

With that said I don't hate Hipsters, I just know I hate being grouped into something I know I'm not. I don't even know why people call people Hipsters based on the way they dress. I thought it was there way of thinking more than anything that made them Hipsters?

Sephex
10-02-2012, 02:45 AM
I don't see the big deal. There are always a lot of dumb ass music based fads. I remember when people were complaining about emo people last decade. It will pass, and then a new annoying thing will replace it.

NeoCracker
10-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Hipsters are the lowest form of life on the planet. They are cultural parasites, leeching off the creativity and identity of others, and steal the various superficial attributes from each culture - without understanding or respecting anything about them.

So, you have hipsters with keffiyahs that they stole from Arabs, fake glasses that they stole from nerds, shirts and hairstyles that they stole from metal-heads or punk-rockers, pants that they stole from your sister and hats that they got from your grand-dad's gay buddy.

They end up looking utterly ridiculous and their smug, self-gratifying act doesn't do them any justice, either. Fortunately, they are always mentally and physically meager and can be dealt with, exerting little effort.

To conclude my point, I will say what must be said - hipsters should be killed with fire. They are a social contagion and if one of your friends turns, kill him with fire, too, before the disease spreads further.

Protect yourselves, protect society - abolish hipsterism.

That is SUCH a mainstream view of things.

Jiro
10-02-2012, 04:12 AM
I don't even understand the hate.

Tigmafuzz
10-02-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm fine with people that don't care about what others think about them and are proud of being unique.

I'm not fine with people who act like they're better than others because they think they're unique, or people that act condescending about things they supposedly know more about than others (which turn out to not really be that important, usually). Which I think is the main identifying mark of a hipster. There's the proud ignorance, the "I'm better than you because I know underground things" attitude, and the fact that a lot of the clothes/accessories/things they like (whether they're actually cool or not) aren't exactly a good idea to flaunt in public. For example, I like Mario too, but I'm not going to wear a 1up beanie and a Yoshi hoodie everywhere I go because I might run into somebody who may one day decide whether or not I get hired for something, and you never know whether or not that person has their own Mario bias (or even a general opinion on proper "public-friendly clothing") so I wear smurfing normal clothes and eat normal tasty smurfing food. And I don't act better than any "hipsters" just because I've realized that conforming to certain social norms is easier than fighting the ones that aren't worth fighting.

I can't put exactly what I'm thinking into words right now but my point is in there somewhere.

~*~Celes~*~
10-02-2012, 04:30 AM
The only two "hipsters" that I see on a regular basis totally fail at it. They wear the fake glasses but they don't even look cool, they look ridiculous. Just by looking at them you can tell they're TRYING to be hipster. >.>

Pheesh
10-02-2012, 04:32 AM
The music they listen to is just so BAD!

Jiro
10-02-2012, 04:36 AM
So what defines a hipster then? And how many of those criteria do you have to fulfil before you're deemed hipster enough to actually be a hipster? Because I don't fucking get it. I do things because I want to do them without trying to adhere to a cultural trend.

Tigmafuzz
10-02-2012, 05:04 AM
I do things because I want to do them without trying to adhere to a cultural trend.

Not understanding that principle is one of the main qualities required to be a true hipster.

krissy
10-02-2012, 05:17 AM
i dunno tig i only wear shirts to restaurants because of cultural trends
and believe me the whole world is missing out on theze gunz

Tigmafuzz
10-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Wearing shirts isn't a cultural trend, it's a social norm.

...Right?

krissy
10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
i dunno

tig let's just go get gyros and have a beer

wtf are we doing here wearing shirts

you're all welcome to join us guys

drotato
10-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Oh, you mean it's normal to wear shirts out in public...?

.... Well then.

Tigmafuzz
10-02-2012, 05:52 AM
tig let's just go get gyros pizza and have a beer

wtf are we doing here wearing shirts

Alrighty then :D

Oh, you mean it's normal to wear shirts out in public...?

NOT ANYMORE :jess:

drotato
10-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Oh good... I don't want to do anything too mainstream. :bigsmile:

NeoCracker
10-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I do things because I want to do them without trying to adhere to a cultural trend.

Not understanding that principle is one of the main qualities required to be a true hipster.

Kinda like how being a gamer requires you to be an overwieght virgin with a big neck beard! Am I right!

*goes for high five*

Araciel
10-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Fuck those fucking fucks.

Freya
10-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Sarah is a music hipster. Truf.

NorthernChaosGod
10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Ugh, hipsters.

Bubba
10-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I always thought I'd look like a hipster if I ever wore glasses. I was prescribed them recently and it turns out I don't!

I look like a pedo instead... as certain members will attest.

Shorty
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
listen man I am not the only one here who listens to animal collective

Pike
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
So what defines a hipster then? And how many of those criteria do you have to fulfil before you're deemed hipster enough to actually be a hipster? Because I don't smurfing get it. I do things because I want to do them without trying to adhere to a cultural trend.

Hipsters listen to music albums that have names like I Will Build a Rope Ladder to the Sun and Bring Orion Back to my Father's Grave.

Clearly.

Also by that definition I consider most of you who make music threads to be hipsters.

As for me, I have been called a videogame hipster on more than one occasion (including once on Facebook) and I embrace it.

Jinx
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

That's really your opinion. I like "hipster" music.

I always thought I'd look like a hipster if I ever wore glasses. I was prescribed them recently and it turns out I don't!

;)

No, you are not.

I just want to point out the reason I don't like hipsters--the pretentiousness. I've known a lot of them, and even dated one for two years. I'm sorry, just because I happen to like something "mainstream" does not make my opinion lesser than yours. It does not devalue something just because you don't think something's cool enough. Oh, wait. You finally decided to watch that show I told you about TWO YEARS AGO and now you love it? Well, obviously it's cool.

I don't like or not like something because I think I'm going to be judged for it. I like or don't like something because either like or don't like it. And from my experience, the hipsters I know look down on your for something that you like that the Hipster Memo being sent around said "YOU CAN'T LIKE THIS IT'S SUICIDE."

Also, just want to point out Hipsters aren't really a thing unto themselves. Going with stereotypes, there are arty hipsters, drama hipsters, christian hipsters, stoner hipsters, jock hipsters, nerd hipsters, etc. They don't necessarily all group together (although they do a lot.) Most hipsters I know are more like that guy in the group.

Slothy
10-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Liking good games does not make you a vidya hipster (in fact, if I'm not mistaken you thought Watch Dogs looked cool which is probably the most un-hipsterish thing you could say. PS, I thought it looked cool too). It just means you're not a dumbass.

krissy
10-02-2012, 03:31 PM
i think that

you could replace the word hipster with the word elitist in this thread

and a new reader wouldn't notice the difference

but would wonder why all the style and clothing pot shots are being taken alongside the opinionatedness comments

Jowy
10-02-2012, 03:40 PM
the man's got a point

and having refined musical tastes doesn't make one a hipster or a music snob!

Madame Adequate
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Liking good games does not make you a vidya hipster (in fact, if I'm not mistaken you thought Watch Dogs looked cool which is probably the most un-hipsterish thing you could say. PS, I thought it looked cool too). It just means you're not a dumbass.

Yeah I would say it's more like liking bad games just because they're not popular!

Slothy
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah I would say it's more like liking bad games just because they're not popular!

You don't like FFT so I'm not sure how much you know about either. :p

Rantz
10-02-2012, 06:48 PM
i think that

you could replace the word hipster with the word elitist in this thread

and a new reader wouldn't notice the difference

but would wonder why all the style and clothing pot shots are being taken alongside the opinionatedness comments

the man's got a point

and having refined musical tastes doesn't make one a hipster or a music snob!

Talking in lowercase, single line/sentence paragraphs and omitting punctuation is the hipsterest way to post on a message board.

Iceglow
10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
hipsters don't bother me, the biggest issue I have with hipsters is the issue of men in skinny fit jeans which show simply one thing; that man has no muscles in his entire body and the scallop cut necks that should only ever be worn by women full stop!

krissy
10-02-2012, 07:12 PM
do you mean v necks!?!?!

soooo hot if done properly

SNL Digital Short: V-Neck - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMUXOjDnI5k)

Jowy
10-02-2012, 07:20 PM
i don't need to impress any of you people!

Psychotic
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
I think I've reached the tipping point where people having a moan about hipsters are now more annoying than the hipsters themselves. Never going to top the "Being a Dickhead's Cool" video, just quit while you're ahead.

krissy
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
me and jowy and sharty are gonna go plant trees while listening to animal collective

the rest of you can talk about supernatural the tv show for all i care

Shorty
10-02-2012, 07:37 PM
don't forget your glasses bro, real or not

Denmark
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
video games are so mainstream

the internet is so mainstream

talking about things being mainstream is so mainstream

Iceglow
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
do you mean v necks!?!?!

soooo hot if done properly

SNL Digital Short: V-Neck - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMUXOjDnI5k)

No. V-necks are by definition V's they meet in a point. Scallop necks are like a U and hang low without being pointed and are most commonly found on women's tank/vest tops. I will also argue the V neck jumper without a t-shirt showing half the pectorals is anything but sexy or hot unless the person doing it has a body that can pull this off. This means the only men who should would be primarily gay and very muscled. Even then I wouldn't be impressed or enjoy it since I prefer the fairer sex.

TrollHunter
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM

That's really your opinion. I like "hipster" music.

;)

No, you are not.

I just want to point out the reason I don't like hipsters--the pretentiousness. I've known a lot of them, and even dated one for two years. I'm sorry, just because I happen to like something "mainstream" does not make my opinion lesser than yours. It does not devalue something just because you don't think something's cool enough. Oh, wait. You finally decided to watch that show I told you about TWO YEARS AGO and now you love it? Well, obviously it's cool.

I don't like or not like something because I think I'm going to be judged for it. I like or don't like something because either like or don't like it. And from my experience, the hipsters I know look down on your for something that you like that the Hipster Memo being sent around said "YOU CAN'T LIKE THIS IT'S SUICIDE."

Also, just want to point out Hipsters aren't really a thing unto themselves. Going with stereotypes, there are arty hipsters, drama hipsters, christian hipsters, stoner hipsters, jock hipsters, nerd hipsters, etc. They don't necessarily all group together (although they do a lot.) Most hipsters I know are more like that guy in the group.

Oh, thank you. A lot of people never seem to make the distinction that hipsters can be hipsters about really damn near any topic. They aren't as easy to identify as a lot of us wish

As someone said earlier, we all have a bit of hipster in us, hell I know I do. My hipster side has been trying to take over for years now.

But, also, psychotic makes a great point. I almost find the people who constantly moan and whine about hipsters more annoying than the hipsters themselves. My hipster friends have introduced me to a LOT of good music, and some good food as well. Though I never let them rant for long, I do check out the things they like (and even what they don't like) because it's usually something I haven't seen or heard of before.

While they are pretentious and usually naive, sometimes they do actually have good taste.

Madame Adequate
10-03-2012, 01:40 AM

You don't like FFT so I'm not sure how much you know about either. :p

Clearly I know a bad game when I see one, and I don't pretend to like it because it's less mainstream than the numbered FFs. Unlike SOME people :greenie:

Tigmafuzz
10-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Criticism of FFT (aka Final Fantasy meets Nobunaga's Ambition) should result in a permaban.

TrollHunter
10-03-2012, 03:42 AM
So anyone up for a crucifiction? MILF, will you be our kind guest?

Jiro
10-03-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm going to wear my glasses because they look good on me :colbert:

Jinx
10-03-2012, 04:23 AM
I'm going to wear my glasses because they look good on me :colbert:

I can't believe I used to think your glasses made you look hot. :(

Jiro
10-03-2012, 05:13 AM
It's a very hipster thing to change your mind on principles like that. Oh that looks good except hang on they aren't real that's SO HIPSTER GOSH HIPSTERS ARE SO UNCOOL.

You're just as bad :colbert:

Tigmafuzz
10-03-2012, 05:17 AM
It's better to enjoy something on principle than on aesthetics :doublecolbert:

Jiro
10-03-2012, 05:37 AM
And that is where the actual term elitist has to come into play. I mean really? Are you going to get a job where you hate your life every day and feel like what you do is wrong but do it anyway because "oh man prestige is great" or something? If you are not receiving some sort of actual positive feedback from whatever it is that you are doing/seeing/listening to and all of your "joy" is constructed because you think that's what everyone else thinks would be the objectively best thing is then I am so very sorry for you. Your life is going to be devoid of real joy.

EDIT: Let's expand because I'm in the arguing mood. You know that Civ series MILF and Pike love so much? Yeah, let's use that as an analogy.

I prefer Civ V. Blasphemous, I know. I prefer it to Civ IV because it is for filthy casuals. It's my entry point to the series; I find it much easier to grasp with fewer options to confuse me. It pleases me aesthetically.

On principle I should enjoy Civ IV more. But I don't. Should I claim that anyway? Should I lie and try to satisfy my own... what, insecurities? need to be popular? by claiming Civ IV is my favourite? No. Of course not. It might be objectively better but it doesn't have the same effect on me as it does to long time fans of the series. So I will happily enjoy my life with the clean conscience and aesthetic pleasure instead of trying to pander to some "ideal person" you all seem fascinated with. Up yours, elitist hobags :colbert:

Jiro
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
What is gouda? Never heard of it. I've only ever told one person my glasses were real and unless you're the guy in the salmon shirt then it ain't you :jess:

Shorty
10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Jiro can wear all the fake glasses he wants because he's still got swag like you would not believe.

Clo
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
The thing I hate the most about hipsters is that the style tells people that skinny-ass guys wearing flannel with pubic-hair-beards and non-prescription glasses is hot.

And they ride their bikes in front of my car. :colbert: I'm surprised I haven't killed one yet.

Pike
10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Guys stop telling Jiro to stop wearing glasses, they are sexy as smurf and so is Jiro and let's not ruin that beautiful lovechild

krissy
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
What is gouda?

:|

there is a lot of living we must do together my friend

Jiro
10-05-2012, 03:05 AM
I am eagerly anticipating it

Shiny
10-05-2012, 03:30 AM
I love men in glasses and v-necks. As long as it isn't an extreme deep v-neck baring their hairy pecs because that says "I'm Queer and I'm here" to me.

I listen to Duck Sauce and apparently that makes me hipster too. But by going by what someone listens to then I must be gangsta, punk, goth, weebo, hardcore, and a 40 year old (I listen to 70s music a lot) all rolled in to one. Okay, the gangsta thing is accurate.

milliegoesbeep
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
It's not really the hipster style that irritates me, it's the fake-ness. Why they have to pretend to care about environmental issues, fairtrade and things like that. If they were genuine people, I'd probably pat them on the back for making the effort. Urgh. Why does everything have to be a fad now?

krissy
10-05-2012, 05:38 PM
frick i've been outed

i only pretend to care about final fantasy :(

mostly i come here to wait for pix of rantz

Big Ogre Umaro
10-06-2012, 11:09 PM
There is no such thing as a hipster.

Araciel
10-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Mind=blown.

Criminally Vulgar
10-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Society gives us poor white skinny folk a chance to be cool and you want to take that away from us.

Cruel.

Old Manus
10-07-2012, 01:24 AM
I thought hipsters just pretend to be poor while their parents bankroll their flea-market wardrobe and Starbucks diet.

Raistlin
10-07-2012, 07:58 PM
There is no such thing as a hipster.

Well look who it is. This is less of an entrance than you usually make!

Jiro
10-08-2012, 04:56 AM
I thought hipsters just pretend to be poor while their parents bankroll their flea-market wardrobe and Starbucks diet.

Some of them are like this no doubt.