PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Event! Most unfortunate way to die!

Goldenboko
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Any fan of Final Fantasy II will be aware of the numerous deaths in this game. Indeed, characters drop dead faster than Steve Irwin in a tank of Manta Rays! There's more deathbed melodrama than an Italian funeral! And rightly, deserved, death is the theme of this event! :cool:

Participants, with the US Presidential debates so close, it seems only fitting that this event requires you to post an argument with who you think had the most unfortunate death of this game! A vague statement indeed! Your definition of unfortunate here could win or lose you this event! :jess:

Dat Rule List
This event shall by... myself! Suck-up commence. You'll have ~4-5 days to make your arguments. You may try to expose holes in other peoples arguments, I will read over the entire thread - however please make it clear where your team's official debate post is. Mark it with an underlined Team X's Argument, like so:

Team Goldenboko's Argument
CAP LOCKS MAKES IT TRUE! I IS RITE! I IS THE WINNER!

No name calling, one entry per team. Don't think I forget anything. Impress me :)

Jiro
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Let me just start by saying that Team FFX and Team FFIX are both villains masquerading as successful teams. They seek to undermine the integrity of this competition and as such you should discard their arguments before they are even presented Mister Goldenboko sir. A vote for Team FFVI's argument -- which will be delivered in due time and of the utmost quality -- will be a vote for truth, justice and a better tomorrow.

Quindiana Jones
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
No name calling, Jiro. Disqualify that man!

Formalhaut
10-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Is furiously researching on what actually happened during Final Fantasy II

Goldenboko
10-02-2012, 05:52 PM
No name calling, Jiro. Disqualify that man!

I will make it so. Disqualified.. from not participating!

Is furiously researching on what actually happened during Final Fantasy II

Uncle must do reseeeearch!

Quindiana Jones
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to look into it to. I've never played this game. xD

Shauna
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
There's a Final Fantasy II?

Jiro
10-03-2012, 04:47 AM
You just disqualified the only person who's even played the smurfing game :exdee: I didn't name-call anyway! I merely pointed out the inherent flaws in my other candidates! That is what one does in politics! You cannot reference the US Presidential Race and then disqualify me for perfectly legitimate tactics! God will strike you down for this one!

Goldenboko
10-03-2012, 05:05 AM
You just disqualified the only person who's even played the smurfing game :exdee: I didn't name-call anyway! I merely pointed out the inherent flaws in my other candidates! That is what one does in politics! You cannot reference the US Presidential Race and then disqualify me for perfectly legitimate tactics! God will strike you down for this one!

Jiro... look at my post more carefully Mr. Dude! If you can't see it, try quoting my post.

Jiro
10-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Team Final Fantasy VI's Argument
Click. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=N67zMay2JTM)

Let me tell you a tale, friends. A tale of heroes and villains, of victories and defeats. A tale of sacrifice for the greater good. This is the story of a man unlike any other, whose feats cemented him as a legend. This man is named Josef.

Born and raised in Salamand, Josef joined the Palamecian Empire as a soldier during his youth. He fought for them bravely, as any good soldier, until he began to question their motives. Steadfast with a moral compass made of gold, Josef fled the Empire with his dearly beloved in order to start a life of peace. Returning to Salamand, Josef and his wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Nelly Furtado, who would go on to become a singer.

Josef's love of adventure didn't end with his time in the Empire's ranks however; he built a snowsled and used it to cross the dangerous ice fields to the north, allowing him to carry out some spelunking in the famed Semitt Falls Cavern. Sadly, Josef's wife perishes some time later, leaving him a widower and the sole parent to young Nelly Furtado. They lived as peacefully as one can, always honouring the memory of that beautiful woman they both loved.

This is not where our story ends though, my friends. If it were, we would all be the happier for it. But nay, disaster strikes true when it comes from the hearts of wicked men. While Josef was away from Salamand one day, the Empire struck, seizing the entire male population of Salamand and Nelly Furtado to work in the Semitt Falls Cavern. Nelly Furtado was their insurance policy; the Empire knew Josef, a man of virtue and bravery, would never allow such things to pass. So they forced him to back down, his daughter's life the price for any heroics.

Fortune smiled upon him though, as three brave adventurers came to Salamand, seeking an item hidden deep within Semitt Falls. Josef accompanied them, offering to assist them in exchange for their help in saving his friends and family. The team swept through the cavern like mighty gods, slaying man and beast who dared try and stop them. Josef was magnificent, using only his fists in battle like a ferocious animal. Within an hour, the cave was cleared and the people rescued. The party made their way back to the entrance where Fate decided it would rear its ugly face.

Borghen, a wicked Palamecian general, confronts the party. Though he is defeated with ease, he triggers a trap with his dying breath, unleashing a giant boulder. With no time to react, the boulder is about to crush the party before Josef springs into action, leaping forward and holding the mass of stone and rock with his bare hands. He begs the party to flee, and to give his daughter his love. It is only due to Josef's sacrifice that the party is able to escape Semitt Falls before the boulder crushes poor Josef.

He was a man who was willing to give his absolute for strangers. He was a man who loved his family until the very last breath. And he was a man who did not let something as minor as death stop him. Oh no. Josef found himself in the afterlife and knew that his service to the greater good was not yet finished. Heaven had been corrupted, and Josef, along with the assistance of others, went forth to defeat the Light Emperor, sparing this ethereal domain from being controlled by evil once more.

Josef's story is one of bravery and sacrifice. His story is so profound that it has been repeated often, even appearing as an important lesson in Square Enix's Final Fantasy IX. Without the assistance of Josef, both the Light and Dark Emperor Palamecias would have conquered their respective domains and the world - physical and not - would have been cast into utter chaos. Josef is a hero. Josef is a father. Josef is the man.

Formalhaut
10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Nice to see Jiro went on regardless.

And hey I'm playing, I was just waiting to see how good the others were first, get some sort of idea on how to do mine. Thanks Jiro! :D

Quindiana Jones
10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Cheers Jiro. Just off to go rewrite my entire damn argument with a completely different person, you Oz :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :(

Formalhaut
10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Cheers Jiro. Just off to go rewrite my entire damn argument with a completely different person, you Oz :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :(

Jiro's also guilty of plagiarism? Instant disqualification!

Jiro
10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I wrote my argument before Quintin even knew who Josef was.

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
He was the only person I knew died! xD

Jiro
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Josef is supported by three others in his Soul of Rebirth journey. Would you like me to write an argument supporting them for you?

Formalhaut
10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Hang on with the deadline, I've spent so much time doing coursework and other school stuff that I haven't even started my essay. Please give time, it shall be done over the weekend hopefully.

Shauna
10-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Jiro should just debate with himself, tbh.

Jiro
10-05-2012, 07:13 AM
What team are you from, Shauna? I'll give you an argument to use against me :jess:

Shauna
10-05-2012, 10:14 PM
FFX, the team that you tried to defame. :|

Jiro
10-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Well you are doing well :colbert:

Formalhaut
10-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Team Final Fantasy XIII's Argument
Here goes, I hope this is half decent...

I am not here to debate whether or not any of these characters is worthy of being labelled as “great”. In my eyes, all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the Wild Rose Rebellion are a righteous hero in their own rights. Josef and the others certainly proved their undying devotion to the party when they sacrificed themselves, however I believe my candidate offers the fundamental edge because of the wisdom and enlightened thinking he offers Firion throughout their time together, and his name is Minwu.

Minwu hails from the mystic town of Mysidia, a town well known for the amount of power they possess. In fact, in one of the annals in the town library, it is said thus:

“Fearing that tremendous power they wielded might lead the world to destruction, the mages of old founded a settlement in Mysidia and dwelt there in seclusion."

Such power can often corrupt people, the Emperor being just one example, or perhaps Edea from Final Fantasy VIII. Not Minwu. No, Minwu used his tremendous magical capabilities for the forces of good, and to serve his master to the best of his ability. Minwu spent his days as a healer for the sick, perhaps the most noblest of professions. A white mage, Minwu served Princess Hilda, voluntarily assisting Princess Hilda to set up the Wild Rose Rebellion base in Altair. When he found Firion and his friends callously beaten by the Black Knights Minwu had no hesitation in helping mere strangers. While I believe Josef was a good man, he was at first cold and reticent towards the party, only helping when they freed his fellow Salamand villagers. Minwu has no such qualms; he assists the party from their first encounter.

One of my appeals to Minwu’s character is his understated sense of resilience. While he possesses great power he is humble in its display. Minwu is fully devoted to his newfound friends, and it makes his eventual death all the more tragic and unfortunate. Minwu is the epitome of loyal and devoted servant. He gives his own life in the breaking of the seal which holds back the ultimate tome, Ultima. He sacrifices his own life gracefully and without any second thought; Minwu truly fights for the greater good.

But his journey does not end in our world. Minwu later awakens in a mysterious passage that is similar to the Jade Passage. Traversing this strange new world with Prince Scott, he later encounters Josef and Ricard Highwind. It is here that he learns he is in the passage to heaven, known as Raqia. This is an important development; why is Minwu the first to awaken and therefore the first to be playable (Indeed, the walking sprite is that of Minwu)? For me, I believe this leads Minwu to be the main protagonist of this side story, which made his death more notable because it leads directly to the next chapter of his tale. Minwu is the most important character out of the alliance of four in “Soul of Rebirth”, and this leads me to believe his death is the most unfortunate.

To conclude then, Minwu may be a mere “temporary” character, but he is the only character whose death is a major blow to the party. Would Josef travel with the party after they leave his town? Would Leila accompany them throughout the game? Minwu is the character who you can trust to guide you through Pandemonium and back, and even if he is not actively part of your party, he is working behind the scenes to assist you. Minwu has also broken boundaries, being the first male white mage has vastly improved occupational gender relations. Because of Minwu’s groundbreaking rule, Noel from XIII-2 can be a medic without sniggers from closed minded peers. Likewise, Faris from Final Fantasy V can feel comfortable as a pirate cross-dresser and maintain a strong, serious, sword swinging archetype instead of the otherwise feminine magical ladies of old.

In short, Minwu’s death is perhaps the most unfortunate of all.

Goldenboko
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Entries for this are done, if I get a chance to think about this after all the prep I have to do before the exterminator comes tomorrow, I will announce the winner. If I don't it will be done by Friday night.

Formalhaut
10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
And the winner is... ( mine has more reputation, hint hint :riiight: )

Goldenboko
10-16-2012, 05:11 AM
It was close, I really loved both arguments! I was afraid I might be partial to Josef right away, his death being such a tragedy, however Formalhaut's Minwu argument was so compelling. And in the end this quote:

Minwu has also broken boundaries, being the first male white mage has vastly improved occupational gender relations. Because of Minwu’s groundbreaking rule, Noel from XIII-2 can be a medic without sniggers from closed minded peers. Likewise, Faris from Final Fantasy V can feel comfortable as a pirate cross-dresser and maintain a strong, serious, sword swinging archetype instead of the otherwise feminine magical ladies of old.

Had so much originality I had to give it to him! Good job Formalhaul, 20 points for Team FFXIII taking the gold. Team FFVI, takes silver, 10 points for them!

Jiro
10-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Congrats Formalhaut! I thought you wrote an excellent argument too. :D

Formalhaut
10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Ah thanks guys! I really loved doing this, even if I was slightly apprehensive with researching on a game I've never played. This means I'm a triple gold winner! :D:D:D:D:D

Goldenboko
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Ah thanks guys! I really loved doing this, even if I was slightly apprehensive with researching on a game I've never played. This means I'm a triple gold winner! :D:D:D:D:D

Probably means you should play and beat the game now ;)

Jiro
10-17-2012, 03:26 AM
At least play up until the bit where Minwu dies ;)