PDA

View Full Version : motherfucking shit rapists ye hoebag.

TabbyTrap
10-04-2012, 04:07 AM
So, Shayne and I have been having this arguement for years, and I want you and a few other forums to answer. He says curse words are awful and should never be said at any time. I respond that if he is going to say things like darn and dangit, then I should be able to curse since he is just replacing the curse words with other words, aka, hes still fucking cursing. If you could somehow convince the hole world to quite cold turkey, fine, but as it is, cursing helps relieve stress, and the only reason they are taboo is because people use them in such a way. A word is a word.

He then responds by reminding me of an incedent where I cursed in front of a 6 year old girl, and I say we've been over this, it was an accident.

Thoughts?
Cursing good or cursing bad?

Agent Proto
10-04-2012, 04:15 AM
He's cursing using replacement words. He just chooses not to say the actual curse words himself. There's nothing wrong with cursing, so I'd say it's good if you want to let out some steam.

Beowulf
10-04-2012, 04:17 AM
I curse all the fucking time.

Except around kids. Kids are so fucking impressionable that I don't want them to start cursing. The little fuckers.

Nah, I like kids.

But I curse like a sailor.

Shorty
10-04-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm usually on my best behavior if I don't know someone very well. Once that veil is drawn, though, it all comes out.

I usually forget to censor myself around kids.

Beowulf
10-04-2012, 04:27 AM
Honestly, I couldn't care less what people think of me.

If people don't like me because I curse? Fuck them. If people don't like that my sense of humor involves cursing, fuck them.

I'm so polite. Zzz.

The Man
10-04-2012, 04:34 AM
I usually don't use anything more severe than damn or hell at work, but apart from that I swear like a smurfing sailor.

fire_of_avalon
10-04-2012, 04:36 AM
There are many, many times that a swear word is the most appropriate word to use in a given situation.

There are also many, many times when a swear word isn't appropriate to use or its use is overwrought.

Knowing how and when to swear is an art. Dammit.

Denmark
10-04-2012, 04:40 AM
"gosh dangit" way more impact than "god dammit"

i have the dirtiest mouth when i'm driving. but i'm not too foul-mouthed when talking to people usually though most of the time

Tigmafuzz
10-04-2012, 04:48 AM
I'm able to filter myself around kids, because when I'm around children I'm pretty much a completely different person. But other than that, I spent a few months living with Marines, so I kinda let myself go once in a while without realizing it. Also,

Knowing how and when to swear is an art.

I don't see why people make a big deal about "swear words." You shouldn't be offended by swear words. Unless you're one of those people who wants to be offended by things, in which case fuck you and quit being a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about it.

Anyway yeah social constructs and blah blah

NorthernChaosGod
10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
Swearing is a perfectly legitimate way to communicate and the only people that don't like it are children. Using replacements is fucking stupid.

Jiro
10-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Words are just collections of letters. They're symbols, only imbued with meaning due to society. The word fu</>ck only has negative connotations because that is how it is perceived. If I were to say darn in a situation where I might have preferred to say fu</>ck but chose not to, I am still imbuing the word darn with the same connotations that fu</>ck would bring, only saving myself from outside judgement. It's all a matter of how offensive you appear to other people. It you still "curse" with unoffensive words, then you have to examine why you are doing that and decide whether your intentions are misguided. If everyone starts saying darn tomorrow then before long it will be the new naughty word.

do you know how hard it is to edit single words from my phone?! You can't go around the swear filter just to prove a point. You fix it, sir, or wait until I get home tonight.

Laddy
10-04-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm a surprisingly heavy curse word user, which you would never guess by my ordinarily calm demeanor. Ultimately, I'd say just go for it. Curse like a fucking maniac going batshit ass-crazy at those bitches. Hotdamn it feels pretty goddamn good.

See? It works in text too!

Citizen Bleys
10-04-2012, 06:42 AM
With the exception of the n-bomb, which only PG uses, every so-called "swear word" has approximately the same emotional weight as "criminy" did in the 19th century. If you're going to get pissy with someone for saying "piss," then you should get pissy with them for saying gosh darn.

That is, that's how it would be if the anti-swearing crowd made any sort of logical sense whatsoever, but they don't and never will, so meh.

Pike
10-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm too lazy to answer this in much depth because I just answered this in the thread we had on this topic a few weeks back :greenie:

Short answer: I never got in the habit of swearing so I don't do it very often. I say replacement words a lot, also by habit. If that makes me some sort of wuss and/or awful person in denial about the nature of language then so be it.

Chris
10-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I usually just do it.

Who actually wastes time thinking about whether or not they swore when they were negotiation a salary increase with the boss? :(

Mirage
10-04-2012, 12:15 PM
(Self) censored curse words aren't a bit better than actual curse words. Especially when it's done with bleeps like on TV. The only thing it accomplishes is drawing even more attention to the fact that there is swearing going on.

The worst part about american TV shows is the mother fcuking bleeps all the time.

They're just words. Who cares? I swear pretty regularly. I also use slurs for more or less any group of people pretty often, including groups I am part of.

I think people just need to calm the smurf down and stop caring about the exact words themselves, but instead the meaning behind the words in the current context.

Old Manus
10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Looks like he got over his brain tumour (thread mysteriously disappearing notwithstanding).

Mirage
10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Who had a brain tumor? What am I missing?!

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
A words practical meaning is determined by its context. Using damnit instead of shit when you stub your toe does not make you more polite: your word has exactly the same meaning.

TabbyTrap
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I can agree with not cursing in front of children and not just cursing because it makes you feel badass, but I see no reason they shouldn't be used when feeling strong emotions about something, they help you get the point across.

Unbreakable Will
10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I've been arguing this with Nikki for years. The tabooing of words is utterly ridiculous, it's a word folks it didn't run down the streets raping your churches and burning your women. It's bears with bulletproof vests that do that. :colbert:

Araciel
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
fucking ridiculous.

owait that was censored.

Christmas
10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I thought this thread is about raping, and I was like got so many exciting things to share and it turns out....:(

Pumpkin
10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't see why people make a big deal about "swear words." You shouldn't be offended by swear words. Unless you're one of those people who wants to be offended by things, in which case smurf you and quit being a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about it.

I am offended by swearing and I am offended by this post.

YOU offend me. :colbert:

Raistlin
10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm too lazy to answer this in much depth because I just answered this in the thread we had on this topic a few weeks back :greenie:

Short answer: I never got in the habit of swearing so I don't do it very often. I say replacement words a lot, also by habit. If that makes me some sort of wuss and/or awful person in denial about the nature of language then so be it.

The people who make a big deal about the use of "replacement" swears are just as silly as the people who make a big deal about swearing, period. They're just words.

I generally don't swear around family or in professional settings. Otherwise I will swear occasionally (though I don't consider "damn" and "hell" to be "bad" words).

The Man
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
With the exception of the n-bomb, which only PG uses, every so-called "swear word" has approximately the same emotional weight as "criminy" did in the 19th century. If you're going to get pissy with someone for saying "piss," then you should get pissy with them for saying gosh darn.

That is, that's how it would be if the anti-swearing crowd made any sort of logical sense whatsoever, but they don't and never will, so meh.

Basically this. There are a couple of other ethnic slurs that have somewhat more emotional weight than the average swear, and I can kind of understand why some people are offended by the c-word as well, but by and large most swears shouldn't be a big deal at all. The only reasons I avoid swearing at work are (1) management doesn't like it, (2) we have a lot of kids that come in, and (3) there are a lot of easily offended old people that come in as well. Though to be honest, even that doesn't make much sense since we display plenty of titles with blatant swearing on the covers.

Psychotic
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I usually don't use anything more severe than damn or hell at work, but apart from that I swear like a smurfing sailor.I... agree with Aaron Freed? Wow.

Mirage
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, of course. I do not consider trout, damn or hell to be very cursy words. I'd use them around my family no problem. Words that I avoid using around people I don't know are comfortable with it are far worse than that.

Shorty
10-04-2012, 06:31 PM
The c-word is just plain ugly and I hate it.

Quindiana Jones
10-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Shaddup y':bou::bou::bou::bou:. :p

Citizen Bleys
10-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Don't ever leave your country, then. Everyone but Canada and the US, it's used as often as "shit" or "damn."

Jinx
10-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Don't ever leave your country, then. Everyone but Canada and the US, it's used as often as "trout" or "damn."

That's how I say :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Denmark
10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
words i would say around my parents are ok in public (damn hell ass occasionally shit, it's like i'm rated PG-13)
words i would say around my friends are NOT ok in public

that's my policy

mixing curse levels is fun sometimes (http://xkcd.com/75/) WARNING LINK CONTAINS USAGE OF THE C-WORD

c-word's not really in my list of commonly spoken curses, fuck off

Shorty
10-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Don't ever leave your country, then. Everyone but Canada and the US, it's used as often as "shit" or "damn."

uuugh guess I'm not going to scotland next year

Agent Proto
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I like how this thread's url is uncensored.

Shorty
10-04-2012, 11:17 PM
oh dear xD

Faris
10-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I always ALWAYS unintentionally break the ice when it comes to swearing with new people.

Mirage
10-04-2012, 11:58 PM
You can break my ice any day, baby.

Tigmafuzz
10-05-2012, 12:25 AM
I think I'm always the first to break the ice on swearing, too. But it's usually really casual conversation so it's not like anyone cares.

G13
10-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I think I sound less intelligent when I swear. It sounds forced, Srh can attest to that. And then I filter myself with "What the eff" and it sounds even worse, so I just say balls and tits. If I'm going to sound unintelligent might as well make a few people do a double take.

Everyone has their opinions on what makes a curse word, and everyone settles on words they deem okay to use in polite conversation. If you're censoring yourself, even if it's just replacing "fuck that" with "screw that", it has the same effect and everyone knows what you're getting at, so there's really no harm done, unless of course you're talking with a person that thinks saying "crap" is bad too. *shrug*

Shorty
10-05-2012, 12:56 AM
You just look so nice and sweet that foulmouth language doesn't suit you!

G13
10-05-2012, 01:06 AM
It's easier to type swear words. You don't see the surprised look on my face when I forget what I'm saying and manage a "fffffffffuck?"

Iceglow
10-05-2012, 01:50 AM
A words practical meaning is determined by its context. Using damnit instead of shit when you stub your toe does not make you more polite: your word has exactly the same meaning.

This.

However I swear like I'm the entire fucking navy, army and airforce to be sure so fuck that shit and just let me fucking get on with it. I find it really hard to do my job all day without uttering a single solitary swear word over the phone.

Pike
10-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I am going to start using the word "smurf" in everyday conversation

No the forum didn't edit that. I mean, actually, smurf.

NorthernChaosGod
10-07-2012, 02:45 AM
What the smurf, Pike. What the smurf.

Tigmafuzz
10-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I actually have done that before on accident. Plus I almost said "trout" really loud when I stubbed my toe the other day.

I'm going to start saying them on purpose now just because I know it will eventually annoy someone.

Jiro
10-07-2012, 09:52 AM
I am going to start using the word "smurf" in everyday conversation

No the forum didn't edit that. I mean, actually, smurf.

another one joins the gang

Raistlin
10-07-2012, 07:33 PM
But if smurf becomes a new swear word, won't we have to censor it on EoFF?

Jiro
10-08-2012, 05:29 AM
we'll have to censor it to fu</>ck :confused:

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm very disappointed in you, Jiro.

Unbreakable Will
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
When I first joined EoFF I ended up saying smurf instead of the f word at times, I think I even made a thread but I'm too lazy to look.
:kakapo:

Loony BoB
10-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I swear very often, which people from EoFF are often surprised at when they meet me. I don't mind swearing, but I have complete respect for people who prefer not to hear swear words and do my best not to swear around them. I find that there are certain situations where you should not swear, and am perfectly capable of stopping myself in those situations.

People who go around saying "It's harmless to swear! It's just a word!" should be promoting the idea of everyone walking around naked and shitting in toilets without walls. I mean, it's harmless, right?

Yes, it's harmless, but it doesn't mean it's polite or respectable.

Don't ever leave your country, then. Everyone but Canada and the US, it's used as often as "trout" or "damn."
That definitely isn't the case (how often have you travelled outside of North America?). Well, maybe 'damn' because people don't say that often. But shit and fuck are used far more often. People use both of these at work regularly. They do not use the word Sarah referred to. It does get said every now and then, though... I have used it but I don't like it, so yeah. When in NZ, it was used extremely rarely, I probably heard it about once every few months.

In fact, the person who uses it by far more than anyone I know here in Scotland is an American. By far. Guy freakin' loves the word.

Lonely Paper Star
10-09-2012, 02:02 AM
I swear a lot around frends. I try not to use improper language when I'm around family or people I don't know well. Or around people of authority.

At times I don't even say names of things properly. I'll end up saying something like, "Are you assholes going to Jack in the Dick?" or "smurf, I'm playing Skydick right now." Yeah, my friends' dick usage rubbed off on me.... smurf is the one I use most, though.

I laughed at a few of my friends who said "crud" instead of "crap," though. Does "crap" even count?

Citizen Bleys
10-09-2012, 02:59 AM
In fact, the person who uses it by far more than anyone I know here in Scotland is an American. By far. Guy freakin' loves the word.

You know Kevin Smith?

Jiro
10-09-2012, 03:09 AM
I shouldn't be surprised that most of the bogan australians are too drunk, uneducated and only scraping by on their dole cheques to be unable to travel overseas. Plus they're racist.

NorthernChaosGod
10-10-2012, 06:16 AM
People who go around saying "It's harmless to swear! It's just a word!" should be promoting the idea of everyone walking around naked and troutting in toilets without walls. I mean, it's harmless, right?

You see a lot of old man balls/dick at the gym because they simply don't give a smurf. Let me tell you though, that's far from harmless.

And pooping all over the place is unhygienic. :colbert:

Jiro
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Yeah I think your analogy falls a little bit flat there Loony BoB.

Iceglow
10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
No I think his analogy was just a steaming pile of fucking shit.

Loony BoB
10-10-2012, 09:04 AM
People who go around saying "It's harmless to swear! It's just a word!" should be promoting the idea of everyone walking around naked and troutting in toilets without walls. I mean, it's harmless, right?

You see a lot of old man balls/dick at the gym because they simply don't give a smurf. Let me tell you though, that's far from harmless.
Seeing something you don't want to see is no more harmless than hearing something you don't want to hear. It's how you interpret it that counts. Just like gestures in some countries are fine, while the same gesture in another country can be offensive. You have to show respect to who you are with.

And pooping all over the place is unhygienic. :colbert:
That's true, but it's not a big deal in some cultures. More to the point, though, I said pooping in a toilet without walls. There would still be a toilet. It would just be in the middle of a park or something, with no walls around it. There would obviously be a sink and soap and all that. Hygiene is important.

All I'm saying is that people who are all "It doesn't hurt anyone!" need to remember that there are a lot of things that don't hurt them that they still probably don't want to see/hear etc. and it's nice to be respectful of that.

Mirage
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Why should I promote the idea of troutting in a toilet without walls? I'm not promoting swearing everywhere either, i'm promoting "not caring about it when people do it".

Furthermore, yeah, i think it would be unproblematic if people walked around naked everywhere. As long as they would be able to keep 100% of their waste products contained at all times. Why do you think underwear usually gets smelly faster than jeans? It's not just because of sweat.

tl;dr
make better arguments, bob :D

Loony BoB
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
make better arguments, bob :D
They are merely analogies, the point remains the same. :D And anyone who knows me knows that my analogies don't get more and more sensible, they get more and more extreme!

Jiro
10-11-2012, 12:07 AM
So what you just take the cubicles out of the bathrooms and still have the loo there? Well then it would be unpleasant but w/e. Deal with it. Don't use public bathrooms.

Mirage
10-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah. If you don't like noncubicled public restrooms, go somewhere else.

Sort of like "if you don't like swearing, listen to someone else".

Jiro
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM
At the same time if someone is swearing at the top of their voice and the whole world can hear them I will punch them for being obnoxious and then continue to go elsewhere

Mirage
10-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes. I like to perform acts of violence on people who practice their free speech too. We should hang out.

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't mean speech without social repercussions. Punches to the throat are a manifestation of those repercussions.

Mirage
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds more like battery to me. However, the offended person instead stopped talking to the person, or told their friends that the person was an unlikable guy, that's more of a social reprecussion.

Jiro
10-13-2012, 12:52 AM
They can't talk if I punch them in the throat so I think it would be seen as social justice.