PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning that fridge out

Shorty
10-05-2012, 01:23 AM
How long will you leave something in the fridge before you toss it out? How much time has to pass before it's in the "not okay to eat" zone? Are you a "no leftovers" person? And be honest, you'll drink from the carton when it expired yesterday. We know you do.

There is a shit ton of chips and salsa, guacamole and sour cream here and my boss absolutely does not want to store it in the fridge overnight for any reason whatsoever. It could completely be saved but she's a "no leftovers" person and all of it is going to go to waste :aimmad:

Additionally, discuss fridge horror stories.

Jowy
10-05-2012, 01:29 AM
that's a sell by and not an expiration date...rollin the dice all day every day.

the mostly empty pitcher of kool-aid has been in the back of my fridge for about three months. in the mini-fridge upstairs i have one half-full can of pepsi that is probably flat and disgusting by now.

Jinx
10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
How long will you leave something in the fridge before you toss it out? How much time has to pass before it's in the "not okay to eat" zone? Are you a "no leftovers" person? And be honest, you'll drink from the carton when it expired yesterday. We know you do.

There is a trout ton of chips and salsa, guacamole and sour cream here and my boss absolutely does not want to store it in the fridge overnight for any reason whatsoever. It could completely be saved but she's a "no leftovers" person and all of it is going to go to waste :aimmad:

Additionally, discuss fridge horror stories.

Take the leftovers home for yourself!

Also, the date on milk is Sell By, not expiration. You usually have about a week after the sell by date.

I will eat food for about 3-4 days, depending on what it is.

Also, can not say how many containers I've had to throw out because it was so green. >.>

EDIT: Well, boy howdy, Jowy beat me to the punch.

Iceglow
10-05-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm generally someone who doesn't notice the milk has gone off until it's like fucking cheese in the bottle. probably because I consume so little of it. I've taken to buying single pint bottles at a time just to prevent the large amount of waste and I get pretty annoyed when the local supermarket is sold out of single pint bottles. As for food like meat? Well honestly so long as you cook it well and the meat is not completely rancid you'll be fine, same sort of thing with cheese, cut the mold off and you're good to go how else do you think they mature cheeses?

~*~Celes~*~
10-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I am very paranoid about eating food passed date :( I try not to hold onto things too long, if I have leftover dinner I try to eat it the next day for lunch (or breakfast if it's pizza).

Christmas
10-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Monday

http://pictures.4ever.eu/data/674xX/fun/animals/%5Bpictures.4ever.eu%5D%20rats%20in%20fridge%20135261.jpg

Tuesday

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOZV089L55h7rx_XPqUGmU9Fohx8Cf-9GE3C2tqPv4zJn0k8r__g

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-JkS2s2fxxcku_9WT3TSyWEIY7Dej_-3IL2UVQ37hnrMZgMsGWPIAylcwew

Saturday

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc1iwo7ybo2L2QVOV8sgsNZKPnu011DYxmL-75dl0kZfuCUrrs

Sunday

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/green/fridge%20freezer%20graveyard.jpg

Denmark
10-05-2012, 01:59 AM
eat your food before it goes bad!!!

any post anyone does pales in comparison to christmas :(

Shorty
10-05-2012, 02:20 AM
good lord what the fuck happened on saturday

I took some home but these were catering-sized containers :(

Christmas
10-05-2012, 02:31 AM
http://www.cfox.com/Pics/alaina/FN_BloodyFridge_09_01.jpg

Jiro
10-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Food is thrown out once it goes bad, if it lasts that long.

Tigmafuzz
10-05-2012, 02:43 AM
We burn through $120 of food like nothing so Sarah goes to the store every two weeks to refill the fridge which is always almost completely empty by the second Saturday. I guess I'll have to be doing that from now on :(

Also, having been on the street and living in abandoned houses at different times in my life, I don't think you all would appreciate my refrigerator "horror stories."

Shorty
10-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Why don't you share them anyway, for entertainment's sake.

Tigmafuzz
10-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Small example: raiding a pantry in an abandoned house for canned goods and randomly deciding to check the fridge for some reason leading to me throwing up and having the image of a dead raccoon ballooned up and covered in blood and maggots stained in my mind forever. Horror level: 3/10 on my shitty experiences scale.

Unbreakable Will
10-05-2012, 03:28 AM
I used to have a tendency to keep things too long, resulting in many a fridge horror tale. Although on the other hand I would/will not abide spoiled milk in there, that shit is disgusting beyond all else... fridge-wise.

Shiny
10-05-2012, 03:34 AM
A fridge was in the shower. Not particularly horrifying but insanely confusing.

Faris
10-05-2012, 04:11 AM
We cleaned out my deaf and blind grandmother's fridge once. Oh dear god. Most things had mold all over, condiments were 2-5 years expired, everything in the freezer had mold or frost bite on it. There was really random shit in there that I can not even describe.

Tigmafuzz
10-05-2012, 04:58 AM
A fridge was in the shower. Not particularly horrifying but insanely confusing.

http://i.imgur.com/zLVyn.jpg

Clo
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I once left a tupperware thing of beef-and-pasta in the fridge for a few months, and it started looking like the surface of a distant planet.

I also once left a slice of pizza in the microwave because I walked away, stoned, and forgot it existed. That little motha had some nasty circle of green/white funk growing on it a week later.

I might be a gross person. :sweatdrop

Pumpkin
10-06-2012, 02:16 AM
I clean out the fridge every Saturday. I check the leftovers and foods that might expire to see if they're still good. I don't usually check the sell by date because sometimes stuff goes bad before the date and sometimes it lasts a while after. I usually go by look and smell.

Rantz
10-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I also go by the rational thought approach. And I am also horrified at some of my coworkers' wastefulness. :(

I Took the Red Pill
10-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't have any fridge horror stories, but once, quite recently actually, I cooked some rice in my rice cooker, but left a small amount in there for "later". I forgot all about it and opened up the cooker a month later to see the most vile mold colony thriving and sending spores into the air. The subsequent smell almost made me vomit. I've never experienced anything like that where a smell actually almost caused me to puke. It was unreal.

So, to get rid of it, I sat down with a spoon and dug into that glorious green/purple mass. Not really though

Bubba
10-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty good at making sure nothing goes off in my fridge. Though to be honest, cans of beer don't go off very quickly.

My ex-flatmate used to keep dried spaghetti in the fridge. No idea why.

Raistlin
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm usually pretty good about throwing things away. Not by the "sell by" date, but certainly when it starts to go bad. I don't have any personal horror stories that are too bad (besides the usual little mold on cheese or bread or some smelly milk that I quickly threw out), though my friend recently told me that she discovered cheese in her boyfriend's fridge dated years ago. Gross.

I also don't understand people who refuse to eat leftovers.

I also once left a slice of pizza in the microwave because I walked away, stoned, and forgot it existed. That little motha had some nasty circle of green/white funk growing on it a week later

You didn't use your microwave for a week? xD

milliegoesbeep
10-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I despise leftovers. Old food? No thanks.

I guess I'm wasteful but I don't see why you'd buy a meal too large for you to eat anyway, so to me that's a waste in itself. That, and I have a lovely, clean and organised refrigerator and I like to keep it that way.

Araciel
10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I let things go a couple of days after the printed date... Also if something is bad/expired, ill leave it in the fridge til garbage day.. No need to stink up thE garage

Lonely Paper Star
10-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Once, when I was in the dorm, I drank milk from the fridge on its "SELL BY" date and it tasted rancid. Since then, I've been paranoid about throwing milk out. 8(

Night Fury
10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I share a fridge, so every week when I do my shopping I clean out my food that isn't going to get eaten. I usually eat all my shopping, bar a few things that go off, but I'm pretty good :D

Can't say the same for my housemate though. The smurfing tramp.