PDA

View Full Version : Underappreciated FF Characters

Evastio
10-05-2012, 01:31 AM
So what FF Characters do you think don't get enough appreciation? (From a character perspective, not a usefulness perspective)

Minwu definitely comes to mind. His devotion to the rebellion, his mysterious yet noble looking get-up, his sage like wisdom, and his sacrificial personality (especially with his SoR line "We chose to die. But we did so that others may live.") really should earn him more fans than he currently has.

Cecil also comes to mind, seeing how he gave up everything (his home, his rank, his lifestyle) to do the right thing. His quest for redemption and the forgiveness that he struggles to give to Golbez really made him an involving and dynamic character.

Christmas
10-05-2012, 02:36 AM

Del Murder
10-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Quina!

Laddy
10-05-2012, 05:03 AM
-Minwu
-Cecil
-Terra
-Celes
-Freya
-Quina
-Lulu
-Basch

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Honestly most of the characters mentioned in this actually have their fan bases so I wouldn't call them underappreciated. I would argue characters like Edward, Tellah, Gordon, Reina, Relm, Strago, Cait Sith, Amarant, and Penelo would be more of the underappreciated. Largely cause most of them get a lot of unnecessary hate from the fandom or get overlooked for more popular characters when they are pretty badass and often really good characters.

maybee
10-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Celes Chere.

Everybody remembers and knows about Terra thanks to her being in Dissidia, but Celes is ten times better. She's braver, stronger, more heroic, and more everything.

Also Edward FF 4 . I feel like I'm the only one who loves him. :cry:

Night Fury
10-05-2012, 09:27 AM
QUISTIS.

Quindiana Jones
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Huh, never knew about Minwu being a character in FFII. He's referenced in FFIX, under Gizamaluke's Bell Key Item, right? I can't believe I'm still learning about new references. xD

Anyway, I agree with Amarant being unappreciated. People typically don't like him because he's practically a non-canon character xD.

Gamblet
10-05-2012, 11:47 AM

I saw that coming.

Chris
10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I actually agree about Quistis. Sure, she doesn't really do anything or serve any real purpose, but I think she's a chipper, kind and stern woman.

I have to mention Ghido. He is quite possibly my all-time NPC. Who doesn't love an ancient, sarcastic, turtle?

Love his "relationship" with Bartz. :D

"It's all right, it's all right. No lasting damage. Physically, anyhow".

"You should be, boy, picking on defenseless turtles."

"It seems there is quite the echo in here..."

"Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them."

"Sometimes I wonder if you say things like this to spite me."

"I fear no matter how often I allude to your ignorance, my dry wit just goes over your head..."

Karifean
10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Tidus. I still don't get why people have so much trouble with him.

Pete for President
10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Kimahri too. It's quite a leap for a game designer to suggest to the team: "how about we make one of the main party members not talk for half the game?". That takes guts, dammit! Show some respect :greenie:

Shorty
10-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Irvine. Don't know why he gets so much hate. :colbert:

Jinx
10-06-2012, 02:09 AM

Cos he's fucking gorgeous, and people are jealous.

The only good thing to come out of that game, imo.

Chris
10-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Irvine is like an empty calzone. Looks delicious on the outside, but empty when you slice through it. :colbert:

Shorty
10-07-2012, 01:30 AM
No way, man, I so prefer his guns to say, Zell's fists. also TB is correct, he is gorgeous.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Tidus. I still don't get why people have so much trouble with him.

Probably because he's a whiny bitch who is more butthurt about his daddy not hugging him enough as a child than the revelation that he doesn't exist.:p

charliepanayi
10-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I'd be pretty whiny if I had a complete git for a father too. And like with Squall and Cloud, Tidus is nowhere as emo/whiny as many people make out.

As for underappreciated characters, Quina, Amarant and most of the FFVIII cast.

Raistlin
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
No way, man, I so prefer his guns to say, Zell's fists.

What about Zell's Fists of Fury?

I would agree with WK about Tidus; to the extent that he is appreciated at all, he is overappreciated.

Cait Sith was the first character that came to mind as underappreciated. Quina is a good one, too.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I'd be pretty whiny if I had a complete git for a father too.

See, Jecht wasn't a git, his parenting style was just a lot of tough love. The flashbacks from his point of view or anyone not Tidus pretty much showed he actually cared for him, he just wanted to toughen the kid up. His whole scenario is basically a 40 hour long "A Boy Named Sue" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTW_-C014o).

Shorty
10-08-2012, 01:12 AM
No way, man, I so prefer his guns to say, Zell's fists.

What about Zell's Fists of Fury?

:colbert:

Raistlin
10-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I'd be pretty whiny if I had a complete git for a father too.

See, Jecht wasn't a git, his parenting style was just a lot of tough love. The flashbacks from his point of view or anyone not Tidus pretty much showed he actually cared for him, he just wanted to toughen the kid up. His whole scenario is basically a 40 hour long "A Boy Named Sue" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTW_-C014o).

Yeah, they basically did the same thing with FFXIII and Hope's father. According to Hope, his father was the most horrible person in the world. The reality was very different.