PDA

View Full Version : May as well have talked to a wall

Night Fury
10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
... TWO WHOLE DAYS after I mention to the housemates "we need to cut down on our energy usage"

One of them has smurfing left the radio on after going upstairs.

I may as well have spoken to the wall as I'd have gotten more of a response.

milliegoesbeep
10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I know how that feels. I moved back home for my mother's benefit and she'll leave lamps on, radio and TV on. You name it.

It irritates the crud out of me.

Psychotic
10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I used to talk to walls, it was great fun. Then one time a wall talked back to me. I... I don't talk to walls anymore.

Faris
10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Talking to walls won't do any good because they don't have ears. That's why nothing is going to change for you m'dear.

Jiro
10-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Leave rotting food under their beds.

Peegee
10-07-2012, 04:02 PM
This is why when it comes to interpersonal relationships I appeal to utilitarianism.

Set the entire house on fire. You'll find that the problem sorts itself out very quickly.

Araciel
10-07-2012, 04:04 PM
When living with others, the only solution is to live in an 'all inclusive' rental situation.

Goldenboko
10-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I know that feel. But it's meh, gotta live with people you love or they'll be people you hate pretty fast.

~*~Celes~*~
10-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Talking to my family really isn't much better. When my mom first got her dog and she was having trouble getting her to go outside instead of in the house, i offered what I thought was a decent solution at the time, and she agreed that it was a good idea....then turned around and always had an excuse why she couldn't do it. And continued to complain about her dog going in the house. -_-

Jiro
10-08-2012, 04:24 AM
you should throw the radio outside and then set the waster on fire. fire solves everything. except pipes. you need a plumber to fix pipes.

Tigmafuzz
10-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Shorty.

rubah
10-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Put a watt usage calculator on your items then charge them for the difference

Iceglow
10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Simply increase their share of the energy bill then when they ask about it be all "Well, you can't switch things off you're going to have to pay more"

Shorty
10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Shorty.

I pretend like you're a wall when you talk to me.

Sephex
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
My favorite scene in Final Fantasy VIII is when Squall tells Quistits to go talk to a wall because he fails to realize that he is making a perfect humorous commentary on his character.

Denmark
10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Quistits

Loony BoB
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
That's weird, I thought girls want to talk to walls. Because whenever they rant about a problem and I actually talk back, providing them with a solution, they don't like it. Apparently that's not what they want. They just want someone to sit there while they talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and oh my God I

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I find that in my parent's house the television in the living room seems to be on 24 hours a day. Even if no one is in there. I think they just like the background noise, honestly. Some people feel almost too alone when there isn't a noise to be heard.

Whenever I'm here alone I shut everything off that I'm not using, except for the computers. A futile effort. Whenever someone gets home the first thing they do is turn on the tv, even if they go and do something else right afterwards.

Chris
10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Put a watt usage calculator on your items then charge them for the difference
That is a very good idea. You should totally do that, and enjoy their agonizing moaning when the bill is due.

Big D
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
I once had a flatmate who turned down the hot water thermostat to counter the energy he wasted by leaving his computer on all the time. As the person who got up and showered at the earliest, coldest time of day, I was less than 100% pleased.

Clo
10-08-2012, 09:28 PM
That's weird, I thought girls want to talk to walls. Because whenever they rant about a problem and I actually talk back, providing them with a solution, they don't like it. Apparently that's not what they want. They just want someone to sit there while they talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and oh my God I

HEY, EVERYBODY, WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH WOMEN? AMIRITE?

Tigmafuzz
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Shorty.

I pretend like you're a wall when you talk to me.

Only reinforcing my point. :<3:

Loony BoB
10-08-2012, 11:36 PM

HEY, EVERYBODY, WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH WOMEN? AMIRITE?
I KNOW!!!

Clo
10-09-2012, 12:13 AM
And airports, what's up with those? Rite? Rite?!

Night Fury
10-09-2012, 12:22 AM

I have to agree with this a bit.
Another of my housemates always talks to me about her boyfriend troubles, and I used to assume she was after some advice. SO I would offer her my opinions and advice, and then she'd often take offense and throw it back in my face; "Well I'm gonna do x and y anyway, I am who I am, I do what I want"

So now I just pretend to listen to her, and tell her what she wants to hear, as opposed to giving her honest, sensible advice.

"YES! go and sleep with your ex boyfriend it will make you feel ten times better!"

Jiro
10-09-2012, 03:17 AM
I'd just zone out and be like "oh you were talking?"

Tigmafuzz
10-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Those are the kinds of females I try very hard not to associate myself with, so I seldom have any problems like that.

Rantz
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
People who won't take a second to listen and consider other perspectives pretty much suck. Borrowing someone's ear for a while is perfectly fine, though, and it's fine not to be looking for solutions. Although that should probably be made clear early on in the conversation, and of course you should respect if someone doesn't want to hear your rants and not automatically pass them off as an asshole.

What am I saying? I mean... boys r00lz, girls dr00lz!!

Pike
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I zone out of basically all conversations unless we're talking about games or something

Old Manus
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Leaving the radio on for a few hours extra a month is going to cost you a miniscule amount.

Jiro
10-13-2012, 12:54 AM
It's american though. Everything of theirs runs inefficiently.

fire_of_avalon
10-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Men and women do approach problems differently. Or shall I say people who communicate like males and people who communicate like females. Male communicators are socialized to resolve problems while female communicators are socialized to discuss the emotional states caused by those problems. Not that they don't solve them, they just want to vent at you.

What I'm saying is you should be a foa communicator and kick your roommate in the teeth.