PDA

View Full Version : Introducing people to the series

Jinx
10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Final Fantasy is a name gamers know well (despite their opinion of the series itself.) Thanks to the structure of Final Fantasy, it's a series that can attract a lot of people--gamers and non-gamers a like. The gameplay is a style that doesn't take much effort, the stories are usually engaging, the characters interesting and relatable.

If you were to introduce someon to the series, what game would you have them game? What game, to you, captures the essence of the Final Fantasy franchise?

For me, I'd say FFVII, despite my favourite of the series be FFIX. There's so much to do, and the game is MASSIVE. With hidden optional characters, tons of sidequests, tons of hidden areas, lots of optional bosses, mini-games...there's plenty to keep someone involved and wanting to invest more time.

The game has a lot of humour, and a really interesting twisty story despite its flaws. The materia system is fun, as is the satsifactopn of getting a new limit break!

FFVII was the first FF game I played, and made me a life-long fan. I feel if I had friends play this, they'd enjoy it just as much, despite old graphics.

Del Murder
10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah, probably VII. It was the introduction for many fans and that seemed to work out well.

Formalhaut
10-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, probably VII. It was the introduction for many fans and that seemed to work out well.

Chris
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
FFVII for many obvious reasons, but I would also have to say FFVI. FFVI is old-school Final Fantasy, and it has many of the elements Final Fantasy is known for. Also, it is relatively easy, so it won't frustrate newcomers. It's 2D though, and that might put off some people. But come on, if that puts you off, you will never truly experience what Final Fantasy is about, and where it all started.

So, FFVII and FFVI.

Raistlin
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I would have to agree with FFVII, despite it not being my favorite in the series.

Jiro
10-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Final Fantasy VII is clearly the only choice. I would say VIII or IX, except they are not as visually appealing after all this time. VII has a somewhat larger "timeless" look to it, while not being sprites (which might turn these new players off a little). Final Fantasy X has a different and somewhat more complex battle system which might turn people away, despite a rich storytelling experience. It also wouldn't represent the rest of the instalments well; it's too different what with its lack of world map and heightened linearity.

Levian
10-08-2012, 01:10 PM
If they're not familiar with RPG's at all, I'd have them start with FFX, as I personally think it's the easiest one to get into, both storywise and game mechanics. If they're familiar with RPG's I'd point them directly towards the best entry, which is clearly FFIX. ;)

Bubba
10-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Predictably, I'm gonna go with VII too. I've introduced a few of my friends to the series by forcing them to play this game.

Pike
10-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Bucking the trend here but honestly I've introduced more people to FF via FFVI than any of the others. But I think the people I know tend to be more "oldschool" gamers, so to speak. (And yes, some of them have somehow not played FF before.)

Fynn
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I would go with either VI or VII, since they're two of the easiest and also most involving games in the series. In the past, I would've said IV, since that was my first FF (besides Mystic Quest :D), but I guess gaming tastes have changed too much for it to still be the case.

black orb
10-21-2012, 06:45 AM
>>> Problably FF7.
To make it even easier just make them watch Advent children..
After that they will waste money on expensive Cloud and Sephiroth action figures, and with any luck they will buy a FF game and play it..:luca: