PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Gaming

Wolf Kanno
10-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Since it's October and I love Halloween, I decided to use this as an ecuse to play two games on my backlogs that I really need to get around to. So to make the month creepier, I've decided to play Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame for the first time. Anyone else thinking about playing some survival horror or gothic horror style games this month? :D

Jiro
10-08-2012, 06:19 AM
I hadn't thought of it but I might give it a shot. Good excuse I suppose!

Fynn
10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
My fiancée and I did this last year with our first playthrough of Silent Hill and it was awesome :D Here in Poland we celebrate All Saints' Day on the 1st of November - it's a day off from work and school and everybody goes to the cemetary (and it is a sight to behold, since everybody leaves lanterns on the graves) - so after starting to play the game on Halloween, we went to a cemetary the next day and it was really awesome - the atmosphere is hard to describe in words :p So yeah, this year we plan to do the same only with Silent Hill 2 ;)

Bubba
10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I've got Resident Evil 4 for the Wii gathering dust in my drawer. I always think about going back to it as I enjoyed the mechanics of it.

It just scares the living tit out of me.

Shorty
10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I came here to specifically suggest Silent Hill 2. Great job, WK. Silent Hill 3 may also be worth mentioning. And I've always wanted to play Fatal Frame!

It doesn't get much more Halloween-y than MediEvil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediEvil), imo.

Lonely Paper Star
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I better finish playing Amnesia, then... D:

Also, Silent Hill 3 does sound like a good idea to play (even though I've heard mixed reviews about it) since Silent Hill: Revelation 3D is coming out soon. It's based on SH3.

Oh, and Fatal Frame 2 is one of my favorite survival horror games. That and Resident Evil 2. Everyone should play those. :3

Shorty
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
It certainly isn't the best of the series, but it's far from the worst. It's worth playing if you like the franchise.

As always: lights off, volume up!

Sephex
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't care if the internet says this too much, but Amnesia is a great one to play around this time of year. Also, Penumbra, which was made by the same developer. That game is a little rough around the edges, more so than Amnesia, but it works.

Lonely Paper Star
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
As always: lights off, volume up!

And headphones on, if you have them. Especially for Amnesia. ;.;

krissy
10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
DEAD SPACE

and i guess i'll try amnesia soon

and i should finish silent hill 2 one day

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't think I've ever intentionally played a game to go along with the season I'm in or a holiday that's close by.

Coincidentally, though, I did start playing Silent Hill 4: The Room yesterday. It's quite fitting for this time of year. :)

Slothy
10-08-2012, 06:46 PM
It certainly isn't the best of the series, but it's far from the worst. It's worth playing if you like the franchise.

Are you talking about SH3? Because SH3 is best SH.

Shorty
10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Debatable. :colbert:

(two is better)

Slothy
10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
SH2 has a better story. SH3 is the scarier game by far though.

Shorty
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
This I will concede.

Slothy
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
And we didn't even have to come to blows or threaten to ban anyone. I think this shows some real growth in our relationship.

Shorty
10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
bros4lyfe

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_Apocalypse_(video_game)) looks like it would be fun, but I am not thrilled that they stole the Fallout loading screen. :colbert:

Whatever the hell this is (http://www.deadnation.net/), it looks amazing.

also I assumed L4D would be mentioned by now!

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to pick up the slack, then. :roll2

SH2 is the greatest horror game ever made and fuck you, Vivi. :colbert:

Slothy
10-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Whatever the hell this is (http://www.deadnation.net/), it looks amazing.

also I assumed L4D would be mentioned by now!

Got the former out of the whole PSN fiasco last year. Wasn't bad. And I love L4D, but neither of those strike me as Halloween games. They aren't shit your pants terrifying enough.

Well, I guess I'll have to pick up the slack, then. :roll2

SH2 is the greatest horror game ever made and smurf you, Vivi. :colbert:

It's a great game don't get me wrong, but it's about as scary as a kitten sleeping curled up in a box.

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
An evil kitten.

Slothy
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
No, just a regular cute, sweet, loving kitten. Seriously, SH2 is probably the least scary in the series. It has it's moments, but they're few and far between even by SH standards.

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
SH2 had a terrifying atmosphere that has yet to be matched.

Everything else, however... :erm:

Slothy
10-08-2012, 08:24 PM
It's atmosphere is part of what I'm talking about. SH3 frequently crosses over into the surreal and terrifying. But SH2, even when in it's version of the Otherworld, was pretty mundane. Sure, there are a couple of standout areas, but most of it was a let down after the original SH. It's really only the story and characters that pull it up a bit higher for me.

Levian
10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Not to mention the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qalGezr76o

and the everything else.

Lonely Paper Star
10-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Not to mention the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qalGezr76o

and the everything else.

Akira Yamaoka's music was great for SH games. :3 I really liked this song.

Wolf Kanno
10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
I don't think anything will ever top this track:

NdXCsXcs6nA

I've been enjoying SH2 so far, I've only dabbled with the series in the past but I always liked it better than Resident Evil, largely cause I don't find zombies scary and I appreciate the atmosphere and psychological aspect of the SH series. I'm in the west side apartment getting ready to face Pyramid Head for the first time...