PDA

View Full Version : Ehrgeiz

WildRaubtier
10-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Anyone else ever play this? It was a fighter game but I really liked the dungeon mode that came with it - an rpg-adventure type full-featured dungeon crawl.

An aspect that was a lot of fun was traps, which would seal off the room you were in and cause enemies to respawn infinitely until you'd beaten all of them. They were also compounded by a mechanic where the encounter rate would increase the longer you spent in a dungeon. So, if you happened across a trap after playing for a while it was a tense struggle to make it out alive! So fun!

So yeah. Anyone ever heard of this before ???

Roogle
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes, I played it when I was younger. I had a poor experience with its RPG Mode in which I spent a great deal of time trying to get to the end of it only to find out that it has a strange ending based on what difficulty you chose.

One of the protagonists will die as you descend into the lowest levels of the dungeon forcing you to play as the other protagonist until you find a way to use the artifact at the lowest level to revive them, making the entire journey pointless.

WildRaubtier
10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah. I encountered a bug where one of my characters died from hunger after dying after that point and left the item to revive them behind. I always wondered what effect that would've had on the game (probably none, as you need the other character dead to finish the game).

Anyway, I think the point of that ending is that you have to choose between losing your companion or the artifact. Either choice gets you some different exposition. I always wanted to try beating it on hard mode to see what the ending is like then.

But you like fighting games, right? What did you think of the battle mode?

Clo
10-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I really only played Battle Mode. The story mode was frustrating and didn't seem worth it.

I thought it was pretty fun as a kid, but I can't imagine how much I would like it now. Remember that one mode where you played capture the flag or whatever on the beach? What was that?

Jowy
10-08-2012, 02:22 PM
i remember we rented this in sixth grade and i kept cheesing meteorain over and over and went undefeated. i've only seen a hard copy of this game one other time and dude wanted sixty bucks for it. noooooope!

WildRaubtier
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Remember that one mode where you played capture the flag or whatever on the beach? What was that?
Oh man I beat that at some point andwas pretty much YESSSSSing for an hour. That battle Othello though sheesh.

Roogle
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I am wondering what the ending of the story is if you choose the higher difficulty with only one character.

But you like fighting games, right? What did you think of the battle mode?

Squaresoft and Square Enix have never understood fighting games. They need to stick to role-playing games rather than trying to develop games like Ehrgeiz and Dissidia Final Fantasy. The worth of a fighting game is decided by its value in competitive play. If it doesn't have that, it might as well be a simple game with no publicity at all because that is all that it is going to be. Harsh, but true...

Jowy
10-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Squaresoft and Square Enix have never understood fighting games.

Bushido Blade!