PDA

View Full Version : EOFF Olympics: You are the generics

Slothy
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm late getting this up but so be it. This shouldn't be an extra long event by any stretch. I'd imagine we can get it done in short order. What is the event you ask?

Simple; you're going to write a story from the perspective of a generic character. This story should be about an event which took place in the game. The generic characters may be mercenaries and cutthroats, but they've never been given a voice until now.

Your entry shouldn't be more than a couple of pages in a word document preferably so that things will be easier to judge. I'll give some leeway and say five pages tops though. Entries will be judged based on creativity and entertainment value.

Straight forward? As much as it gets. So get to it.

Deadline is Saturday, October 13, 2012.

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
xD

Slothy
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
If that is your entry then you lose Quin. I should dock your team points for how terrible a read that was. :p

Raistlin
10-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Oh I like this game! I will be really busy the next couple of days with a trial, but I'll try to type something up after that.

Jiro
10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
smurfing hell. I've not played this game enough (yet) to do this well in terms of canon, tone or anything like that, but I'll give it a smurfing shot.

EDIT: I know you say 5 pages, but I'm going to shoot for an ultra short story, flash fiction almost, and it says points for creativity and entertainment but I'm going to aim for accuracy. I could make it comedic but Raistlin might flay me for tarnishing such a great game's reputation.

Slothy
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Five pages tops Jiro. But the longer they get the more likely I won't read 'em. :p

VeloZer0
10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
At which point you will have to assume they are awesome because of how much effort was put into them?

Faris
10-09-2012, 08:23 PM
When's the due date?

Slothy
10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
When's the due date?

This is what happens when I get sick. My mind starts to go. More than usual anyway. Ideally I'd like them all by Friday so I can get through them on the weekend.

EDIT: Actually, let's make it Saturday so anyone who needs that day to work on theirs can.

Jiro
10-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Give me til the 15th plox.

Slothy
10-13-2012, 10:35 PM
For you buddy? Sure. But no later. I've already let Boko down enough by dragging all of my stuff out too long.

Raistlin
10-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Sweet! I have a chance to do this with the extended deadline.

Slothy
10-14-2012, 11:38 PM
I expect great things. Do not let me down you two.

Jiro
10-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Do I post it or send it to you?

Slothy
10-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Sending it to me was fine. I'll just post it later when I have the chance to read it. I still haven't seen Raistlin's yet, but since I won't get to reading them until tonight he's got until, probably 8-9pm EST. If I don't have anything else by then you'll win by default Jiro.

Slothy
10-17-2012, 01:35 AM
And I'm afraid I must call this contest to a close with Jiro the winner by default. If you managed to get something written up, or almost finished, or even just in the planning stages for this Raistlin I would still love to see it. As would others I would assume, but sadly only Jiro will be collecting the points on this one. Here's his entry:

The silence is the worst part. There is no peace while the battle rages. The clashing of swords, the arcane rustling of magic, the screams of dying men; all of these punctuate the air like thunderclaps. Once the last man lay dead, that unsettling calm consumes everything. The visions of those piles of bodies haunts me.

It is like a parasite, gnawing inside of me. We are meant to revel in combat, to thirst for the blood of our enemies. Seeking glory and mastery over oneself… these are the reasons we came to the Akademy. They said to me: “Knights are the most honourable men to walk this earth, Kennard.” I believed them too. If only I had known war would be like this, perhaps then I would have opted for the simpler life. The life of a farmer, toiling the land from sunrise to sunset, with nary a care in the world. No death. No destruction. Instead now I nurse wounds caused by blade and black magic alike, fearful of my own death while I dispense death unto others. We may march toward victory but I fear no fanfare will ever dispel the demons in my mind.

Lord Ramza shares my disdain for battle. I know it to be true. It is etched into every line on his face. He has no love for death, seeks no glory in battle. Yet he fights onwards, as if possessed by some sense of duty or divine purpose. He chooses words over weapons wherever it avails him; he does not seek to stain his hands with the blood of others. Unlike myself, he has no thoughts of flight, no delusions of an easier life. He has chosen his path and will walk it to the bitter end. There is a fire inside of him, granting him the strength to do what must be done. He strides forward, full of determination, and we follow loyally. Perhaps he himself has some arcane power. Would I have followed another man this far? I cannot say for certain, but know this: Lord Ramza is a true hero.

Jiro
10-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Oh well. I was looking forward to seeing something from someone who was more familiar with the game!

Goldenboko
10-23-2012, 01:22 AM
This event was worth 20 points and team FFVI took the gold :)