PDA

View Full Version : Villians.

opn184
10-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Who's the central villian in FFIII? How does it differ from the one FFII?

Gamblet
10-09-2012, 12:01 AM

Just play the games yourself, it will be more fun. Trust me.

But if you insist: Final Fantasy III - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III)

Wolf Kanno
10-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Xande is the central antagonist but the Cloud of Darkness is the main villain though it only reveals itself at the end.

WildRaubtier
10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I think you mean that Xande is the main villain but the Cloud of Darkness is the typical JRPG arsepull of a final boss

VeloZer0
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
No Cloud of Darkness was well established from what was already in the game. They didn't explicitly say 'Cloud of Darkness' but it basically fits the description of what would happen if they weren't fast enough.

WildRaubtier
10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
That's a bit like saying that Meteor is the main villain of 7. Nope.

Wolf Kanno
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Not really since meteor is just a spell and CoD is a cosmic being trying to restore reality back to its initial state of nothingness. The game states that imbalance could threaten ruin by reducing everything to the Void. Later its stated that CoD (the Void incarnate) manipulated Xande into flooding the world with darkness to save his own skin as a means to create imbalance and allow CoD to return everything to the void. Was the storyline for CoD poorly executed? Yes and No considering the time frame of the game, but it doesn't really change that the CoD is the real villain of the story whereas Xande is simply an antagonist that allows CoD to enter the World of Light. CoD even has Xande's Soul working as a mini-boss protecting her stuff in the final dungeon.

opn184
10-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Just play the games yourself, it will be more fun. Trust me.

But if you insist: Final Fantasy III - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III)

Haha nah, I'm not really into the games... Just asking questions that pop into my head

espritduo
10-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Cloud of Darkness appears in Dissidia as the representative of FFIII's villain, Xande doesn't. All discussions of who is the main villain are now null and VOID, as per FF Rule #57 - The Dissidia De Facto.

(no there is no real FF Rule list a la RPG Cliches, but wouldn't be awesome if there was?)

VeloZer0
10-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Actually I consider all content in sequels and spin-offs to be null and void unless proved to be valid. Re-makes are a little bit of a grey area.

WildRaubtier
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Cloud of Darkness appears in Dissidia as the representative of FFIII's villain, Xande doesn't. All discussions of who is the main villain are now null and VOID, as per FF Rule #57 - The Dissidia De Facto.

(no there is no real FF Rule list a la RPG Cliches, but wouldn't be awesome if there was?)
Meanwhile, Golbez is in dissidia while Zemus isn't, as well as Terra who probably isn't a better choice than, say, Locke or Celes.

A lot of the initial inclusions in Dissidia were total judgement calls. Which is the polite way of saying THIS IS WRONG HAHA SUCKER

Re: Wolf Kanno; having played through both a translated NES version as well as the DS version, I have to say that I honestly can't remember any mention of CoD before the fight with Xande at the top of the tower. I won't rule out that vague foreshadowing is a thing that occurred since even Garland can be argued to have foreshadowed Necron in 9, but a main villain it does not make.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Meanwhile, Golbez is in dissidia while Zemus isn't, as well as Terra who probably isn't a better choice than, say, Locke or Celes.

I would argue that Terra was really the only logical choice, while not the main character per se, she is the most important character to the story cause most of the games major events revolve around her and her esper heritage. Celes could have been an alternative but Locke? I mean the guy is basically following around the more important female characters not to mention he was shot down in development of Dissidia because the guy has no real connection to Kefka.

As for why Zemus is kicked out but CoD gets in despite having similar roles, I would assume it has to do with Xande also being mostly a no-show for most of III whereas Golbez is the stage stealing badass villain in IV. My guess is that the Dissidia team felt Onion Knight had just as much of a relationship with Xande as CoD. Another theory is that CoD and Golbez were chosen as personal conflicts for their games respective heroes. I mean the Onion Knights were tasked by the crystals to restore the balance and CoD is trying to upset it so it can swallow everything into the Void, which is thematically consistent compared to a random super wizard who is trying to live forever. Likewise Cecil and Golbez have a more personal conflict than Zemus who ultimately is some random alien manipulating brothers into fighting each other.

Re: Wolf Kanno; having played through both a translated NES version as well as the DS version, I have to say that I honestly can't remember any mention of CoD before the fight with Xande at the top of the tower. I won't rule out that vague foreshadowing is a thing that occurred since even Garland can be argued to have foreshadowed Necron in 9, but a main villain it does not make.

It's never a direct reference except for the one about CoD manipulating Xande (I believe the DS version added this line) which is told to the player by either Unne, Doga or one of the Dark Warriors, I can't remember exactly...

The issue here is that Necron doesn't manipulate anyone, he just shows up when Kuja accidentally summoned him after his defeat. Whereas CoD is stated to be the real mastermind of the story of its game. Is it lame? Yes, but she's technically the main villain since she's the cause of everything going out of control, and she's the real adversary for the crystals themselves.

WildRaubtier
10-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Well, as long as we agree it's lame!

espritduo
10-10-2012, 04:16 PM
You know what I always wondered? If there is a World of Darkness with Warriors of Darkness and a Cloud of Darkness, and there is the World of Light (the main world) with Warriors of Light....is there a Cloud of Light? The game points out that having too much light(the people who built the Crystal Tower causing a sort of "flood of light" that forced the Dark Warriors to intervene) is just as bad as having too much darkness, so if the game were done in some sort of bizarro reverse fashion with the Warriors of Darkness being the main heroes, what would the Cloud of Light be like? Noah?

VeloZer0
10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Wait, are you implying that CoD was some sort of sentient force? I always took it as CoD being more like an amorphis elemental cloud that influenced people not consciously but just because of the nature of the power. The CoD form you fought was just the condensation of the clouds power.

In my interpretation of the game Xande created the Cloud of Darkness by freezing the worlds time. Not consciously of course, but it was him that allowed it to form.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2012, 06:39 PM
CoD talks, so I assume it's sentient. It's suppose to be the physical embodiment of the Void, practically a force of nature but one that is consciously trying to restore the world to a state of nothingness by tipping the balance of light and darkness. In this case, I would assume it took the form of a Cloud of Light in the WoD world.