PDA

View Full Version : Dishonored

Hollycat
10-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Thread about Dishonored.

I went into this game expecting a halfway inbetween Skyrim and Bioshock. What I got was an extremely easy version of Bioshock,
In my opinion the character models look awful when seen closeup, the ambient dialouge is spouted so wearily often I was fed up with it before the end of level one, the story took a plunge rather quickly, and never once did anyone bother to question why would the empresses lover kill her before they even got married? Terribly disappointed. If anyone wants a copy for the PS3, I'd be happy to ship you mine at cost

Bolivar
10-10-2012, 02:10 AM
That is extremely disappointing to hear, especially for how hyped this game is becoming for being original.

How far are you? Does the ambience of the setting make it anyway enjoyable?

krissy
10-10-2012, 03:13 AM
lemme know how much!

Hollycat
10-10-2012, 04:45 AM
That is extremely disappointing to hear, especially for how hyped this game is becoming for being original.

I'm barely past mission one and I can't see any reason to keep playing. It almost feels like they couldn't make up their mind whether it wanted to be steampunk or knights or early 20th century so they just threw them all together.

@krissy- $55 + shipping.

Pete for President
10-10-2012, 08:41 AM

I'm barely past mission one and I can't see any reason to keep playing. It almost feels like they couldn't make up their mind whether it wanted to be steampunk or knights or early 20th century so they just threw them all together.

I don't see how this is a bad point unless you're the kind of person who has a thing against metal materials. Please explain why exactly this combination fails to immerse you into the world.

Hollycat
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM

I don't see how this is a bad point unless you're the kind of person who has a thing against metal materials. Please explain why exactly this combination fails to immerse you into the world.

It isn't very well blended. You can crearly tell some areas were developed withone idea in mind, while the area right across the street was built with another

Bolivar
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah, blending different setting archetypes can be brilliant or forced and I think I'm getting what you mean by it.

How would you feel about $25?

Hollycat
10-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Gamestop has a garunteed 30.

krissy
10-11-2012, 12:57 AM
i keep hearing it's really short tho if you just plow thru it
did you finish?

Hollycat
10-11-2012, 02:38 AM
No, I couldn't see any reason to keep playing.

Flying Arrow
10-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Hypo, keep playing. The rest of the game is nothing like the first mission, which itself is more of a linear tutorial of all the mechanics. Overall, though, it's nothing like the games you mentioned, if that's what you thought when you bought it. Skyrim is way open world while Bioshock has more deliberate pacing. Dishonored's level structure (both in progression and in design) is more like Deus Ex than anything. If that's still not your thing... c'est la vie.

To everyone else, this game is fabulous. Easily one of my favourites from the past couple of years. Yes, it's probably shorter than most games of its ilk (immersive first-person games) but that's only because there's no chaff. It's tight as hell. I'm not finished yet, but I can feel the end coming - and honestly it's just long enough to feel meaty with lots of possibilities, but not short enough to feel like it hasn't done enough with its premise. Each mission does something different and shows you something new, because there's no point in it repeating content.

There's the replayability, too, because of all the choices and the (alleged) reactivity of the game world. I don't have first-hand experience with these "consequences", but the game does go out of its way to tell you that they exist. I can't wait to start another fresh playthrough.

Best of all, the game can be as handholdy or not as you like. Unlike Deus Ex: HR or Skyrim, the game is designed to be played without objective indicators. The game gives you enough reasonable clues and is designed well enough that you can locate things intuitively.

Does the ambience of the setting make it anyway enjoyable?

The setting is wonderful and imaginative. It's a great place to explore and has some great world-building.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2012, 06:55 AM
I'm not far into this but so far this game seems pretty fucking great.

But you knew that as soon as you saw HC's opinion of it.

Araciel
10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Meh...so many games about assassins, ninjas, etc.

I'll get around to it, I will.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Remember when BioShock was all "Hey there's so many different ways to do shit!" but then it was just freeze ray + wrench to the head for fifteen hours?

Yeah well Dishonored is everything BS promised it would be. You actually have a shitload of options in how to deal with people, even the basic killing has so many choices I keep forgetting I've got shit available to me and I'm on like the first mission after the tutorial. There are so many options. Also the game looks amazing, it has a truly astounding aesthetic.

Hollycat
10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm not far into this but so far this game seems pretty smurfing great.

Shhh, we must hide it from the common folk.

Alright, I'll play mission 2.

Flying Arrow
10-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Remember when BioShock was all "Hey there's so many different ways to do trout!" but then it was just freeze ray + wrench to the head for fifteen hours?

Yeah well Dishonored is everything BS promised it would be. You actually have a troutload of options in how to deal with people, even the basic killing has so many choices I keep forgetting I've got trout available to me and I'm on like the first mission after the tutorial. There are so many options. Also the game looks amazing, it has a truly astounding aesthetic.

Nailed it. Wait till you get to that one mission. You'll know it when you get to it.

Jiro
10-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Saw a little clip of Dishonored and man that looks tight. Didn't really blip on my radar before, but I'm keen to give it a go.

Madame Adequate
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Finished it and went right back to the start to play it again and do shit completely differently. This game is awesome as hell, everyone buy it.

Unbreakable Will
10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not far into this but so far this game seems pretty smurfing great.

This.

The game is excellent, while there are some things that seem a tad forced and reminders of Fable III (when it comes to character looks, but that's my opinion) I'm really enjoying it.
There's so many ways to play and do things that it practically guarantees playability.
:doublecolbert:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-21-2012, 04:49 PM
It was pretty good. The story wasn't very well done, but it was entertaining enough and the gameplay was easily the thing that kept me playing. All the power options are simply awesome. I finished in High Chaos. I want to go back and play it again now that I am better at not getting seen and not killing. I want to see how different that will be.

Although with Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4 coming out so soon, I don't know how much time I am going to be willing to give this game. Especially since I still have to finish Darksiders...