PDA

View Full Version : Best Boss Fights

Pike
10-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Let's talk about the best boss fights in gaming.

Gonna start with a classic: Psycho Mantis.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060802225151/metalgear/images/6/6a/Psycho_Mantis.jpg

Laddy
10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Thread over.

Slothy
10-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Thread over.

Shadow of the Colossus. Way to blow your load early Laddy.

I Took the Red Pill
10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
The End : MGS 3
Miguel : Chrono Cross
Bitores Mendez : Resident Evil 4

Pheesh
10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Probably my favourite boss battle is Riku/Ansem in Hollow Bastion from KH1. For me that is the fight has the best lead up, payoff and significance in the whole game. Also, I was severely under levelled the first play through and it was so hard for me to beat him, so when I eventually did it felt awesome.

Pete for President
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Definitely The End in MGS3. Such an epic endurance battle.

I shall nominate:

Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls.

Edit: who am I kidding, I love all the bosses in Dark Souls with the exception of the Bed of Chaos.

blackmage_nuke
10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
MGS3: Snake vs The Ladder

krissy
10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
final boss in zoe2

the walker in einhander

the baby from half-life 1 (just kidding wtf was up with that)

edit: omg, final boss in ace combat zero: the belkan war
what a rush

Slothy
10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
edit: omg, final boss in ace combat zero: the belkan war
what a rush

It was one of the better ones in that game, though I didn't like it quite as much as the stuff in Ace Combat 5. But then, who wouldn't love doing completely insane shit like shooting down a space station?

Jowy
10-10-2012, 06:32 PM
ditto the love for O&S. by the time those fuckers were dead my hands were all sweaty and I was on the edge of the couch. once i popped my chestplate and helmet off and went fastroll it was much easier. Great Grey Wolf Sif was also GOAT caliber.

Fort Zeakden in FFT, Magus in Chrono Trigger, Majora without Fierce Deity's Mask, Granfaloon from Symphony of the Night, Arl Howe in Dragon Age: Origins, Matriarch Benezia in Mass Effect...I can go on for a while.

In terms of sheer "thank god that's over" satisfaction, the Amphysvena/Opiomorph show. Fuel-draining bitch.

krissy
10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
i think i liked it better than the ac5 one because there was a lot more action and the music was more intense
i loved the ac5 final battle as well
but there's a level of personal affection in acz's battle that ac5 didn't quite capture in that final battle
ac5 was all like 'time to save everyone' and i really liked it too
but
acz was all 'let's finish this buddy'

Slothy
10-10-2012, 06:36 PM
i loved the ac5 final battle as well
but there's a level of personal affection in acz's battle that ac5 didn't quite capture in that final battle
ac5 was all like 'time to save everyone' and i really liked it too
but
acz was all 'let's finish this buddy'

I think I'm partly biased because overall I just think AC5 had much more interesting missions than ACZ (it was also my first AC game really). But thinking back on it some more, the final battle in Zero was much more personal, and also quite a bit more difficult than I remember most battles in 5 being. It's still cool, just not shooting down a space station cool for me.

krissy
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
i wanna replay them ALL now!
except for 6 cause they never released it on a ps so i never played it

Slothy
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
i wanna replay them ALL now!
except for 6 cause they never released it on a ps so i never played it

I feel your pain. At least we got Assault Horizon though. Although the control sensitivity always seemed way higher on that one, and I wasn't very good at the helicopter levels.

NeoCracker
10-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Persona 4 - True end boss
Final Fantasy VI - Kefka
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinestrals = The Four Sinestrals
Breath of Fire 2 - Deathaven
Infamous - Kessler

Pete for President
10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Ditto @ Vivi and Krissy, Ace Combat Zero deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

The final battle is a great one on one, but I loved pretty much all the squadron battles. There's some great knowledge and wisdom in that game too. Every squadron boss reveals a bit more of the greater scheme that's brewing behind the scenes, leading up to the climax which makes you think about global issues that exist in our world today. I still feel sympathy for A World With No Boundaries and the goal they want to accomplish. The fact that there is hardly right or wrong in that game makes you 'connect' with the enemy pilots, and eventually shooting them down brings some extra value and emotion along. ACZ is a masterpiece.

Del Murder
10-13-2012, 05:36 AM
This...is The End.

Also solo Wiegraf from FFT is always an epic.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Everything mentioned so far, and the final boss from Mushihimesama Futari Black Label.

0q1XdsrDINE

Skyblade
10-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Final Fantasy VI - Kefka
Infamous - Kessler

You mention Persona 4, but no mention of Persona 3's end boss?

Also, while I'm at it, Elizabeth and solo Margaret in P3P.

NeoCracker
10-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Final Fantasy VI - Kefka
Infamous - Kessler

You mention Persona 4, but no mention of Persona 3's end boss?

Also, while I'm at it, Elizabeth and solo Margaret in P3P.

I was actually a bit dissapointed in it. It didn't look nearly as cool as some of the other bosses, and it was just to easy. :(

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Sif, from Dark Souls. One of the best designed bosses I have ever seen. When you get him to critical health, he'll start limping and stumbling around, and it makes me feel like the biggest prick in the world.

Depression Moon
10-17-2012, 02:38 AM
http://www.psu.com/media/articles/image/MGS_Boss_The_End.jpg
http://crazypumpkinsnest.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/metal-gear-bosses-6-the-boss-468x.jpg
http://guides.gamepressure.com/infamous/gfx/word/1108997937.jpg
http://www.gamingtarget.com/images/content/news/Batman-Arkham-City-Mr-Freeze.jpg (ON NEW GAME +)

Aulayna
10-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Metal Sonic in the Death Egg in Sonic 2.

Mother Brain in Super Metroid.

Any tank, ever, in Left 4 Dead.

Madame Adequate
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Awwww shit yeah Mr. Freeze up in this thread

Iceglow
10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Krissy and Vivi22 miss something though, the first part of AC04 Distant Thunder's final level that dogfight was intense as fuck, doing it in any other jet than the SU-37 made for an interesting time, doing so on Ace difficulty made it nigh on impossible though I once attempted it in the F-16C on Ace difficulty and somehow survived.

AC06 was pretty cool, though the final level was much more like the second part of the finale from AC04. Lots of low alt stunt flying through tunnels and ground targets, there was however a complete navy, enough anti-air guns to shit up anyone and even some you can't even target until 75% of the way through the mission despite having to pass between them (makes Ace difficulty extremely interesting must be said, 3 hits and you're downed and you've got a passage of 8 anti-air guns what you can't silence)

Aside from Ace Combat bosses/final levels, Halo's final level always amused me as did of course Halo 3's since it's pretty similar, nothing quite like a flat out race against the clock for a change of pace in a shooting game. Mass Effect 2's suicide run mission is great. Psycho Mantis was always going to be mentioned. Whilst probably not a great boss fight some of the most fun boss fights I've played are when myself and Psy did Resident Evil 5 on Professional difficulty deserve honorable mentions as whilst infuriating we did have a laugh with it too.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Also, Dragon's Dogma. Just... just all of it. xD

WildRaubtier
10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Something about the X-ATM092 from FF8 does it for me. I mean let's examine it with some detail:

1) It's a cool mech
2) It's a non-standard boss battle
3) It's a cool mech
4) You're not supposed to beat it
5) But you can if you want to
6) It's a cool mech

Goldenboko
10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Harbinger from Mass Effect 3. What an epic dual, taking on an ageless machine to sa-.

Oh.

wait.

:(

Shattered Dreamer
10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Favorite Bosses in Gaming again then eh?

Star Wars Episode 1 Jedi power Battles - Darth Maul at the end. Viciously difficult but one of my all time favorites.

Metal Gear Solid - Cyborg Ninja/Grey Fox. The thing I enjoyed most about this was the fact there were two ways you could do it. Engage him in the hand to hand slug fest he is looking for or be lazy chaff grenade him then shoot him.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Crying Wolf. This boss fight really got on my nerves the first time I played it. I relied far to heavily on the Solid Eye & tried to blow her up with various missiles & explosives but to no avail. I'd get her down to her last sliver of health & the Solid Eye switched to her view point & she'd me instantly. By the time I figured out the best way to beat her was track her slowly then headshot her with a sniper rifle when she popped up out of her armour to take a shot at you I was beyond satisfied when she finally fell.

Prototype 2 - Alex Mercer. A recent edition to my favorite boss list. While the story left a lot to be desired I really enjoyed the way this boss battle was executed. Having to use multiple variations of your powers to beat him & the fact if he hit you at all it took off huge amounts of health. The highlight of a mediocre game for sure.

Sephex
10-17-2012, 07:41 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SIXVKilGiOs/TMjRAr95z9I/AAAAAAAAADU/aFFe7dEx110/s1600/Giygas02.png

Flaming Ice
10-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Baten Kaitos Origins Walkthough Part 50: Holoholo Bird part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqpMruWTMwA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGkAWG4PrM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST-GFx8gLCVDu27S0yZcxTduG229NyiuxCKrgtoo4xV7DdZ91SKg

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
You've got to be joking about Alex Mercer. One of the worst bosses in recent gaming.

Formalhaut
10-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I really like TWETY and it's last boss battle. The fact that you are all by yourself, rather than your partner, and how grand it seems. The monster dragon thing is huge, it fills up the screens, and it's constantly attacking you.

I loved it.

Bolivar
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Crying Wolf. This boss fight really got on my nerves the first time I played it. I relied far to heavily on the Solid Eye & tried to blow her up with various missiles & explosives but to no avail. I'd get her down to her last sliver of health & the Solid Eye switched to her view point & she'd me instantly. By the time I figured out the best way to beat her was track her slowly then headshot her with a sniper rifle when she popped up out of her armour to take a shot at you I was beyond satisfied when she finally fell.

My vote. It's The End boss fight from MGS3 combined with his alternate boss fight.

... in a snowstorm.

I beat this fight without any alerts and it was far and away the most intense stealth experience in the series to date.

Evastio
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Kirby's Return to Dream Land's final boss is definitely is mine currently.

The final boss itself is a big plot twist, especially considering the build up, the music is nostalgic and epic, the boss' attacks are really neat (especially the drawing attack), and the otherworldly atmosphere is breathtaking.

Heath
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I came in here thinking that I was pretty convinced I knew best and wouldn't have my opinion swayed, but I've seen one or two that I'd add to my list!

My initial thought was for the Meta-Ridley battle in the original Metroid Prime. It's not the toughtest boss battle ever, but it's great fun. I loved diving for cover and shoot at it while Ridley swooped down. It also had some pretty rockin' music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLLjibR_c4Q). Having said that, a lot of the boss battles in Metroid Prime were great.

The final boss battle of the original Shadow Hearts was also pretty great. Being transported into freakin' space to fight God!

One of the ones that stood out in this thread was the final two bosses of Sonic 2, which to this day I find to be a bit of a nightmare (Metal Sonic less so than the Robotnik one).

Quindiana Jones
10-21-2012, 03:31 PM
The Phalanx and Crow-thing bosses from SotC were my favourites. I want to highlight them because they are amazing.

Madame Adequate
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah Phalanx is an absolutely mindblowing boss.

Hollycat
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Baby Panay- Just Cause2
A boss fight while riding atomic bombs. Top that.
Red- Pokemon silver/ gold

TrollHunter
10-21-2012, 05:46 PM
The final boss of ratchet and clank 3: Dr. Nefarious.
My view will be done from fighting him with little to no armor.
Now, Dr. Nefarious is an amazing final boss. He pulls no punches, and with no armor he can easily 1 hit kill you (2 if you're lucky).
He's very fast paced, and tests you on all the dodging and quick selecting skills you've been working on up to the games conclusion. Even if you just cheese him with good armor, the shield charger, and the overpowered weapons in the game he'll still give one valiant fight back. He's easily one of my favorite bosses of all time.

Final boss of Dark Souls: Gwyn
Now, if you give this guy a completely fair fight, he is a nightmare. He's the most aggressive enemy I've ever fought, and in a game like Dark Souls, that says a LOT. He hits like a truck, he hits as fast as a tiger. He, like Dr. Nefarious, tests everything you've done in the entire game. If you have a low stability shield, have fun dodging six hits in a row all with less than a second delay in between (no, trust me, it's fun :D).
Almost all the bosses in dark souls could be talked about with the same praise, but Gwyn encompasses nearly everything the other bosses threw at you, and being an absolute nightmare for both the over-prepared and the unprepared. I love this guy, and next time you fight him, try it without parries OR a shield (with light weight roll or Dark Wood Ring of course), it's a totally different experience.

black orb
10-30-2012, 07:32 AM
>>> Xenoblade - the battle with Xord at the Ether Mine was pretty wicked..:luca: