PDA

View Full Version : There appears to be a wanker drifting on my seas

Citizen Bleys
10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
You thought it was lost forever.

Well, I say

Not on my watch

http://thehighseas.bastardly.org/

Here it is, reproduced in all its original glory -- minus the "friends view" from the original archive because that really is gone forever. Maybe it's just me, but I tended to go through it in chronological order even with the original archive, so the nav buttons I put at the top are just as good.

For those who don't know what this is: You lucky sods. You're in for a treat. I got a real charge out of this before I ever even played Suikoden IV, and I credit the adventures of Will and the crew of the Home Slice for how much enjoyment I got out of the game when I did play it.

As noted on the intro page, there's a bug in LiveJournal's coding that causes the replies posted on this page to be in duplicate when the page is saved for viewing off of LiveJournal's software, and the workaround I used to avoid that uses a feature of HTML5 that is presently only supported in the Google Chrome and Apple Safari web browsers. So, if you wanted to view this in Firefox...sorry, you're going to have to see all of the comments twice. If you wanted to view it in Internet Explorer...that's reason enough to feel sorry for you right there.

You're welcome.

Raistlin
10-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I already told you how awesome this is, but I will say it again: this is awesome. It makes me want to play Suikoden IV again.

Though unlike Bleys, I would recommend playing SIV before reading this.

Citizen Bleys
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Is it just me, or does Ted occasionally remind anyone else of Unne?

EDIT: Also, one thing I never understood: Who the christ is E.O.B.? Leknaat? And who was it who thought the Fog Ship Captain was Hikusaak? That's ridiculous.

Jiro
10-14-2012, 04:17 AM
I'm enjoying what I've read but I feel like a lot of it is lost on me having only played Suikoden V :(

Citizen Bleys
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Now you have a reason to play all of the other ones.

The Suikoden universe has a lot of lore.

Raistlin
10-14-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm enjoying what I've read but I feel like a lot of it is lost on me having only played Suikoden V :(

Yeah you can't really enjoy this without having played SIV. If only for the fact that you cannot appreciate the hate for Snowe.

It's a short game though, at least by modern JRPG standards. Even on your first playthrough, it's maybe 25-30 hours, so I highly recommend it, despite the game being by far the worst of the series.

Citizen Bleys
10-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Let's examine this logically, shall we? Sure, you can listen to the guy who played the game first and is, even in this very thread, slamming on it -- a trait he shares with a number of others who played Suikoden IV first, including Doomgaze, Ally, DocFrance, and Eric, or, you can listen to the guy who read the journals first and loves both. Not saying correlation implies causation or anything, because it clearly does not, but why not subject the hypothesis to experimentation? What do you have to lose other than a preconception of a Suikoden game as horrible? Does horrible sound like any fit way to describe a freaking Suikoden game?

Madonna
10-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Playing IV is not essential to enjoying the havoc created in the thehighseas journals, but it does help you in understand what is happening. I enjoyed both immensely. Thank you, Citizen Bleys, for bringing something nostalgic back to the world that actually does not suck.

Madame Adequate
10-14-2012, 06:23 PM
This is without qualification the best thing to come out of Suikoden IV.

Raistlin
10-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Bleysie-poo, I never said SIV was horrible, just that it is the worst in the series. That fact is pretty much beyond debate. :p Unlike many others, I still think the game is enjoyable, especially considering it's fairly quick and easy.

I do think there's so much more to appreciate in thehighseas journal having played the game first, or at least contemporaneously. The journal kind of cuts out a significant chunk of exposition, and you don't get to appreciate a lot of the characters (and the references to Snowe's pansyiness). Of course it also adds a lot that isn't in the game, such as the crazy party which is a massive part of the end of the journal. xD

Citizen Bleys
10-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Bleysie-poo, I never said SIV was horrible, just that it is the worst in the series.

Your exact words were by far the worst in the series. This is not the case. There is no 'by far' in the Suikoden series. They're all good. IV might not be as good as V, or as good as III could have been if the controls had been written for a human, but it's not even the worst game, let alone by far. That honour goes to Tierkreis. Hell, it's not even the worst numbered Suikoden game. It could have been, if Suikoden II had been paced better during the middle 65-70% of the game, but it's not.

Jowy
10-15-2012, 12:05 AM
I didn't like Suiko IV as much as the others but if you compare apples to oranges, Suiko IV is better than anything Squeenix has churned out in the past ten years. Suikoden II is just the bar being raised entirely too high.

Raistlin
10-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Hell, it's not even the worst numbered Suikoden game. It could have been, if Suikoden II had been paced better during the middle 65-70% of the game, but it's not.

Did you seriously just imply that Suikoden II is the worst numbered Suikoden game? Your opinion is officially invalidated. For everything. Your face is next to the definition of "wrong" in the dictionary.

Citizen Bleys
10-15-2012, 01:04 AM
It's also worth noting that the story in the journals doesn't end when the game does, they've done up a bit of an epilogue which continues to be funny

http://thehighseas.bastardly.org/?p=1067 is my favourite

Jowy
10-15-2012, 01:05 AM
The only part in Suikoden II that is remotely agonizing is going back to help Miss Wisemail. I haaaaaaate that part.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2012, 06:23 AM
But you get to see Teresa Wisemail again :squee:

Jowy
10-15-2012, 06:38 PM
After spending an hour fighting wave after wave of Highland goons and a big skeleton dragon, yeah.

Citizen Bleys
10-15-2012, 10:09 PM
You see, it's not just that I find boring, it's everything from the liberation of South Window to the last battle.

The only other Suikoden game that manages to lose my interest on that, even on subsequent playthroughs, was Tierkreis.

I've started playing Suikoden II at least a dozen times. I only made it all the way to the end of the game on the first playthrough.

EDIT: But what I came here to say is that Akatokuro and Imbrium have also done journals for Suikoden Tactics and Tierkreis. I will be archiving those for readability as well.

Jowy
10-16-2012, 03:02 AM
I didn't want Suikoden II to ever be over with.

Raistlin
10-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Is it just me, or does Ted occasionally remind anyone else of Unne?

I was thinking about this earlier, and I can see it. This also made me think of what other high seas characters reminded me of EoFFers.

Kika is foa.
Elenor is Tifa's Boobs.
Brandeau is Cuch.
Cray is Bleys.

Citizen Bleys
10-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Cray is Bleys.

Fuck you too buddy. If I'm like anyone in that play, it's Troy.

Thank God there's no-one at EoFF like Snowe.

Jiro
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
For what it's worth, I have had every intent to play the rest of the Suikoden series.

Raistlin
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Jiro is Helmut, though only because I am highly amused at the thought of Jiro practicing his "oh no he didn't!" phrase and pose in front of a mirror.

Bleys: I dunno, change "Tree-san" to "cat litter box," and I'm pretty sure Cray had some near-verbatim quotes from you. Troy is a good one too, though. :p

Also:

The only part in Suikoden II that is remotely agonizing is going back to help Miss Wisemail. I haaaaaaate that part.

I can agree with that. I don't really hate it, but it's pretty dull and definitely a letdown after your other adventures in Greenhill.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I keep reading "sea" as "soup". :(

Citizen Bleys
10-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I keep reading "sea" as "soup". :(

*exacts swift and final retribution and deposits Quin's loathsome corpse into the soup*

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2012, 10:30 PM
"deposit's"? :tongue: