PDA

View Full Version : The female equivalent of a bromance

Agent Proto
10-11-2012, 05:25 PM
So, what do you guys think is the proper term for the female equivalent of a bromance? The best term I came across is womance, but I've also came across others like femance, bramance, and... just plain romance.

But remember, this is for the simple platonic relationship between two females, similar to that of a platonic relationship between two males which makes a bromance.

:squeeze:

Iceglow
10-11-2012, 05:26 PM
See girls have their girlfriends who are their equivalent of bros. They're cool with that term because unlike us calling our bro's boyfriends it doesn't have the same homoerotic overtone.

Jinx
10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
You can just call Lockharted and myself by our names, thanks.

Pike
10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I use the term girlcrush

Alternatively I just call everyone a bro, because everyone is my bro.

Miriel
10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
So, what do you guys think is the proper term for the female equivalent of a bromance? The best term I came across is womance, but I've also came across others like femance, bramance, and... just plain romance.

But remember, this is for the simple platonic relationship between two females, similar to that of a platonic relationship between two males which makes a bromance.

:squeeze:
Girls have never had a problem with openly declaring their platonic love and affection for each other. The term bromance only exists today cause for a few decades, it was totally not cool (apparently) for guys to be affectionate toward each other. So that when the media saw instances of super close guy friends, they needed a term to encapsulate that whole, "I LOVE YOU, BUT NOT *IN LOVE* WITH YOU" feelings. So: bromance.

But girls have always had no trouble telling another girl, "I love you" without it being mistaken for sexual feelings. Girls are girlfriends, BFFS, sisters, etc.

Lonely Paper Star
10-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I use the term girlcrush

Alternatively I just call everyone a bro, because everyone is my bro.

I always use girlcrush in a literal sense where it's just a girl who has a crush on another girl (whether she admires her appearance, personality, whatever) from a distance but is not seriously attracted to her. O_o

Girls have never had a problem with openly declaring their platonic love and affection for each other. The term bromance only exists today cause for a few decades, it was totally not cool (apparently) for guys to be affectionate toward each other. So that when the media saw instances of super close guy friends, they needed a term to encapsulate that whole, "I LOVE YOU, BUT NOT *IN LOVE* WITH YOU" feelings. So: bromance.

But girls have always had no trouble telling another girl, "I love you" without it being mistaken for sexual feelings. Girls are girlfriends, BFFS, sisters, etc.

That's true. And then there's the whole "no homo" thing.

As for me (as a girl), I refer to my closer female friends as 'sisters,' but then also call them bros or dudes. I have another female friend who'll drunkenly call us her 'bitches,' but it sounds forced coming from her.

I'm not very affectionate, so I won't even express my love for these friends, much less hug them. XD

Citizen Bleys
10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
The term bromance only exists today cause for a few decades, it was totally not cool (apparently) for guys to be affectionate toward each other.

A few decades? I'll say. The last time it was as socially acceptable for heterosexual men to express platonic affection towards other heterosexual men was the 24th of May, 1895*. That's over a century.

*The 25th was the conclusion of the Oscar Wilde trial.

Shorty
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I cater to sexism anyway and call my girlfriends bros.

Psychotic
10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
A fartbucket.

Cuchulainn
10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
carpet cleaners

Rantz
10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
It's called a homance. Duh.

Denmark
10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
it's guy love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0)

it's a womance? maybe?

Sephex
10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Wait, women actually like each other?

Chris
10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I just call them "XenaGabs". :chuckle:

Faris
10-11-2012, 09:21 PM
My fellow ginger gal pal and I are "sisters" and my other gal pal is my "wifey".

It's called a homance. Duh.
...I do like this though, I'll save this for a special occasion.

Clo
10-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Call them:

:love: SISTERS 4LIFE HEART HEART <3 LESS THAN THREE

Mirage
10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Girls can be bros too. I aint sexist.

Lonely Paper Star
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Call them:

:love: SISTERS 4LIFE HEART HEART <3 LESS THAN THREE

Who don't need no man. :kakapo:

Citizen Bleys
10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
it was totally not cool (apparently) for guys to be affectionate toward each other.

Thought about this more on the way to work: It's also totally not cool (apparently) for guys to be affectionate towards anybody.

Think about it. If, in any context, I were to give examples of some of my buddies and I said Lynx, WesLY, or Unne, nobody would think about it--but if I said Chemical, rubah, or you, the general reaction would be "ooooooooooooooooo Bleys has a crush~"

Fuck the world, there is no difference other than that one is socially acceptable to express and one is not.

Miriel
10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Bleys has a crush on everybody! YAY! You big softie. :jess:

Citizen Bleys
10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
How many times do you have to meet Mr. Chainsaw before you learn?

Agent Proto
10-11-2012, 10:42 PM
This gives me a whole new perspective on Bleys. :hux:

Citizen Bleys
10-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Elucidate.

Whether or not your response is correct will be decided by Mr. Chainsaw.