PDA

View Full Version : Shows that became caricatures of themselves.

Jinx
10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I've been re-watching The Office, and watching one season to the next makes it painfully obvious how contrived this show became. It was always meant to be satire, but the beginning seasons still had an air or realism to them. The portrayed the frustration of working in an office, and some of the ridiculous things that happen (pranks, Diversity Day, sexual harassment training, etc.)

While the later seasons still have some hilariously delight moments, they aren't believable, and it takes away from the show. (I'm specifically thinking of the episode where Dwight does Fire Safety training.)

(Also, on a tangent, it always bugs me that Pam was kind of frumpy and nice, but as soon as she and Jim start dating, she "pretties up" and becomes kind of a :bou::bou::bou::bou:.)

Another show that comes to mind is Sex and the City. The first couple of seasons are really enjoyable, but it goes very downhill. It starts out portraying professional women who are self-sustaining, but trying to find love. Again, it's satire, but that's the point. You can relate.

The series fell apart to the extent it spawned two godawful movies. Did anyone see Sex and the City 2? Really? All these muslim women wear designer labels underneath their burqas?

What shows can you think of/do you watch that have stayed and (negatively) developed into a joke of its former glory?

charliepanayi
10-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Many US shows are on the slide when they end (British shows tend to fare better as they don't often go on as long), even stuff like Frasier and Seinfeld which were genius at their peak. But in terms of shows that were once good and became completely awful by the end, certainly Roseanne.

Slothy
10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Many US shows are on the slide when they end (British shows tend to fare better as they don't often go on as long), even stuff like Frasier and Seinfeld which were genius at their peak.

I agree with this, though I think both Frasier and Seinfeld were still better than they had any business being after so long on the air by the end.

Lost would qualify for me. Prime example of a show being dragged out several years longer than it should with no actual plan for where they were going and how to get there. Sliders as well. I love me some sci-fi and it had an awesome premise, but my god all that stuff after the first season or two.

Also, Beast Wars. Granted it had some awesome episodes late in its run, but most of it wasn't as good as the first or second seasons.

Chris
10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Lost "lost" its steam half-way through, and they really dragged it on and on and on and on... and then on some more. It became ridiculous, really.

It's a shame that so many great shows are cancelled after only one or two seasons, and a shows like Lost just keep dragging on and on. :(

Slothy
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Lost "lost" its steam half-way through, and they really dragged it on and on and on and on... and then on some more. It became ridiculous, really.

It's a shame that so many great shows are cancelled after only one or two seasons, and a shows like Lost just keep dragging on and on. :(

Yeah, I hate to always beat up on Lost because in it's prime it was one of the best shows on TV, but it's one of the most suitable examples I can think of of the idea that some shows really should just be a season or two (maybe three tops). Particularly shows with such overarching plots where everything that happens is supposed to feel important. Keep them tightly plotted, go in with a plan on how you're going to get to the end and what that will be. It's a shame networks don't really understand that operating that way might actually be better for them. I'd much rather finish a series finale wanting more instead of saying "that's it?" and wishing it had ended back when it was still good.

charliepanayi
10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
The trouble is, the usual scenario is either a show is successful and it goes on for a number of years and often past its prime, or it's not very successful and gets canned early on. Rarely are people going to say after one or two seasons when a show is riding high on critical praise and/or high viewing figures, 'OK, better wrap it up now'. It happens more often in UK shows (for instance, they planned to end Father Ted after three seasons even before Dermot Morgan passed away as they were running out of ideas), but of course they're a lot shorter to start with anyway.

Oh yeah, how could I forget The Simpsons. The obvious answer really.

Bunny
10-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Lost would qualify for me. Prime example of a show being dragged out several years longer than it should with no actual plan for where they were going and how to get there. Sliders as well. I love me some sci-fi and it had an awesome premise, but my god all that stuff after the first season or two.

The biggest problem with Lost is that J J Abrams had a hand in it. He has a tendency to create shows and then either lose interest in them or pick up another project to pay more attention to. This has happened with all of his shows and, coincidently enough every one of them got worse as they continued on. For Lost, he left, I believe, midway through the first season to work on MI3, which explains why the show began to go downhill after the initial season. The same could be said for Alias and Fringe, as well as possibly Person of Interest and, if it lasts longer than one season, Revolution, despite serving only as executive producer of the last two.

Lie to Me is one of the examples that comes to mind for this topic. The first two seasons were really good and the last was decent, though it definitely felt like the main character was becoming a caricature. Castle is another one that can be used. It is still enjoyable, but too much emphasis has been placed on the relationship between Castle and Beckett that it has become almost all about whether or not they will get together. The new season seems to lessen that emphasis and hopefully continues to do so (I've only seen the first episode so far). Most television comedies have a tendency to suffer from this as well. How I Met Your Mother is atrocious and not even remotely funny now, because no development actually occurs and the purpose seems to just push the "story" for however long CBS will continue to shovel money its way.

blackmage_nuke
10-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Off topic but I actually loved The Office after Steve Carell left (before I was just sort of watching it as background, and it wasnt very funny) but now that the side characters get to really shine the series has been amazingly funny and not just the same "Micheal Scott has done something awkward and/or childish and/or politically incorrect har har har" joke over and over. I also love Nate in the warehouse.

On topic 'Just Shoot Me' went through the traditional end of sitcom decline, trying to introduce a new character, reusing plots, making continuity errors from old plots and the like.

Hollycat
10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
So, I just watched about 4 episodes of the office, and I'm wondering, am I the only person on the planet who thinks this show isn't funny?

Bunny
10-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes, on a planet with almost seven billion people, you have a unique thought.

Shorty
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I can only imagine that the next run-through of Arrested Development might go this way.

Hollycat
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes, on a planet with almost seven billion people, you have a unique thought.

If I stick peanut butter to the top of my head and jump real high, I might get stuck.

Jinx
10-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I can only imagine that the next run-through of Arrested Development might go this way.

Are they really restarting the show, then? It's been in talks for awhile.

The Man
10-12-2012, 11:33 PM
It's not a reboot, it's a continuation, and it involves all the original cast and (I believe) writers so hopefully it won't suck. But yes, they're restarting it. Netflix is producing, I believe, ten additional episodes, and then there are plans to make a feature film to conclude the series, although I do not believe it has been confirmed that the latter is really going to happen yet.

As for shows that became caricatures of themselves, I'm shocked no one has said Family Guy yet.

Bunny
10-12-2012, 11:40 PM
They are pretty much picking up AD where it left off (if anyone remembers the actual ending). It's 10-13 episodes that are all going on Netflix at the same time and will lead up to a film.

Family Guy doesn't count because it was always a horrible show.

MJN SEIFER
10-13-2012, 12:14 AM
How has The Simpsons not been mentioned yet? Seriously guys, I grew up with this show, and I really try to give the newer episodes a chance, but it just seems like it's running out of ideas. Strangley it's the little things that annoy me;

1. Blatently obvious parodies (though some still happned in "classic" episodes.
2. Over doing the jokes.
3. Not remembering how characters act in situations.

Jinx
10-13-2012, 12:18 AM
How has The Simpsons not been mentioned yet? Seriously guys, I grew up with this show, and I really try to give the newer episodes a chance, but it just seems like it's running out of ideas. Strangley it's the little things that annoy me;

2. Over doing the jokes.

It was mentioned.

Raistlin
10-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Lost is definitely the big one for me. Castle also devolved into a caricature of the oh so typical "will they or won't they?" underplot whenever there's both a male and female lead. It became gag worthy.

Family Guy doesn't count because it was always a horrible show.

QFT.

MJN SEIFER
10-13-2012, 12:47 AM

2. Over doing the jokes.

It was mentioned.
So it was. I must have missread, sorry.

Slothy
10-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Just thought of another. It's a sitcom so, you know, big surprise, but I remember it's decline being quite a bit worse than most:

The Drew Carey Show.

Miriel
10-13-2012, 06:33 AM
The biggest problem with Lost is that J J Abrams had a hand in it. He has a tendency to create shows and then either lose interest in them or pick up another project to pay more attention to.
SO FREAKIN' TRUE!! Damn you Abrams!

The first two season of Alias (another Abrams show) is to this day, some of my favorite hours of television ever. And then it just got SO bad. Heartbreakingly, why-are-you-doing-this-to-me bad. I think it had the biggest turnaround for me. Because the season 2 finale was so amazeballs and then season 3 was a trainwreck, and then season 4 and 5 were even worse.

The Office was ruined once Jim and Pam got together. And I loooooved Jim and Pam before they hooked up. Cutest will they/won't they couple. I don't know what happened but they really made Pam insufferable.

Heroes is an obvious one. First season was brilliant and then it became a confused mess.

I never really watched the first several seasons, but by all accounts 24 started off as a great show. By the time I started watching later in its run I thought it was just laughably bad. Del Murder kept watching out of some strange loyalty to Jack Bauer.

How I Met Your Mother is a terrible show. It's really really bad, but I still watch it because after so many years, I'm so invested. So I angrily watch every episode hating all these characters and wishing they would reveal the god damn mother already, even though I know that the reveal will never be good enough to make up for how bad the show has gotten over the years.

Weeds got terrible after season 2 or 3 (can't really remember). It kinda picked up again but those middle seasons were awful.

And the big one, Grey's Anatomy. Is there a show out there that can compete with the ridiculousness of this show? Not even science fiction shows like Battlestar Galactica (which totally lost its way too) can compete with the outlandishness of this one hospital. Main characters are totally brutalized on this show. Just a FEW examples:

Meredith Grey: Almost killed by a bomb, drowned and saw ghosts before coming back to life, in a plane crash
George O'Malley: Hit and killed BY A BUS
Callie Torres: Thrown through the windshield of a car
Cristina Yang: IMPALED BY ICICLE. Seriously! Also involved in the plane crash
Derek Shepherd: Shot by a crazy guy, injured in the stupid stupid plane crash
Denny Duquette: Died and then became a ghost on the show. As a ghost had sex with Izzie, who in turn got skin cancer before exiting the show

Araciel
10-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Given a long enough run, it'll just happen regardless of anything.

Shlup
10-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Pam started getting pretty gradually after dumping Roy. She did not suddenly become pretty once she started dating Jim.

She was always a bitch.

In the last few episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Cristina has been going on rants about how so many terrible things happen at Seattle Grace and yelling "Why do these things keep happening??" and it's hilarious.

Del Murder
10-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Lost and 24 are the best examples of the shows I liked. The Simpsons is not really a great example because I don't think it technically became a caricature of itself. It just got bad.

NorthernChaosGod
10-14-2012, 05:54 AM
I used to really like Scrubs but that smurfing show went awful when they started following the medical school students. :colbert:

The Office has been going downhill for a while, but I stick it out because I love some of those guys.

Clo
10-14-2012, 09:30 PM
All tv shows suck, and you all know it. The more you watch of it, the more obvious the sucking becomes.