PDA

View Full Version : Waiting and anti-climax

Raistlin
10-12-2012, 09:12 PM
I was at work for over 13 hours on Wednesday, with almost half of that spent simply waiting. The jury in a case I assisted on decided to deliberate for a very unexpected 6 hours until almost 10 PM... and then convicted the defendant on all counts anyway. They could have done that 5 hours ago and let me go home!

During the wait actual defense attorney was restless and nervous, whereas I was just chatting with the prosecutors and resigning myself to a long night after the jury asked for dinner.

On that subject, how well do you deal with waiting? Do you stress out, or remain calm?

Additionally: what's the longest work shift you've ever had? At almost 13.5 hours (I got to work at about 8:30 that morning), this is definitely my longest. Of course, 6 hours of that did not involve much "work," but I still had to stay in my suit and tie for 6 more hours and couldn't go farther than about a 30 second walk from the courtroom. That is work enough for me. :p

Chris
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I work in a hospital, so waiting is a natural part of my job. Especially when there's a lot of people, and we're short on staff. Stressing yourself out, doesn't do anyone anything good.

I once worked worked for nearly 30 hours. Wasn't really what I'd call fun.

Jinx
10-12-2012, 09:16 PM
52 hour work shift

I'm like Lady Catelyn when it comes to waiting. I can always find some way to pass the time.

Shorty
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Waiting is terrible and I will throw a fit like a small child.

Araciel
10-12-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm as calm as Hindu cows

...always.

Bunny
10-12-2012, 11:30 PM
When I was in the military, the day before our change of command ceremony (where our old commanding officer left and we got a new one) everyone in my office worked around 14-15 hours, most of which was spent doing absolutely nothing because we had already finished the necessary preparations the day before or earlier that morning. We got there at about 7am and, I believe, I got back to my apartment at 9 or 10.

I'm typically fine with waiting so long as I have something to occupy myself with. In this instance, we had access to computers and internet, and I got to talk to several attractive women throughout the day. If I do not have anything to do while waiting, I am completely miserable.

Jiro
10-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I did a ten hour shift which was entirely waiting. It was fucking boring as hell and I ended up leaving my post to get a magazine.

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a friend who takes fucking ages to text back. There are few things I hate more.

But in terms of waiting in a queue or something, I'm alright.

fire_of_avalon
10-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I worked from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. several times between 2009 and 2011. Like, a full dozen I think.

I hate waiting for things and I hate downtime. I gotta move move move.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2012, 04:27 AM

I am the exact opposite of this because I am not a child.

Faris
10-13-2012, 05:34 AM
It depends on the situation. Sometimes I can be insanely patient and at other times I'll start to get ticked off for waiting too long.

~*~Celes~*~
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
It depends on the situation. Sometimes I can be insanely patient and at other times I'll start to get ticked off for waiting too long.
this.

DMKA
10-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I actually don't have a problem with waiting. My brain says "don't worry about it" until right before whatever it is I should be worrying about is going to happen, then I go into super nervous mode.

Longest shift I've worked was 18 hours. No breaks whatsoever.

Raistlin
10-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Why does this not surprise me at all? Would you like a candy, little girl? :p

Shorty
10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
STRANGER DANGER

snacks
10-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh god I hate waiting, not only that but I am terribly impatient with everything and everyone. People watch out!!

My longest shift was 12 hours so far, I'm fixing to work a few more than that here this coming week.

Denmark
10-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I have a friend who takes smurfing ages to text back. There are few things I hate more.

I know that feel bro

normally I'm pretty ok with waiting, though it depends on where I am/what I have to do in the interim. I'm able to zone out if necessary and if there's a deadline I'm able to make the wait time seem minimal by use of math. this stems from driving the new york state thruway which is fucking boring

I haven't worked any jobs where I've had to work a stupidly long shift; I think like 10 hours is the max or something.