PDA

View Full Version : Taking Your Vitamins

Pike
10-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Do you take a multivitamin every day? I do. I know the evidence of it actually making a difference is minimal, but I figure it can't hurt.

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 01:45 AM
When I remember, I drink Berocca because it tastes like happiness and it is cheap.

Shorty
10-13-2012, 01:49 AM
I absolutely do not take vitamins or any supplements of any kind because I think it's a waste of time and money.

fire_of_avalon
10-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I should but I don't.

Jinx
10-13-2012, 01:58 AM
I take B complex just to make my hair grow.

Slothy
10-13-2012, 01:59 AM
When I started eating mostly meat I was just as a sort of precaution. Then I realized that aside from tasting like shit, I would usually feel shitty within an hour of taking them so I stopped. Not only did it make me feel better, but I haven't died, so I guess screw vitamins?

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Pffrt. You can live in perfect health off of meat and fat alone.

Slothy
10-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I whole heartedly agree. I think I'll go eat some pepperoni right now.

Faris
10-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Nope! Thanks for reminding me. Come here chewable vitamins~

Raistlin
10-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Nope. There are some legitimate health reasons to take multivitamins, but otherwise they're unnecessary and the ads for them are mostly propaganda.

EDIT: Unless they are Flintstones vitamins. I will eat that trout like candy.

Jinx
10-13-2012, 02:22 AM
Nope. There are some legitimate health reasons to take multivitamins, but otherwise they're unnecessary and the ads for them are mostly propaganda.

EDIT: Unless they are Flintstones vitamins. I will eat that trout like candy.

Tangy and sweet :3

~*~Celes~*~
10-13-2012, 03:52 AM
I've been taking Prenatal vitamins, and I'm going to continue to do so until Peter's off the boobie. Then when we're ready to try for baby #2, I'll start them up again!

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Unless they are Flintstones vitamins. I will eat that trout like candy.

We take Flintstones vitamins! :bigsmile: We eat like six at a time :lol:

NorthernChaosGod
10-13-2012, 05:32 AM
I actually take a multivitamin, a calcium/vitamin D supplement, and fish oil.

Araciel
10-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I used to take a multitude of supplements for things my diet couldn't do.

Then I changed my diet.

No more supplements.

Shlup
10-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes. With extra iron 'cause I need lots of that shit.

Pike
10-13-2012, 10:22 AM
oh man Flintstones vitamins are amazing. Once when I was a kid we got some other brand; NEVER AGAIN.

P.S. Re: supplements I want to share this with everybody because it's great Snake Oil? The scientific evidence for health supplements (http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/)

milliegoesbeep
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I take some vegan vitamins bought from Holland & Barrett (I figure if I get the extra stuff since i'm not actually vegan, it can't hurt) and veggie omega 3. I used to take superted vitamins as a kid.

Tigmafuzz
10-13-2012, 12:11 PM
P.S. Re: supplements I want to share this with everybody because it's great Snake Oil? The scientific evidence for health supplements (http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/)

That reminds me, we make it a point to make food with extra garlic in it at least once a week :D

Mirage
10-13-2012, 03:21 PM
I take a few capsules of fish oil with vitamins A, D and E added to them a day. For a while I was taking vitamin B complex because my nails were terribly weak and would split as soon as they grew past the area where there was flesh or whatever underneath them.

Considering I had been having that problem for over a year, and it went away a month after starting on the vit Bs, it does seem like that was what solved it. I've stopped taking them now though, because I think I might have been taking too much of it. It affects skin growth too and I was starting to get some unusually thick and hard skin around a couple of my knuckles. I used to take two of those pills daily, but now I just take one a week instead.

While not a supplement, I think I'm more than enough of any of the vitamins and minerals found in milk, considering I drink something a 1-2 liters of milk a day.

Coincidencially, all the things I take score high on that chart Pike posted. It is also extremely rare for me to become sick, even if I don't care all that much about keeping warm in winters, eating things before they expire, and various other things. Maybe that's the vitamin D at work?!

Pumpkin
10-13-2012, 04:57 PM
No. I have a vitamin D deficiency apparently so I drink vitamin D fortified orange juice.

Mirage
10-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh yeah about vit D. You can basically never get too much of it.

Naturally, there is a "recommended daily amount", but this value is typically more something along the lines of "you should at least have this much, or your health could be less than adequate". In reality, the human body can make good use of much higher amounts than the daily recommended amount, and it is practically impossible to overdose on VitD. You would have to eat something like several fistfuls of vitD supplements a day to get anywhere close to dangerously much.

It is used in just about every cell division process in your body.

Shiny
10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a Vitamin D deficiency due to the fact that I'm lactose intolerant so I take D3 and fish oil pills, but I don't take a multivitamin. I should start taking vitamins more regularly.

Fish oil pills are amazing though. I have arthritis and I've seriously never felt better after taking them. I did a split yesterday.

Taking Biochemistry, I do know that there is a such thing is too much Vitamin C. I've learned that the hard way with drinking a carton of orange juice a day.

Pumpkin
10-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Luckily I don't drink that much. Just a glass a day.

I was getting some leg cramping and swelling issues, which is bad for me because my blood tends to clot severely and I've been hospitalized for it so I'm supposed to be extra cautious about it. Plus its painful. So I went to the doctor and did some tests and luckily it wasn't a blood clot but I was told it was probably from the vitamin D deficiency. Now that I've been drinking the vitamin D fortified orange juice, I haven't had another cramp since, so I'm happy.

Slothy
10-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Fish oil pills are amazing though. I have arthritis and I've seriously never felt better after taking them. I did a split yesterday.

Fish oil is a freaking miracle for inflammation. I'd probably still be having shoulder issues if it weren't for that stuff.

And I didn't think of it earlier but I do take Vitamin D as well when I remember to. No real reason aside from hearing some people mention they get sick less often when taking it and that it can be beneficial for people suffering from depression. Haven't looked into much of the science behind it yet but the stuff's cheap so I figured why not just take it and see if I notice any positive changes?

Jiro
10-14-2012, 03:07 AM
I always forget to take my pills and supplements.

Flaming Ice
10-14-2012, 04:00 AM

That reminds me, we make it a point to make food with extra garlic in it at least once a week :D

I eat garlic pretty much everyday :)

I have supplements every once in a while but they are my parents.

Vitamin C (usually if I'm sick or don't want something sugary...well mainly fruits are where I'll get it) or calcium/vit d if I'm not going to drink milk (milk contains hormones so best not to drink too much).

Mirage
10-14-2012, 04:05 AM
It does? Which?

Aulayna
10-14-2012, 04:07 AM
I brought supplements in the best interests of taking them. Always forget too though.

Oddly one of my colleagues who could be aptly described as a "supplement whore," is pretty much chronically suffering from a cold. I'm sure that's enough circumstance evidence to prove that supplements are bad right... right?

Mirage
10-14-2012, 04:12 AM
my fish oil supplements taste of vanilla

that helps a lot

Slothy
10-14-2012, 04:20 AM

that helps a lot

I get the big ass pills that don't taste like anything. It's a bit rough when I'm recovering from an injury though and go up to 20 a day. Although I do take them two at a time to get it over with faster.

NorthernChaosGod
10-14-2012, 05:23 AM

that helps a lot

I get the big ass pills that don't taste like anything. It's a bit rough when I'm recovering from an injury though and go up to 20 a day. Although I do take them two at a time to get it over with faster.

Mine taste like strawberries. Until you swallow and then it's all kinds of fish.

Quindiana Jones
10-14-2012, 09:04 AM
(milk contains hormones so best not to drink too much).

:stare:

Tigmafuzz
10-14-2012, 09:13 AM

YOU EAT YOUR PARENTS?!

Flaming Ice
10-15-2012, 02:16 AM
It does? Which?

http://acne.about.com/od/acnetriggers/a/milkandacne.htm

Flaming Ice
10-15-2012, 02:18 AM

YOU EAT YOUR PARENTS?!

Well...you are what you eat....I want to at least keep my humanity a while longer before I go insane.

Mirage
10-15-2012, 02:42 AM
That sounded like a whole lot of "some think this and others don't" to me :p.

Flaming Ice
10-15-2012, 02:47 AM

I don't know.

I guess cows that are constantly producing milk have more hormones going through the milk (especially if they're pregnant).

Eh, but every time you read of food there's so many do's and don't so it's hard to decide. Like wheat has anti-nutrients in it, which steal things like calcium and iron.

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Unless you're sucking it straight from the cow, you're fine on the hormone front.

Sephex
10-15-2012, 03:58 AM
I take a one a day men's vitamin so it can help my chest hair scare women and pedophiles.

Mirage
10-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Unless you're sucking it straight from the cow, you're fine on the hormone front.

Oh, well. Guess I should change part of my diet, then.

Jinx
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Happy Noodle Boy stopped drinking milk to clear up his face. Worked for him.

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Happy Noodle Boy stopped drinking milk to clear up his face. Worked for him.

Flaming Ice
10-15-2012, 07:53 PM

.....But that's the freshest way to do it :cry:

Tigmafuzz
10-15-2012, 08:36 PM

We need to party.

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't ever want to go to your parties, Tigz xD.

Flaming Ice
10-16-2012, 03:36 AM

We need to party.

Oh..we suck a drunk cow dry `.~?

DMKA
10-16-2012, 05:50 AM
I try to take those One-a-Day things but I always forget to take them. I've been on the same bottle for like six months now. :p